• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diagnosed 5 years ago, now having kidney problems?

I'm a longtime lurker on this site, and this is my first post. I was diagnosed in 2008 with Crohn's primarily in my ileum after years of misdiagnoses and no answers for my severe weight loss, fatigue, nausea, and of course painful and incredibly frequent diarrhea. It was a relief to finally have a name for what had caused me years of confusion, embarrassment, and pain.

In the past I have taken pentasa, lialda, entocort HC, and a host of other drugs to get me into remission.

In the last 3 months I have started flaring again. I had an MR enterography with barium and contrast over the weekend. My large intestine was inflamed, but I am much more worried about what my GI called to tell me about the results in relation to my kidneys. She said my right kidney has several wedge like masses of inflammation, and also my blood tests came back positive for hypercalcemia (in addition to my usual deficiences- B vitamins, iron, potassium, and vitamin D) even though I am NOT currently taking a calcium supplement. I also have been experiencing occult blood in the stool regularly for the past few weeks.

My GI said we can pretty much rule out a kidney infection, which would be best case scenario, as I don't have any of the typical signs associated with it. She started taking about nephritis- possibly from lupus (I have not been diagnosed with lupus and have no family history of it) as well as the possibility of me passing small blood clots through the kidneys. I am scheduled to see a nephrologist in the coming weeks and they also ordered blood and urine tests I am getting done tomorrow. I am just writing to see if anyone else has ever experienced their Crohn's affecting the kidneys?? I am very anxious about all this and would love input from anyone who has gone through even a mildly similar situation. I am only 26 so I am shocked to be having kidney problems- something I thought I wouldn't face until I was much older if at all! I am 5'5" and due to my recent weight loss at a low of 100 pounds. We're also doing another colonscopy and endoscopy in the next few weeks. I am just so tired all the time, and overwhelmed by this latest news. I also have fibromyalgia and PTSD. It seems like if its not one thing, its another.. Thanks for listening! :sign0144::sign0085:

Last edited:

nogutsnoglory

I'm very sorry to hear about this and hope you get to the bottom of what's going on with the nephrologist. I have read a lot and spoken with so many with IBD and haven't heard of a relationship with kidney problems. I learn new things about this crazy disease every day but just chiming in to say its probably not related.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi redsox28 and :welcome:

I am sorry to hear of all you are going through. :(

Your kidney's can be affected by Crohn's disease. While I can't say what your exact problem is my own have issues with hydronephrosis whilst flaring. For them the swollen and inflamed bowel was causing pressure against the right the ureter, this in turn caused an obstrustion. The obstruction of the ureter then resulted in urine backing up into the kidney causing it to swell and for one of my children, the more severely affected, it caused quite a degree of pain.

The other issue that quite a few people with Crohn's face is kidney stones due to problems with the exchange of nutrients in and out of the bowel as digestion takes place. If you have disease in the small bowel, and resections/stoma, then it will put you at greater risk of this complication occuring.

I hope you find answers soon and please keep us posted with how you get on.

Good luck!

Dusty. xxx

Hi.i just started with this from and ur topic caught my attention. First, let me introduce my story. I was diagnosed in 2006 accidentally because my complaint in the beginning was actually endometriosis. I had severe dysmenorrhea but accompanied with severe abdominal pain and diarrhea and blood streaked mucuid stool. I got my endometriosis fixed by total abdominal hysterectomy w right oopherictomy since only right ovary as enlarged in the beginning.i was on luprolex for 6 months to save my left ovary that really give me severe bone pain and muscle pain.(that how the worst began)to the point I can't lift my neck from time to time.Anyways, 6 months later after that, my left ovary was removed also, not anymore endometriosis, but a tumor so now, I'm surgically on menopause at 37 years old.i was lo diagnose for severe GERD last 2002 took nexium 40 mg for 8years. I have a pretty decorative medical history but can come back to that if necessary on discussion since I also suspect if prpton pump inhibitor can contribute to IBD.
My endometriosis work up promted me to see a gastroenterologist since my gastrointestinal problem also occur during my painful and agonizing menstruation.I got my first colonoscopy done in 2006 and and also upper and lower GI barium scan. Found out to have Ulcerative colitis which flare up during mentruation that was aggravated by endometrial tissue clinging my guts like cement as what my ob gyn surgeon said during the surgery.after my ovaries and uterus removed, my monthly flare up was gone. But more problems set in related to menopausal symptoms like severe allergies with food and inhalants like pollens and perfume, etc which I didn't have before.i use to drink a lot of milk but became lactose intolerant after that. I'm not really sure if all my symptoms re related to menopausal consequences or the ulcerative colitis itself(severe fatigue ,allergies, severe bone and muscle pain, memory lapses,depression,gatroparesis,nausea, headache, diarrhea, constipation,abdominal cramps, nasal problem, etc. got multiple kidney stone which my doctor told me is part of the disease process.it was treated with rowatinex and were dissolved.i have recurrent uti and went thru a couple of test. My kidneys were fine ultrasonic ally in the beginning but the last one was a bit enlarged. I always have this burning sensation when I pee especially if I don't drink lots of water. My urine is brownish but my creatinine and BUN were fine. I was treated recently with antibiotics for mu recurrent uti and observing my symptoms. I'm currently maintaining 3000 mg salofalk, lact.plantarum capsules, etc.so I wonder if the long time meds already strain my kidneys.