Share Facebook

02-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
D Bergy

Turmeric / Curcumin

Here is a pretty good summary of the benefits of Turmeric from Dr. Mercola's site. This is one of my mainstay supplements for Crohn's, and to prevent other diseases.

It is a source of Iron which is something we are generally trying to increase anyway.

Turmeric’s Beneficial Effects in a Nutshell

Strengthens and improves digestion

* Reduces gas and bloating
* Assists in the digestion of protein and with rice and bean dishes
* Improves your body's ability to digest fats
* Promotes proper metabolism, correcting both excesses and deficiencies
* Maintains and improves intestinal flora
* Improves elimination of wastes and toxins

Supports healthy liver function and detox

* Turmeric helps increase bile flow making it a liver cleanser that can rejuvenate your liver cells and recharge their capability to break down toxins
* Helps to prevent alcohol and other toxins from being converted into compounds that may be harmful to your liver
* Supports formation of healthy tissue

Purifies your blood

* Stimulates formation of new blood tissue
* Anti-inflammatory: Helps to reduce irritation to tissues characterized by pain, redness, swelling and heat

Contains curcuminoids that fight cancer, arthritis, and Alzheimer’s

* Curcuminoids are potent phytonutrients (plant-based nutrients) that contain powerful antioxidant properties
* Counteract the damaging effects of free radicals in your body
* Relieve arthritis pain and stiffness, anti-inflammatory agent
* Anti-carcinogenic: “Curcumin has been shown to prevent a large of number of cancers in animal studies. Laboratory data indicate that curcumin can inhibit tumor initiation, promotion, invasion, angiogenesis and metastasis.”[1]
* Supports treatment of Alzheimer’s disease: “Because Alzheimer's disease is caused in part by amyloid-induced inflammation, curcumin has been shown to be effective against Alzheimer's. Clinical trials are in progress at UCLA with curcumin for Alzheimer's.”[2]

For the full article.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...Arthritis.aspx

Dan
02-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
daisy_dueller

Stupid question...what the heck is turmeric???
02-18-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
BWS1982

In most cases, consumers run into it as a spice or food additive, like Ginger or dill, as it is plant based seasoning...but it can be used as a supplement too, like Ginger (and dill weed I believe)...

-diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in Sept. 2006, currently 28 years old

"Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird."

"Men with Spartan lives, simple in their creature comforts, if only to allow for the complexity of their passions." -The X-Files, S4
02-18-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
D Bergy

Turmeric is a common spice in Indian food. Curry has quite a bit in it. It gives Indian food that orange color. It is in most any grocery store, and also available in capsule form which is how I take it.

Dan
02-18-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
GoJohnnyGo
One Badass Dude

Turmeric is what helps make hotdog mustard that bright yellow too.

I've incorporated more turmeric, ginger and mild curries into my diet over the last six months and I feel much better for it (or at least my tastebuds do, LOL).
02-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
daisy_dueller

hmmm...sounds like it's pretty beneficial...must as my GI about that next visit.
02-21-2009, 12:35 AM   #7
GoJohnnyGo
One Badass Dude

Good stuff too!

I have the little jars of the spice mixes which I get from the supermarket. Sprinkle it on fish or chicken or whatever baked in the oven. Mix it in with rice like it was salt and pepper. Comes in a lot of chutneys and pastes and whatnot too,

One of these days I'll venture over to an East Indian store and get the genuine fresh-ground stuff.

I have a doctor from India, and he's actually pretty hip to the idea of diet as a means to good health. All that stuff is good for me he says.
02-26-2009, 06:40 AM   #8
Mazen

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...gqitj3li.alice

Conclusions: The degree of colitis caused by administration of DSS was significantly attenuated by colonic delivery of SLMs of curcumin. Being a nontoxic natural dietary product, curcumin could be useful in the therapeutic strategy for inflammatory bowel disease patients.
02-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
D Bergy

There are a few studies that come to a similar conclusion. As I also use anecdotal evidence in treatments, I noted that some people are having success using Turmeric in reducing the symptoms of Hidradenitis Suppurativa. This disease sometimes accompanies Crohn's and is autoimmune in nature also.

Personally, when using it as part of a treatment for Crohn's using only supplements I had to take 1500 mg twice a day of Turmeric and I also took the same amount of Ginger which has similar properties. I also took a normal dosage of Krill Oil. This amount reduced my symptoms by approximately 60%. I never took more than that amount.

If I was doing the same treatment today, I would add a Magnesium Supplement. Magnesium Citrate to be specific. Mag Oxide can work as a laxative, which i do not need.

It was not a perfect treatment, but the difference was noticeable. No side effects noted.

Dan
08-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #10
unfot

Hi there,

Has someone here looked into the claimed turmeric benefits? What are they supposed to be all about?
08-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #11
fenway1971
Sports Crohnie

I haven't looked into them but since reading this post in Feb, I started taking daily supplements. I'm feeling great (could be a combo of anything) and continue to take it.

Crohn's Colitis (2003-present)
Kidney Stones (1998, 2003, 2008)

Medication
6-MP (2009-present)

Vitamins/Supplements
Multivitamin, Vitamin D, Turmeric

Super Powers
I am Batman

08-26-2009, 07:00 AM   #12
Mazen

Here are some info on Turmeric and Crohn's:

http://herbalmedicine.suite101.com/a...atmentturmeric

http://www.prohealth.com/library/sho...858&t=CFIDS_FM

Conclusions

This research is the first evaluation of curcumin and its effects on the MAPKs and NF- B in an experimental model of IBD. In addition to the demonstration that it is able to diminish inflammatory activity in IBD, the Canadian team demonstrated it can reduce NF- B DNA binding activity as well as inhibiting the activation of p38 MAPK antibodies and that the anti-inflammatory effects of curcumin involve a reduction in myeloperoxidase activity, a reduction in the number of infiltrating neutrophils, as well as a reduced expression of the message for IL-1.

Precisely how curcumin achieves its effects is not clear. It has been shown to possess free radical scavenging (antioxidant) properties in addition to its known effects on the activation of NF- B. Its in vivo effects may well rely on a complementation of these two and other activities.

Although curcumin has been shown to be safe up to levels as high as 10 percent (100,000 ppm), the researchers showed effectiveness at a concentration as low as 0.25 percent. This dose was well tolerated with no reduction in dietary intake. Further work will help to clarify the optimal dose for this and other models of IBD.

This research proves that curcumin may prove to be a cheap, well-tolerated, and effective therapy for inflammatory bowel disease. This food ingredient has for generations been regarded as a potent anti-inflammatory within many eastern civilizations. It is equally intriguing that the same agent is a potent antineoplastic agent. It may hold promise for the treatment of IBD in humans.

Source: July 2003 edition of the American Journal of Physiology––Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology
08-26-2009, 08:23 AM   #13
D Bergy

If you go to Google Scholar, and type in Turmeric, you will be busy for a while. It is one of the most studied spices around. I took small amounts of Turmeric before I was diagnosed, just for the many health benefits.

Here are a few links I saved.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/turmeric-000277.htm

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/lox.htm

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/boils_turmeric.html
08-26-2009, 11:25 PM   #14
GoJohnnyGo
One Badass Dude

I've been taking Tumeric (or curcumin) capsules every day for about nine months now. I definitely think they help.
08-27-2009, 11:47 PM   #15
seaofdreams

My Support Groups:
This may sound a bit silly but if I an unable to find the capsules anywhere, could I fashion my own out of the pure spice and the empty capsules you can get from health stores? I'm really interested in the benefits but I can't seem to find the capsules anywhere.
08-28-2009, 07:15 AM   #16
unfot

Heya, what are the claimed turmeric benefits from taking the herb? Is there any information here about the supposed benefits of turmeric?
08-28-2009, 08:47 AM   #17
D Bergy

Yes, you can make your own capsules. There are a couple of things to consider when using Turmeric or Curcummin.

Curcumminoids are the stuff in Turmeric that makes it anti-inflammatory. You can by either Turmeric, which has some Curcumminoids in it, or Curcummin which has more Curcumminoids than regular Turmeric.

You have to really read the label to know what you are getting as far as concentration of Curcumminoids. One easy way to tell what you are buying, is Curcummin is more expensive than regular Turmeric.

There are many claimed benefits for Turmeric. I can not even remember them all.
I will list what I remember off hand.

Anti-inflammaory, suppresses the TNF-3 response.

Prevents Cancer for reasons related to the above property.

Antibacterial.

Antiparasitic, especially in tincture form. Had some personal experience with this.

Improves cellular function and makes it harder for pathogens to break into cell walls.

Prevents Alzheimers.

Relieves joint pain due to its anti-inflammatory effect.

Prevents DNA damage from radiation.

Thins the blood slightly, and improves Cholesterol.

Prevents arterial blockages due to both the anti-inflammatory properties and blood thinning effect.

This is roughly one third of the benefits I have seen.

Turmeric is used by some with Hidradenitis Suppurativa to improve their skin condition.

Dan
08-28-2009, 09:41 AM   #18
seaofdreams

My Support Groups:
Thanks for that Dan. I might see if I can get Curcummin capsules online somewhere.
08-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #19
D Bergy

I order mine on-line from Puritans Pride, most of the time.

Curcummin is better for inflammation, and Turmeric is better for its antibacterial effect.

That is the main difference between the two products. I use both plus Ginger capsules, as Ginger has similar and yet somewhat different properties. Ginger also helps absorb vitamins and other supplements.

Krill Oil is the next best supplement I use. Anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, lowers cholesterol and helps to balance the Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio.

I would take all of these regardless of whether I had Crohn's or not.

Dan
08-30-2009, 01:16 AM   #20
BWS1982

I've heard so much about the benefits of anti-inflammatory supplements (many from Bergy) that I think I'd take them if I knew about them just for bodybuilding, had I never had Crohn's but stumbled upon the same info. The premise being that inflammation is actually what micro-tears are when you work out (the soreness, also known as DOMS, in the affected muscles after working out).

Anabolic steroids function partly by (same as cortico-steroids) reducing and addressing inflammation (damaged muscle fibers) faster than normal, and I know that many supplements claim to help muscles grow faster and more effectively by having that effect on inflamed muscle tissue post-workout...in theory, anything with anti-inflammatory properties would have the same effect, and help hypertrophy as a result when working out for size gains. The difference being this has a triple benefit as I can use it for Crohn's and general health as well (except the thinning of blood is why I can't take aspirin, I'd have to watch that effect).

I should tell some of my gym buddies too, as it seems to have sound reason behind it, and it's probably cheaper than store bought "bodybuilding supplements" that cost several fold what a spice in pill form probably does, plus it's natural and has other benefits.

Bergy's probably a bodybuilder in disguise, he knows too much about supplements and physiology, plus he's got a great ability to give advice...c'mon Bergy, where's the rest of that picture at?
08-30-2009, 08:47 PM   #21
D Bergy

You would be sorely disappointed, as I have no super buff physique.

I am in pretty good shape from physical work, such as cutting and splitting firewood, etc, but I am not disciplined enough to be body builder.

I know about supplements that can help my wife or myself with respect to general health or specifically for our respective diseases, but there are a lot more I do not know anything about.

I also research alternative treatments, once I discovered they were not all bogus. It will take a lifetime to sort through all of that stuff.

Dan
08-31-2009, 03:55 PM   #22
Hope

Hi D Bergy! I have actually purchased a bottle of Turmeric capsules yesterday! The brand I got is "NewChapter-Tumeric Force (dual extracted Turmeric). I wanted to start to take them, but I am a little hesitant as I have abscesses and I wonder if it is ok to take Turmeric while dealing with abdominal abscesses? Do you know anything about that?
08-31-2009, 11:05 PM   #23
DanSJVDavis

I just ordered a bottle of Boswellin (from the Boswellia Serrata Frankincense) and Curcumin pills and a Boswellia tincture. I'll let you know how it goes when I start it.

http://www.herbalremedies.com/boswellin.html

I started looking up Frankincense because I read it had anti-inflammatory properties and helped the digestion and helped with gas, but found an article on Wiki saying it's been looked at as a possible treatment for Crohn's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankincense

I'm gonna give it a shot, since both are in the same pill.

I Was A Middle Age Writer, my blog on my journey toward becoming a published novelist.

Podunkville FX Pics
Podunkville FX
And here's my MySpace Profile: Dan Davis of Podunkville FX MySpace

Last edited by DanSJVDavis; 08-31-2009 at 11:10 PM.
08-31-2009, 11:41 PM   #24
BWS1982

Well, Frankincense and Myrrh were "linked" to the first coming of Christ....maybe there's something to it, Dan.
09-01-2009, 12:27 AM   #25
D Bergy

Since Turmeric is antibacterial and is present in some food anyway, I do not see any reason you could not use it.

If you are loosing lots of blood or on a blood thinner such as Coumadin, then you may not want to take high doses of Turmeric since it has a slight blood thinning effect.

If you have any questions about it, please consult your doctor. Especially if you are taking any blood thinners.

Dan
09-01-2009, 01:43 AM   #26
Mazen

On my bottle of Turmeric from Nature's Way, they mention not to take it if you have stomach ulcers or gallbladder disease
09-01-2009, 01:48 AM   #27
shazamataz

I went and looked for tumeric in the health shop today - it was nearly $50 new zealand dollars for 60 tablets!!!!!!!

I am already spending nearly $3 a day on supplements and it's getting expensive on a low income!!!

I am going to check with a naturopath in a couple of weeks before splurging any more!
09-01-2009, 08:05 AM   #28
D Bergy

How much is the regular Turmeric spice in the grocery store? This is normally a cheap supplement. It is all the same whether you get capsules or just plain Turmeric off of the shelf.

Dan
09-01-2009, 11:29 AM   #29
DMS

I just read in August '09 Redbook that when you mix turmeric with Black pepper our body can absorb it 2000 times better. (page 66 if anyone wants to check it out)
I guess the question is how reliable is Redbook???
09-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #30
Mark33180

I looked at a few stores and i can't find it, anyone have a good link thats not too expensive?

Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere

Diagnosed with Crohn's 11/01 - Battling ever since