Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » SCD and Paleo Diets » Trying SCD for the first time - my food diary

06-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
glory_h

My Support Groups:
Trying SCD for the first time - my food diary

Hi everyone,

I've been on Pentasa for the last year+ and my symptoms are kept in check but not totally gone. I have about 4-5 bms/day, which are quite soft but usually not what you would consider D. The main issue I have is with urgency. When I have to go, I have to go NOW. My doc said the next step would be to try Prednisone, but it would be up to me because since I'm not too bad off, I may not consider the side effects of Prednisone worth it. Which I don't! I was on Prednisone once and I will do everything possible to avoid taking it again.

Which leads me to the SCD. I've done a lot of research on different diets and after all this, I've decided to try SCD. I know any diet is not a cure for anyone, but I'm hoping this diet can help me control my symptoms.

My husband has what one might call a "sensitive stomach" although he hasn't been diagnosed with anything. He does have some issues though, and so has decided to try the diet with me. For which I am extremely grateful!

I'm posting here as close to daily as possible to list the diet we're following should anyone want to see what a food diet may look like.

We'll be trying the diet for a month, then gauge how much or whether it is helping us, and go from there.

Here goes!
06-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
glory_h

My Support Groups:
Our first day went like this (skipped the intro diet because I felt my symptoms weren't so severe as to warrant it):

Breakfast - one egg with salt and pepper, a bit of olive oil in the pan for cooking; one banana; lots of water; Celestial Seasonings Wild Berry Zinger tea (which I now realize has chicory root in it, so won't be doing that anymore)

Lunch - I just snacked through the day, and sadly only had some grapes. I work from home and often get so caught up in my work that I forget to eat!

Dinner - I made chicken soup with a homemade stock - made from mushroom, cauliflower stalks, sage, and chicken. Added cooked carrots, celery, and onion. Flavored with salt, pepper, and a rosemary infused white wine vinegar. Pretty delicious!

Dessert - more grapes.

Thoughts for the day:
I need to find an SCD legal probiotic. The one I am taking now is Jarrow EPS which I like, but has starch I believe. I'm not in a huge rush to do this.

We cleaned out our fridge and cupboards from anything not SCD legal and gave it to our neighbor. I realized that I still have flax seeds and balsamic vinegar, so need to get rid of those.

I need to research a yoghurt maker - although I'm planning to stay dairy free for a week or so, it would be good to have it when the time comes.
06-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
scooby100

My Support Groups:
well done! u took the right decision - and it worth a try.
just few inputs if I may from our experience in last few months, and surely others will add as well -
1. this diet is not a miracle - itís hard work, commitment ,patience
2. I wouldnít skip intro diet - in fact, at least with our experience - would even adopt GAPS intro diet - I know its strict but as far as I could see - does the job and itís a good starting point to build the diet - also will give u few days to get ready with next steps.
3. start with a limited menu, and slowly introduce more and more food.
4. fats are essential in these diets - to supplement the lack of carbs, reduce cravings etc...
5. personally would suggest to limit the amount of honey, fructose and nuts - itís quite tempting to over consume any of those, that are legal, but at least as per my understanding - the diet should consist of fats, proteins, carbs from legal foods - in this order.

good luck - and donít get frustrated in the 1st few days / weeks - takes time to adapt to this new lifestyle. (in case u are looking for an interesting and link and many advises - scdlifestyle.com)
06-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #4
glory_h

My Support Groups:
Thanks Scooby for the great advice and input.

I'm considering doing the intro diet but am starting with food we have in the house. I agree about the limited menu at first, and especially continuing to limit honey, fructose, etc. Although at this point I am being a bit more lenient because I want to show myself that it is possible to eat on this diet and still satisfy some cravings. I hope to get more and more strict as I go along.

Here's what I ate Wednesday:

Breakfast: Fruit smoothie in the morning with pineapple, mango, strawberry, banana, and water. That was delicious but not very filling.

Lunch: Leftover chicken soup. Even better day two, but again, not very filling.

Snack: Some cheddar cheese and cashews.

Dinner: Sauteed zucchini, tomatoes, and onions. I had a heaping bowl full.

After dinner snack: Colby jack cheese.

Thoughts:

I was hungry all day and definitely need to figure out how much food I'll need to eat to not be starving.

I did feel pretty good though. Quite tired in the morning but felt hardly any bloating all day!
06-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
glory_h

My Support Groups:
My goal for Thursday was to not be hungry!

Thursday's meals:

Breakfast: Banana with natural peanut butter.

Lunch: Tuna with onions, celery, homemade mayonnaise, mustard powder, salt, pepper.

Snacks: Cheddar cheese

Dinner: Seared tuna steak with salt and pepper, sautťed yellow bell peppers, pineapple, and onion. Steamed artichoke dipped in butter. Small glass of Brut.

Dessert: Strawberries.

Thoughts for today:
I really would like to make some bread. I felt quite satisfied/full with today's meals, especially dinner, but I think bread would be great to have around the house when I'm getting hungry.
06-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
I'm no expert on SCD so I can't tell you anything useful, but it looks like you're not getting in enough calories, which would make sense if you've been feeling hungry.

This was one of the big problems I had with diets that eliminated processed foods, sugars, grains, etc. (besides the fact that they didn't make me feel any better!) - it's so hard to get in enough calories from vegetables and fish. I don't know which foods are permitted on SCD, but from your food diary I'm assuming you're allowed nuts, cheese and olive oil, which are high calorie foods so you might want to eat more of them if you're feeling hungry on this diet.

Just out of interest, would you be able to give an idea of what sort of portion sizes you're having? I've heard from a few people who are on this or similar diets that they don't have any trouble maintaining weight, so I'd be interested to know as it would give me an idea of whether I'm just not able to consume the portions that most people can, or whether I just seem to need more calories than others.

Also are you able to eat all those vegetables without the fibre giving you problems?

How are you feeling? I guess it's too early to feel any effects of this diet yet? I hope you start getting some improvements soon.
06-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
Beach
Forum Monitor

Best of luck Glory with the diet! Thought to quickly comment on the hunger feeling - I'm also on a similar diet that has been helping my IBD. I'm having good success with it.

Early on was feeling fairly hungry most the time also. It didn't matter how much I ate, I still never felt completely full.

What helped me with that problem was avoiding dairy products such as cheese, along with other cow items such as beef and gelatin too - which is an annoyance since gelatin is used as a shell for many supplements. I find myself in the mornings cutting a few supplements open to squirting the contents out.

I don't know why this idea helped. It only took a day of dairy and beef avoidance for me to notice a difference with my hunger situation.
06-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
glory_h

My Support Groups:
Thanks UnXmas and Beach for your replies. After the past few days I have some insights into what's working for me, how I'm doing etc, especially regarding hunger.

In answer to your question about portion sizes, UnXmas, in general I'd say quite large. For instance that tuna steak, I had about three "serving suggestions", and for the vegetables, they're generally covering my whole (large) plate.

Now here's my food diary for the last few days and in relation to that I will discuss hunger and other issues.
06-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
glory_h

My Support Groups:
Friday:

Breakfast - omelette/scramble with two eggs, cheddar cheese, tomatoes, onions, salt, pepper. Banana and strawberries on the side.

Lunch - more artichoke! I love artichokes. Dipped in butter.

Dinner - Salad with lettuce, grilled chicken breast, bacon, onion, cheddar, tomato.

Then we went to a wedding with a h'ordeuvres buffet. I had more cheese (cheddar and colby jack), and some fruit, blueberries, kiwi, strawberries, pineapple, and watermelon. This was my first outing on the diet and it was actually not that tempting to eat sweets/other stuff.

On the way home we grabbed a bottle of wine (no booze at this wedding) and had a glass of that before bed.

Overall felt pretty good today. Little bloating, still quite hungry though!
06-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
glory_h

My Support Groups:
Saturday:

Didn't really eat breakfast - snacked throughout the morning on an apple and nuts.

Lunch - Some of my husband's egg sandwich interiors - eggs, pastrami, some veggies. Leftover veggies from Wednesday - zucchini, onions, tomatoes. Had to eat up what was left in the fridge!

I didn't eat a lot because I didn't feel too good today. I had a headache that progressively got worse throughout the day. I also felt nauseous at times, and sometimes lightheaded/dizzy. Around 3 I took an hour nap. Then we went for an easy hike with our dog. My headache and nausea passed.

I looked up info about bacteria die-off symptoms because I was curious if that might have been making me feel weird. I did find that some symptoms of die-off include headache, nausea, and dizziness. And, guess what else? Extreme hunger! I guess the bacteria emit some kind of chemical when they are "hungry" and your body interprets that as a need for carbs, or whatever the bacteria feed on. So that was a good (?) sign.

Dinner was amazing. We ate a huge salad with mixed greens, chopped veggies, an amazing dressing my husband threw together, and an egg over easy on the side. I also found some SCD legal hot dogs - woo! So I had a hotdog and a hamburger. The hamburger had a few spices in it, some chopped japapenos, and was stuffed with a tiny bit of blue cheese. We had it with some SCD legal hard cider that we found - Crispin Honey Crisp doesn't have additives and is sweetened with only honey - and had a delightful dinner! I was completely satisfied after that meal.
06-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
glory_h

My Support Groups:
Sunday morning I woke feeling good and not hungry.

For breakfast I had an apple with peanut butter and honey - very filling!

For lunch I had tuna salad with homemade mayonnaise and lots of chopped veggies. I put a slice of cheddar on top and heated it, making a tuna melt of sorts. Delish!

The day was going good and I wasn't feeling hungry, just satisfied.

The afternoon/evening was a bit challenging though. We went to a movie with some friends and didn't order our usual popcorn. After the movie started I was fine but on our way to our seats and before the movie, the smells were taunting me! That was tough. I was proud of my husband for not getting popcorn either!

After the movie we went to dinner and fortunately we went to a place that I knew would have some SCD legal stuff. We ordered a meal to split: brisket with sauce on the side, green salad with dressing on the side, and pork collard greens. Unfortunately our dingy waitress (I'm blaming her because she also messed up our check and someone else's order) didn't get the sauce on the side. So I was left with just the green salad and the collards. Which were okay - the collards were actually quite tasty - but I looked kind of stupid in front of my friends for eating only a few vegetables. Everyone else was chowing down on huge meals and I got that "no wonder you're so skinny" vibe. My husband ate the brisket*, and I decided to wait until we got home to eat dinner. I did have a delicious drink which helped. It was melon-infused vodka with seltzer and nothing else. Mmm! I want to try this at home. I hadn't had hard liquor for a while so that was a nice treat.

When we got home I ate two hot dogs. Pretty pathetic.

Eating out (even before SCD) stresses me out because I always wonder what I will be able to eat. But it's such a big part of the culture where I live (Portland, OR) that it's hard to avoid it. I'd rather have people over so I know I can prepare lots of delicious foods for everyone, instead of ordering just veggies every time and looking like a martyr.

Overall today I felt okay, but by the end of the day I was starting to feel a bit bloated - when I went to bed I realized I hadn't had a bm all day. So now constipation seems to be setting in. Perhaps I should cut the cheese (pun intended!).

*My husband was great with me on this diet for the first three days but I have to admit he has very low will-power. He'll eat on the diet when we're home but when we're out all bets are off. At the wedding he ate whatever he wanted (although he agreed it wasn't worth it later), and over the weekend he ordered that egg sandwich at a cafe, and a few other things I can't remember, as well as cheesy potatoes with his brisket. I know this diet is for me primarily, but it's really tough when someone you thought was your partner in this endeavor can't stick to it. I feel even more isolated when we go out to eat and I'm by myself eating a sad plate of mushy vegetables. Anyone have tips for this?
06-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
I'm sorry your husband isn't being quite as supportive as he could be, though it does sound as if he's at least making a little effort.

I get the comments when eating out also. I'm not on any specific diet any more, but my appetite is tiny and quite often eating sets off diarrhoea, so often the last thing I want to do when I'm with people and trying to enjoy myself or have a day out is eat a meal. I don't find it difficult to resist, even when I'm with others who are eating and I can smell their foods, because I know what the effects on me will be if I eat! I do feel like I'm missing out sometimes, but since the negative effects on my digestive system are pretty immediate, I learned very quickly that it really isn't worth it. However much I like the taste of something, feeling stuffed full, bloated and having to run to the bathroom makes it an easy choice. But perhaps if you start feeling the benefits of your diet it will be enough incentive for you to not mind having to avoid some foods. I think I miss being able to fully join in social occasions and eating foods for nostalgic reasons more than simply for the tastes.

I usually just have a very small portion when I'm eating out. I don't usually bother ordering my own meal in a restaurant because it's just not worth spending the money for how little I'm going to eat. I just eat small portions from other people's plates - as long as I'm only with family or close friends. Most restaurants (the type I go to anyway) don't seem to mind having a customer who's not eating, especially since I'll still order drinks. I think you'll probably learn which places you can eat out and what adjustments to items on a restaurant's menu you can ask for as you spend longer on the diet. Perhaps your husband will also learn some meals that he really likes that comply with your diet too, which will help him to stick closer to what you're eating. It may be that you just need more time to experiment and find things you both like.
06-26-2013, 12:56 AM   #13
glory_h

My Support Groups:
Thanks UnXmas for your reply! I feel a lot like you do - I don't have a problem not eating out or sitting with other people while they eat, but the hard part is that they are apologetic or think it's weird that I don't eat (as much). It's more the social aspect than the craving of the food aspect.

My husband is doing well at being supportive at home, even cooking me meals yesterday and today! Just eating out is the issue...
06-26-2013, 01:05 AM   #14
glory_h

My Support Groups:
Monday

Breakfast: This morning I baked my first loaf of SCD bread using the recipe in BTVC. I ran out of almond flour and used half coconut flour. The bread was quite tasty! A bit dry/crumbly though. I loved sinking my teeth into that bread! I am excited to try experimenting with other kinds of nut flours and honey amounts, and added things like raisins.

Lunch: More bread and a Peanut Butter Cookie Larabar. Does anyone have any opinions on Larabars?

Dinner: One apple/chicken sausage and one hot dog, with a large salad including some chopped veggies. The sausage is SCD legal from what I can tell - just meat and some spices, but it does have some fruit juice concentrate in it and the origins of that may be questionable. Had some mustard on the sausage.

I went to Costco and stocked up on some SCD foods today - broccoli, avocados, salmon, canned tuna, sausages, salad mix, celery, fruit for smoothies, and SCD legal Omega 3's.

I felt a bit constipated in the morning but after a mid-morning BM felt fine! I had great energy today too. Woke up before 5 naturally and was ready to go. Did take two small naps during the day though. But my energy was at a good level for me.
06-26-2013, 01:14 AM   #15
glory_h

My Support Groups:
Tuesday - One week on the diet!

(Late) Breakfast: A HUGE smoothie with pineapple, mango, banana, strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, blackberry.

Lunch: SCD bread and some marcona almonds.

Dinner: Almost the same as last night - one sausage, one hot dog, salad with one tomato and a few blue cheese crumbles.

This morning I was exhausted. Slept through my alarm for a few hours, finally getting up around 9:30. Once I was up and about I felt good but I could not get out of bed. Maybe had something to do with the overcast rainy sky today. Felt the urge to go when I was laying in bed but it wasn't urgent. When I finally got out of bed I had a fairly solid BM - at least the most solid I've had in a while.

It seems that less cheese is better. A small amount seems fine but I was really overdoing it with the cheese from the get-go.

I'm craving crispy things like chips because I like the texture and the snackability of them. I think I'll make some dehydrated zucchini chips which have much the same texture.

Overall at one week I am surprised at how much the diet has changed how I feel. I didn't expect a change this fast. I know I have a long way to go still and will probably have ups and downs as I figure this out, but I am motivated to continue doing it for now. I have had like zero urgency problems despite eating lots of fibrous things.

On a related note I have some skin rashes on my elbows and knuckles, and some mild acne, and am hoping the SCD might help with that too. Does anyone have experience with that?
07-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #16
glory_h

My Support Groups:
Hi everyone! Today marks 2 weeks + 2 days on the diet.

I've been sticking to it quite strictly even in social situations, parties, etc. My friends have been getting the picture quite nicely and aren't offended when I bring "weird" desserts to events. And have been accommodating too, which is nice.

Overall I've been feeling quite good. I'm not going to post a week+ of food diary because I'm simply too lazy! I find myself munching throughout the day and forgetting to record my little snacks.

Some cheats that I accidentally partook of:
I had some shelled peanuts. I mistakenly remembered them being okay, instead of the unshelled peanuts that are okay. I realize this is only supposed to be allowed after 6 months, too, which is why it is an accidental cheat.

Tequila. I had one shot of tequila. I've been keeping my alcohol intake quite low (despite what the week I posted above looks like) but I did have tequila and realize now that it's debatably illegal.

How I've been feeling:
My energy has vastly improved. I used to nap at least once, sometimes twice a day. And these are hour or two hour naps. Then I'd still sleep 8+ hours a night. Now I am okay without naps. Although I really enjoy napping and in a luxurious moment might nap, it's now only because I can, not because I have to.

I read acemagic's update about paleo and how his Crohn's has returned, but that he's going to stick on the diet because of the impact on his energy level. I am feeling the same. So far I am doing well but even if I flare while on this diet, I think it's worth it for energy. It feels like I am feeding my body good things instead of weighing it down with crap.

I've become way more conscious of just how much garbage is in our food. Even the stuff we think is a whole food/unprocessed still has additives! It's insane. I've always eaten healthily but now I am aware of a whole new level and I am grateful for this experience to help me learn about our food system.

Digestion wise I'm still feeling good. Having one or sometimes two bms/day. And the urgency has pretty much resolved itself despite all the raw veggies and fruits I've been eating. Something must be going right. I will still have some rumbles in my guts but it's not painful like it was just two weeks ago. I can't believe it!

Thanks everyone, for reading. If you have any questions let me know!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » SCD and Paleo Diets » Trying SCD for the first time - my food diary