• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New and dont know what to do

So I am new to this. I was just diagnosed with Crohn's about a month ago. In April, I ended up in the hospital with stomach cramps. They asked if I had diarrhea and I laughed and said I always had it. Of course they look at me like I am crazy. So I had a colonoscopy done. They said they could not get into my terminal ileum. So I had to do "special x-ray". Then last month I went in for my follow up and he said I had two strictures. I will need surgery because he did not believe the meds will help since they where pretty bad. He put me on steroids again and had sent me to a surgeon. The surgeon told me what they will do and someone will call to set up an appt. Well the nurse who called said they are backed up and I will have to wait since they don't have any openings in July. Today is my last down on the steroids and I am not on anything else. I do still have my bentyl and have the pain reliever from the hospital still. I am currently not in any pain unless I bloat or if you push there. I have never thrown up before and I have not lost weight because of this. I just have strictures and Diarrhea. Is this pretty normal? Also should I go back to my doc. and ask for meds or just wait.

Astra

Hiya ash7752
and welcome

Firstly, I've moved you out of the Success Stories, it's ok, takes a while to navigate the forum.
Secondly, breathe sweetie!
Where are you from? Hopefully it's the UK
You can ask for a second, third etc opinion.
ok, here's an example of what's normal, there is no normal!
I have strictures, diarrhea, bloating, and sometimes my terminal ileum is blocked, but....
I'm not gonna let them open me up, not unless I'm knocking on Death's Door.
When you've got time read our treatment forums on other meds, other than steroids, arm yourself with ammo, get a second opinion and until you've exhausted all other avenues, and treatments, and meds etc, sit tight on that surgery. Go and chat with your doc.
Loads of peeps here to advise you, any questions just shout, we don't bite
Take care xxx

Hi there.
I am new myself, just got my diagnosis last month. I have a pretty similar story as you. I've always had stomach problems since I was a kid. My crohns is in my terminal ileum also. I don't know too much about this yet, but if your situation were happening to me and the nurse said they were backed up, I would call and ask for more meds. I also would complain that you are in pain, they should find a way to squeeze you in. I seem to find that every doctor I have leaves some time out of his schedule for emergencies or for patients that simply can't wait. My GI books normal appointments a month or 2 away, but when I explained my symptoms I was in for a colonoscopy the next day. Be persitant. Only you know your pain, she just books the appointment.
I hope everything works out for you. Good luck!

Thank you.. I am from Virginia US. I am still trying to figure out how to work this lol. I made an apt to get a second opinion from a different surgeon. I will bug my GI doc and see what he can do about the meds. I am sorry Krisk to hear about your loss. I hope your dream of having a large family comes true.

Hello Ash,
If you are still looking a second opinion then go to Georgetown Univ hospital.now. It has a very good GI dept esp specializing in IBD. Consult them for second opinion.