• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Crohn's and trying to cope.

Hi everyone!
Im new to the site and new to Crohn's as well. For me it all started when i was 19 and started noticing knee pain. At first I thought it was just from over use, (i had a very physically demanding job at the time) but it just would not go away. Doctor after doctor failed to come up with an answer for me. They sent me to physical therapy, chiropractors, acupuncturists, ect to try to relieve my pain. In the mean time the pain got progressively worse and I began to give up on finding out why. I chalked it up to arthritis,even though I was young, and left it at that. Then I turned 21 and a new host of symptoms came on. Seemingly without warning I would suffer these unimaginable bouts of abdominal pain. It would come on in waves, increasing in intensity with each one until finally I would end up curled up on my bathroom floor, crying and vomitting. As these episodez continued i started praying to vomit because cor anfew short seconds afterward nothing hurt. Again the doctors had nothing for me. One gave me a prescription for Codine and told me to call when I needed a refill. For the next couple of years I used the Codine to control the pain as best I could. I would take one right away when I felt the pain starting, but it never helped much. My doctor had told me to tske them more regularly than that, but I work in healthcare and knew how addictive it could be. I didnt want to end up like that.

So my life went on like that for for five more years until I had my son. Two months after he was born however, I started having incontinence problems. I was so eembarrased that i tried desperately to hide it for a year. It took over my life. I was even afraid to go to the grocery store because I never knew when IT would happen. What finally made me fess up and go to yet another doctor? I lost control of my bowels in the fire hall while speaking to a group. It was the worst moment of my life and I knew I needed help.

Fast forward a bit and we have a diagnosis of microscopic colitis. I was put on Sulfasalazine but still had problems. Eventually the side effects became worse than the colitis so I found a gastroenterologist. A second colonoscopy and a pill camera revealex that it was not colitis anymore, but Crohns in the ileum and transverse colon. The news was a blow but i tried to handle it for my family's sake. It has taken some time, an very restrictive diet, and many meds but things are finally calming down. And Im dealing with it much better now.

The only problem i have now is that I seem to be sick ALL the time! I just got over a C. Diff infection, and then endex up with a yeast infection, and now I have cold-like symptoms that have literally come on in seconds and are horrible! I dont know what to do anymore. If its not one thing its another. I just keep praying that tomorrow is a new day; it has to get better soon.

I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. It sounds like you have had quite the ride to get here, Um so sorry to hear that.

Are you on immunosuppressant or biologics? They can some times cause you to pick up every little thing. Also, have you had your vitamin levels tested? Always a good idea since those with CD can have deficiencies due to malabsorption. My son has his vitamin D(low has to supplement) , B12, zinc, folic acid and a couple more checked every 6 months.

I do hope you can find some relief soon!

I've just gone through two bad cold/flus and really sore throats the past few weeks. I noticed that I am more prone to being ill when stressed as well. Not sure if having Crohn's means that we are more prone to general illnesses and other problems but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

I hope you start to feel better soon. Is there anything your doctors can do to help you?

Having Crohn's is very hard to come to terms with, I still haven't :)

Thanks for the responses guys. To answer your questions, I've been on Pentasa for a few weeks now and it is helping the CD. I don't know if it would cause me to have lowers immunity though. ?

Pentasa isn't an immunosuppressant so it shouldn't lower your immune system. But I could be wrong, hopefully someone with more knowledge or experience of 5ASA's will be by that can help more. My son has never used Pentasa.

It's basically a form of asprin. I take two 500 mg pills a day. To much does not agree with me. It does work though. It works above the ileum. I hope it works for you.

I have had crohns for over 40 years and I have been having a Geat life. Crohns can be the pits sometimes, but hang in there and keep smiling.:ysmile::ysmile: