Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Trying juicing and Organ Meats. Need a LOT of help. Please please RESPOND :)

06-22-2013, 01:40 AM   #1
Dereksmagic

Trying juicing and Organ Meats. Need a LOT of help. Please please RESPOND :)

So I go a juicer, and juiced up a storm tonight, I added in all the stuff I read online is good for the gut and inflammation. And then I messed it all up by adding in too much ginger root and made it taste NASTY! so im pitching it all. really upset.

Right now I have, Cucumber, Carrots, Apples, Lemons, Limes, Kale, Beats, Spinach, Kiwi, watermelon, Ginger Root, and Garlic Cloves.

Can someone piece me a nice juice recipe using this stuff? (including the amounts of each)

I also picked up some organ meat. Beef tongue, liver, hearts, and chicken gizzards.

Can someone recommend a good recipe and easy way to cook these items. I have a convection toaster oven also, if I can convection bake any of it.

I have Worcestershire sauce, lemon, lime, and cilantro to dress up the meat.

Can I put fried onions on the liver? I dont know if I can eat them.

Any help would be great, I spent a TON of money on food today and dont really know what to do with it all lol. Stupid move a bit.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Colitis/Crohns
Balasalazide
Uceris (Replaced my Prednisone)
Chlordiazepoxide (Anti-cramping meds)
Humera - 40mg pen every week

Pain
Percocets 10/325 x6
Fentenyl Patch 50mg/hr
Methocarbamol (Muscle relaxers for my spasms)

Supps
Multi Vitamin Gummys
Iron Supplement
Hair, Skin and Nails (My hair is falling out!)
Trunature - Probiotics
B12 Injections
06-22-2013, 01:47 AM   #2
Dereksmagic

Oh and Beats. I have 4 huge beats I can juice also.
06-22-2013, 04:15 AM   #3
helena101

My Support Groups:
Hi Derek,
Hopefully someone will be along soon with more advice than what I have...
I would keep the quantity of beets and ginger SMALL in the juice, like the size of the top of your thumb for the ginger. Not sure for the beets, but start with a small amount of them too as they are bitter. Personally, I would skip the garlic entirely in the juice, I can't imagine it tasting decent at all...
I would skip the fried onions too. Frying isn't easy on the gut, and onions can be difficult even for people without digestive issues...
Hopefully someone comes on soon with an actual recipe for u!
06-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
scottsma

My Support Groups:
Hi Derek,If you'll excuse me for saying so,I think you've gone at it like a bull at a gate.You've bought too much stuff and now you're overwhelmed.I juice every day (mostly) My base juice is 3 carrots 1 green apple and 1 peeled beet.I add cucumber when I have it.So start slow and small.It's good experimenting.I also use kale and sweet potatos (peeled) As to the meat.I've just bought a slow cooker (crock-pot)which you can leave on all night or day and the meat melts in your mouth.I would go easy on the onions if your not sure.Why don't you google a few easy recipes to start you off.All the best,it's all trial and error as with everything in life
06-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
hugh

My Support Groups:
juicing just comes down to what u like and what u don't.
i'd avoid the garlic (i tried adding onion to a juice once - only once!)

less fruit and more veg means less fructose which is a good thing,

i juice lots of carrots and add anything to that base, never had a problem with beets but it turns your poop red so don't freak out

offal....best to buy it fresh in small amounts
"It's best to cook and eat offal within a day or two of purchasing. Fresh offal should be stored in the coldest part of your fridge. Make sure it can't touch or drip onto other food, especially ready-to-eat foods (such as salad and cooked meat).

Once cooked, offal should be cooled as quickly as possible and stored in the fridge. Brawn, terrines and pts will keep for a few days. Other cooked dishes such as stews should be eaten within two days.

Most offal can be frozen, even once cooked (brawn freezes well for 1-2 months). Raw offal should be frozen on the day or purchase, either wrapped well or left in its packaging, and ideally used within 1-3 months. Defrost offal overnight in the fridge (thawing it quickly out of the fridge increases the risk of food poisoning)."

According to Stephanie Alexander (The Cook's Companion),
- "tongue must always be poached to be tender, even if it is to be glazed and finished on the barbecue, and it's thick skin must be removed after cooking" - peel while still warm

Google for recipes, same with all the other offal.
good luck

Worcestershire sauce -
Vinegar, molasses, water, peppers, corn syrup, salt, soybean, corn protein, Garlic, onions, lemon oil, cloves, anchovies, caramel coloring.

It's more about what you don't eat - wheat,corn, sugar, soy, veg oil etc,
06-23-2013, 05:08 AM   #6
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I can't really help you with recipes, but you may find the meats hard to digest. I eat the meats that many people find icky - liver, kidneys, tongue - but I can only have very small quantities. Not sure why, but white meat like chicken breast seems to be easier to digest. Organ meats are very good for you though, so if you can digest them well they're a good thing to eat! I've had kidneys fried in butter with onions, and didn't have any problems but it was a very small portion, and onions aren't a problem for me like they are for some people. I've also had cold slices of tongue in salads and sandwiches - you can treat it like slices of ham. So start with a very small portion and see how you manage it!
06-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
Twiggy930
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
My favourite juice is the following:

carrots (about 4 large)
beets (about 1 medium)
apple (1)
kale (about 4 large leaves)
celery (about 3 stalks)
ginger (a piece about 1/4 - 1/2 an inch)

My son (who has Crohn's) has not tried this juice (too many veggies for his palate) but he does like the following juice.

oranges (2)
carrots (about 3 large)
apple (2)

FWIW I find that large amounts of juice sometimes give my son abdominal pain.

Also taking: TuZen probiotic and following a low FODMAP diet (not very strictly).

Past Treatments: Prednisone, Flagyl, Cipro, Pentasa, exclusive EN via NG tube (6 weeks), Prevacid, Iberogast (20 drops twice a day) and high doses of vitamin B2.
06-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
Twiggy930
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
As for the organ meats I have found some good recipes on The Paleo Mom's blog.

http://www.thepaleomom.com/

I haven't tried any of the organ meat recipes but I know she has a bunch. Good luck.
06-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
Some great recipes here - the Ready Steady Go is a favourite of mine for energy and contains beetroot.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=41839
Juicing every morning.
Taking vitamin D spray
Multi vits & iron
And Probio 7 probiotic.

Being given a "drugs rest" from Aza - 17/9/14
06-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
I get alot of recipes and info from this site - Jason Vale is the Juice Master

http://www.juicemaster.com/recipes/

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Trying juicing and Organ Meats. Need a LOT of help. Please please RESPOND :)