• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Doctor says I need to double caloric intake

nogutsnoglory

My doctor said the average male eats around 2,000 calories a day but that my body's stores are so depleted I likely need at least 4,000!

I don't even think I get close to 2,000 a day. I want to try this to see if ill feel better and gain weight but what the heck do I eat?

I will need 3 big meals, snacks and like 3 ensures a day and still probably can't get to 4,000.

nogutsnoglory

Thanks Ethan I think something like that would be enormously helpful but I would want an organic or more natural product. I also don't know how safe it is to ingest so much protein as it can be bad on the kidneys. I'd really more like a weight gain formula focused on the calories and maybe some vitamins but less so massive bodybuilder like quantities.

I've often attributed my weight gain over the last few years from weight lifting. Undoubtably that is where most came from. I do though eat a good number of sweat potatoes/ starchy tubers, which is something Hugh mentions in another thread helped him to gain weight. I also eat 2 or 3 oranges a day. (It started when I moved to Florida and neighbors kept bringing me their oranges!)

Ok, so I guess the obvious ideas are never buy anything reduced fat.. Use full fat milk, butter etc.

What things do you have trouble eating NGNG? I don't wanna suggest a load of stuff you don't eat.

I would suggest as much protein type food as possible, try and have some with every meal (although you should be trying that anyway).

I think we have often said on here avocados are rich in calories and really good for you.

To be honest I think its going to be really hard to get to 4000 calories healthily (I mean without eating a load of cakes and Burgers...) Did your doctor give you any pointers on this? I reckon supplement drinks might be the only way to go on this... Along with as balanced diet as possible of course.

The best food I've found is peanut butter - you can by organic if that's a concern for you - but smooth peanut butter is high calorie, contains the "good" rather than "bad" fats, cheap and easily available, and tastes good!

But I can't imagine how you'd get in 4000 calories no matter what you eat!
I also thought the average adult male eats more than 2000, more like 2500. 2000 is supposed to be the recommended average female calorie needs.
It varies a lot depending on how tall you are, etc. too.

I'm not sure you'd need 4000 calories a day to gain weight. Surely if you are able to eat a little over your calorie needs (so if you need 2500, maybe eat 2700) you'll still gain weight, just more slowly. Is there some medical reason you need to gain very quickly?

What problems led to you being underweight in the first place? A lack of appetite and/or malabsorbtion?

You might have seen I've posted a lot about how I struggle to keep weight on. I'm eating around 1500 calories a day now, and my weight is stable but I'm not gaining any. When I have ileostomy surgery soon they're going to try a feeding tube so I don't starve to death while recovering.

To be honest I think there's no way I can eat enough to maintain a healthy weight just through regular eating anymore. I'm already on Ensure plus and Fortisip supplements.

I felt just as awful at a healthy weight as I do underweight. Worse in fact, as being a healthy weight makes my hormone problems worse, and all the extra food required makes my Crohn's symptoms a lot worse. So I think I'm lacking motivation, because I'm not even sure I'll be healthier when I weigh more - I certainly won't feel healthier.

If you've done all the obvious things like supplements and high calorie foods it might be that like me you need medical issues addressed. If there's something causing you problems with appetite or problems absorbing food, it might be that needs to be identified and treated, if possible. I guess you've already considered any obvious cause such as a medication suppressing appetite? Is a feeding tube something you'd consider? I'm not sure if it's going to help me but I'm running out of options.

nogutsnoglory

I think it's more about building up stores in my body than about gaining weight but I definitely need to gain too because I'm close to the dangerously low side.

Littlemiss I am pretty open with what I can eat I just need to avoid fiber and I don't eat red meat. I definitely use full fat organic dairy.

Yeah in that case I stand by what I said above.

As much protein as poss like chicken, fish, eggs etc. These will have good fats as well as the protein. And I guess snack as often as you can. Peanut butter is an excellent suggestion!

Did your doctor give you any guidance on how to do this? It seems a bit of a strange thing to suggest without prescribing a couple of supplement drinks as well, as they would definitely help you on your way.

Liquid calories are very easy to take in. Fruit juices are surprisingly high in calories. Adding olive oil (or any oil) to your meals is an excellent way to increase caloric intake - a tablespoon of oil has over 100 calories :)

Catherine

This is the advice we got from dietian before Sarah's dx.

You need 3 meals and 3 snacks per day. Fruit is not to be as a snack as the number of calories is too low, need to be eaten with a main meal.

Milk drinks add milo or quick for extra calories. Use full fat products.

My son drinks a few organic, high calorie smoothies every day. This is one he just had:

1 lg ripe banana 110
half an avocado 140
2 raw eggs 160
1/2 Cup yogurt 100

vanilla optional

my little penguin

Staff member
Put bread then butter then peanut butter
Myfitnesspal is a good app/ website for tracking
It works well for gaining or losing.

Taco bake
Organic tostito chips
Chopped chicken
Sour cream
Avocados
Shredded cheese
Peeled tomatoes
Layer in casserole dish bake

Lots of calories
Natures one makes organic formula - not sure on the taste
Pediasmart

Good luck

As much protein as poss like chicken, fish, eggs etc. These will have good fats as well as the protein.
Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't find these helpful for gaining. Nor the suggestion for potatoes. Chicken, fish, eggs and potatoes are generally quite low calorie aren't they? It does depend on the type - oily fish having more calories than white fish, chicken more with the skin on, etc. but generally there's too much bulk for too few calories.

He needs protein and doesn't eat red meat. Those are all good sources, although I agree a bit low calorie.

Freakin' hell, pretty clear you don't get PMS, nogutsnoglory! :)

Olives, ice cream (not together!), cheese, pie -- there are lots of delicious pies, both sweet and savoury (e.g. tourtière). Smoothies with bananas, peanut butter, etc., anything with coconut . . . Almond milk, nut butters other than peanut butter . . .