• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Spinach

I've read several places that spinach is good for digestion, but always in ubsubstantiated articles that don't quote sources. Obviously, spinach is a healthy food, and good for anyone who can tolerate the fiber (sometimes I can, sometimes not!), but does anyone out there have any specific information about spinach and digestion/Crohn's?

Here's a quote from one of the articles:

"Everyone talks about the benefits of spinach in nourishing the eyes and building bones. What few know is that it also very good for digestion. Spinach eases constipation and protects the mucus lining of the stomach, so that you stay free of ulcers. It also flushes out toxins from the colon."

it has made my stools more volumunous so i believe there is beneficial fiber in there.

but its frequently tainted with bacteria, id say its a bad crohns food.

nogutsnoglory

I'm not familiar with any studies on spinach and digestion but I can tell you I have an incredibly hard time digesting spinach even when boiled, sautéed, or puréed. I love spinach and its incredibly healthy but unfortunately no form seems to agree with me.