• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Erythema nodosum

hey all!

hope everyone is having a good week.

question about erythema nodosum...

this was one of the symptoms i was having along with joint inflammation before i got on the prednisone.

i got the EN on my lower legs (on my shins) but i'd also get them on the top of my foot near my ankle or directly on my ankle... usually it would be a warning sign to me that my joints were going to have a severe flare up.

anyway, of course the EN would eventually go away, but it seems to have left scars on my skin :frown:

i have brown skin, so it's left behind darker brown spots on my legs... and although there is some improvement (after the skin dried out and peeled off and my using a lot of cream)... they remain there.

i read that EN isnt supposed to leave scars... maybe i need to wait longer and they'll fade?

anyone else notice what appears to be permanent scarring/marks left behind from EN?

Last edited:
i've had erythema nodosum before, and they disappeared without scarring my skin. mine took a long time to vanish completely, even after they bump went down and they stopped hurting, but they did go away!

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
I scratched mine so badly I looked a kid at camp with mosquito bites. Most didn't scar though. A few barely noticable ones. It seemed to take forEVER to go away too, and they were scabbed for a long time. Maybe you just need more time.

i still have spots on my legs from when i broke out in october. like you i also had it on my feet/ankle areas.
im not sure if the spots are scars either, but they havent gone away nor gotten worse.

Hey,

I had EN about a year and a half ago that worked themselves out. My doctor sent me to see a dermatologist about them who prescribed something that helped. Perhaps seeing a dermatologist is a good idea? There might be some kind of treatment for the scars that your GI is not familiar with since it is really more of a skin problem at this point.