Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Just feel like giving an update

02-24-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
Colt

Just feel like giving an update

So now that I'm off my prednisone, been completely blown off my a rheumatologist who wouldn't do any proper testing and mostly ignored the tests he did order I'm not doing so great. I've got rather nasty joint pain, my ankles (don't ask me why he picked my ankles of all places to x-ray, you don't want to know) show inflammation, I have a vitamin D deficiency which I took my first weekly supplement for on friday, I started with mouth ulcers again on the 11th which a brief gap between that one and my current one from the 19th to the 23rd, I'm leaking and farting mucus again, and I'm bleeding pretty bad soaking multiple tissues with the blood and mucus mixed together some of the time.

On the upside my pain isn't too bad. It's turned out that the pain was in large part the IBS. With that under control I'm still having pain but it's tolerable. I'm seeing my first 1 out of 10s for the worst of the day in a long time.

On Friday and Saturday I was doing pretty well joint-pain-wise but I had my vitamin d and my new orthopedic shoe insoles introduced on the same day so I'm not sure how much of it was each one. The pain started easing back in on Sunday. I'll see how it goes on Friday to decide if I'm getting a boost from the vitamin D or and that's helping or not.

My next GI appointment is on March 11th. I'm a little curious to see if my crohn's symptoms springing back to life soon after the prednisone stopped will get my GI's attention or not. I'm extremely pessimistic on the matter though. He'll likely continue to think I'm lying about all of this. I'll just by chance be between mouth ulcers on the 11th too. That seems to be something I can depend on. Any blatantly visible symptom will just happen to not be there during my appointments. Not that I can get anyone to even look at them when they are there as the rheumatologist proved. Hell, I can't even get anyone to run any basic tests after the scopes. Since when do doctors pass up an opportunity to order tests?

Excuse me while I go sit my hypochondriac ass in the bathroom and cry while I clean up the imaginary blood. I need to go for the 6th time today.

Meds: Prednisone, Pentasa, Vitamin D & Calcium, Atenalol, Darvocet

Current Issues: Crohn's inflammation primarily of the upper GI (duodenum and up), Tachycardia, Osteoporosis

Current Stage of Grief: Anger
02-24-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
GoJohnnyGo
One Badass Dude

Hey, I'd pat you on the back if I could, but people might talk if I was in your bathroom.
02-24-2009, 11:53 PM   #3
kello82

Colt said:
Excuse me while I go sit my hypochondriac ass in the bathroom and cry while I clean up the imaginary blood. I need to go for the 6th time today.
*hug*
sorry everythings so shitty right now.
i buy bulk boxes of 3x3 gauze squares and keep one tucked up in my buttcrack all the time. it helps. at least a little. depends on how much your ass wants to leak that day i suppose.
more absorbent than tissue at least, and doesnt get stuck to your butt

good luck at your appt. your in my thoughts Colt.
02-27-2009, 05:27 AM   #4
soupdragon69
ele mental leprechaun

Hey Colt,

They xray your ankles and hands usually for signs of bone erosion etc as they are usually the first places to show it up (so I was informed by Rheums originally).

Glad the pain is easing but DAMN IT they need a fire lit under their own asses! You CANT keep going on like this! *Grrrr Soup stomps around*

I got my Vit D retest results and they are well into normal range now being up around 25 rather than 10 following my IM injection last Nov of it. Still taking daily Vit D and calcium morning and night though.

Like you my pain seemed to ease but found I was registering really sharp shooting pains in my feet and down my arms from my shoulders to hands and when I discussed this at my last Rheums visit they said I had nerve damage from the arthritis and as a result neuropathic pain for which they have prescribed meds for.

Seems to be a multi-layer thing this business just like crohns - sigh..

Colt keep fighting your corner. I havent been around as much as have some things going on myself at the minute but have been reading and posting where I can.

Thinking of you my friend and hoping you get more relief soon.

IF YOU DON'T JUMP YOU WONT EVER LEARN TO FLY

Brittle asthma 1996, Hypothyroidism 1998, Severe Crohns ileitis 2006 , Severe IBS 2007, Inflammatory/Rheumatoid Arthritis 2008, Sebhorreic Eczema and Folliculitis 1992, Roseca, steroid induced acne and Hidradenitis Suppurativa 2008, Multiple allergies and food intolerances diagnosed from 2003. Newly diagnosed fibromyalgia Dec 2009. Newly diagnosed calcific tendonitis Jan 2010. Chronic Pain diagnosed Dec 2010.
02-27-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
Colt

I really do know why he x-rayed my ankles. It's because I'm flatfooted and he decided that ankle pain was my only complaint. He wanted to see if I had a birth defect causing or damage caused by the flat footedness. If he'd have ever listened to me I'm pretty sure the hands would have been the ideal place to look for signs of RA. Regardless my ankles did show inflammation which was completely and utterly ignored and covered up.

Not that bone erosion is needed for an RA diagnosis. The rheumatological association heavily discourages allowing RA to show bone erosion before beginning treatment as the entire point of the treatment is to prevent bone erosion from beginning. Once it starts it's not very controllable.

I have been getting shooting pains up from my feet lately which I thought was kind of odd. It hasn't really been a problem in the past.

I'm thinking when my appointment comes up I won't bother saying anything as I already know that's pointless. I'll just hand them my symptom charting calender. According to it I was bleeding 8 out of the 27 days this month and often quite large quantities.

Last edited by Colt; 02-27-2009 at 08:18 PM.
02-27-2009, 10:49 PM   #6
kello82

do you get the shooting pains from your feet when you move them from being up on a bed, for example, and then put them on the ground? or when you first stand up from sitting does it happen?
02-28-2009, 01:29 AM   #7
soupdragon69
ele mental leprechaun

Colt doesnt matter whether you think your hands were the best place or not to look for RA they SHOULD Xray both them AND feet. Its standard practice.

Glad you know the reason why he Xray'd your feet!! Well done you!

And no I totally agree bone erosion ISNT needed for an RA diagnosis but ALOT of the time its already there as many folk put up with the pain ( for whatever reason) for a considerable time before diagnosis.

Also not everyone is Rheumatoid Factor positive on a blood test. Not everyone will show signs in other tests. From my own perspective my bone erosion only showed up on my feet with an MRI scan and NOT on Xray.

As always with everything its a compilation of tests and examination to obtain an appropriate diagnosis.

Hope you get some results in relation to appropriate treatment at your next consultation.

Keep us posted.
02-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #8
Colt

On the contrary, standard practice here seems to wait until someone has a serious complication and let the ER do the diagnostic work for you. My problem is that I mistakingly thought that prior ER visits, testing, and diagnostic work counted for now as well. Apparently if you change doctors you also need to have that doctor's associated ER diagnose you. They don't trust anyone else's ER to do the diagnostic work for them.

How the hell do you go to a rheumatologist complaining of symmetrical global joint pain and not have an RF and/or ANA done?

Had my GP still been in control of my crohn's treatment his response to the negative scopes would have been: "I've got bad news and great news. It looks like the prednisone is working after all. But, since you're showing this new set of symptoms with the crohn's suppressed we're probably looking at IBS as well."

My GI? "All the scopes were clear so I don't think you really have crohn's. It's got to be IBS. Stop the prednisone and we'll start you on an anti-spasmotic and something to make your bowels less sensitive. You should be fine from here on out. You may not even need the anti-spasmotic so I'll put it down as PRN."

02-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #9
bethyd78

Hi Guys I'm new but not new to this illness My GI doc did a prometheses test which will definitively tell you if you have cd or uc. I know I have cd now so big deal I knew I was sick before. All the times you're told your crazy or addicted to
pain meds or there is absolutely no reason for your abdominal pain. It doesn't take all those memories away. But if you want to know this test will tell you.
02-28-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
Colt

Actually, no. It won't. The prometheus test checks for antibodies. It won't tell you for sure if you have any disease or not. What it does do is if you show up with one antibody and not the others you will have a MUCH higher chance of having either crohn's or UC depending on which antibody it is. The purpose is soley to help differentiate between UC and crohn's.

Besides, you first have to convince the doctor to order such a test. I had a resident who wanted to run a prometheus test and quite a few others on me but of course the attending shot it down and apparently forbade any further tests on me as soon as the resident stepped out of the room to write the orders. The negative scopes were pretty much a final, irreversable death sentence to the diagnostic process.
03-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #11
Colt

Lots of fun lately. I've been having a lot more diarrhea issues, including once today when I had a fascinating bit of explosive watery diarrhea when turned out by smell and the excruciating burning sensation to be mostly bile. I had to put a butt-load of lidocaine cream on it (pun intended) to make the burning stop.

I'm wondering if maybe controlling the constipation-predominant IBS has opened me up to the more standard crohn's diarrhea. Of course I've had numerous boughts of diarrhea but they're usually more mixed and sporadic. It's becoming more and more the predominant problem. You'd think with all of the muscle relaxers and all the other things I'm taking that cause constipation it would still be counter-acted though.

It's also getting harder and harder to eat. The idea is just getting kind of gross. It nauseates me just to think about eating lately. I could stand to lose a few pounds though.
03-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #12
mRae85

wow *hugz* I gotta admit, your story has me in tears

my meds have kept things from getting worse but have yet to put anything into remission and soon I will be due for more testing *sigh* I can't say I understand what you are going thru right now because things haven't got that bad for me, but I will say you are in my thoughts. I hope everything gets better for you as fast as it can. keep holdin in there and keep positive.
03-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #13
Colt

I don't have it as bad as a lot of people on here. As far as my current GI is concerned, I don't have it at all. No ulcers or patches of scar tissue on my last colonoscopy.
03-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #14
Kittee

Ugh sorry to hear you aren't doing so well Colt.

=(

I can sympathize with the "leaking" issue however...it drives me insane.
03-11-2009, 05:54 PM   #15
Colt

I just got back from my GI. I think he's seriously considering crohn's disease at this point. He's all but convinced I think and just waiting to gather solid evidence before giving a final diagnosis. I go back in 6 weeks which is much quicker than the last wait of about 3 months.

On a more crazy note.. I'm headed for a cardiologist tomorrow morning. I've got a murmer, my pulse is completely unstable, and my blood pressure and pulse are really high. The chance of systemic auto-immune disease is scaring the shit out of me right now. Crohn's is potentially life threatening, but something like lupus or behcet's involving heart inflammation IS life threatening.

I'm really happy I'm going in so quickly. I don't want to sit around worrying. The stress would likely give me a heart attack if whatever's going on wouldn't already. The cardiologist's clinic is also right down the hall from our blood draw clinic and we deal with them on a daily basis so it's oddly comforting. I'm on my home turf and I have more confidence that they'll treat me well because I know some of them. I don't know which cardiologist I'm going to see but more likely than not I've drawn their blood for a study. Of course everyone I work with is going to know my business too. Fortunately I'm already lord of TMI.
03-12-2009, 12:08 AM   #16
mRae85

I suffer from alot of joint pain and pain in general. The ulcers are what got me diagnosed tho, I still have the print out the Dr gave me. It was a bitter sweet moment, at least I knew I had something physical because by the time I got diagnosed I seriously thought maybe i was just insain or something. The pain is my worst symptom by far. I can handle scouting for bathrooms but the sharp pain mostly on my right side lower mid area on a daily basis is what drives me completely insain. These past coupple months I've been gettin sharp pains on my left side too, as I have said, the pred is just not working. Dont get me wrong, Im glad I have it tho, I'd hate to know what I'd be like right now if I didn't have anything.

ha! 6 weeks is like 6 months when you are waiting for a diagnoses, I been there too often. I heard the word "crohns" 7 months before actually getting to the "yup, you have it for sure" stage. Sometimes I think Dr's draw it out and all just for sport. I have had a heart murmer since I was born, that in general is nothin to really to worry about. It feels funny tho, I feel my heart "roll over" from time to time.... dont know if you know what Im talkin about there or not lol... it just feels wierd. Wish you the best of luck, sounds to me like you need to start gettin on those Dr's a bit harder tho, sometimes it takes some screaming to get them to listen. I know I had to loose my temper or I'd still be on prozac or somethin *sigh*
03-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #17
Colt

Well, the crazy heart behavior is being blamed on the elavil I take for my IBS. (this was her opinion before my echo. I haven't spoken to her since.) The murmur on the other hand is a hole in my heart between two of the chambers. It's pretty big. I'll have to wait until the cardiologist goes over the echo and find out if she thinks it's worth open heart surgery or not. Kick a guy when he's down, eh?
03-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #18
AIjen

Sorry to hear about all you have been going through lately. It seems a lot for any one person to deal with. And now a hole in your heart? Wow. I would think that a hole in the heart would be congenital and not from an autoimmune disease, but I don't know for sure. I worry about systemic autoimmune disease as well. It has already affected my thyroid, my skin, my heart, my lungs, my connective tissue, and now my intestines. There really isn't much more that can get attacked! Fortunately, the Plaquenil took the inflammation and fluid away from my heart and lungs, so I can be relieved. For now anyway. But then they found the Crohn's. Since 2000, I've lost my gall bladder, my appendix, an ovary, and my uterus. I've had 2 colonoscopies, 2 EGDs and an ERCP. And that was all BEFORE any autoimmune stuff was found. Wait no - 1 colon and 1 egd was after.

I guess all I can say is be patient. I know how difficult that is. Systemic AI stuff is pretty scary. I don't know much about behcet's so I guess maybe that could cause a hole in the heart. I'll have to look that one up again. It was mentioned here once before. I didn't think a hole in the heart could develop in an adult. But again, there's a LOT I don't know!

I wish you much luck in your doctoring. I hope they get on the ball now and stop dragging everything out. THat is the absolute worst - all the waiting. I hope they figure everything out soon and get you back to feeling like yourself. I miss your informative and upbeat posting!!! But I totally understand your frustration and would be (and have been) down and upset in your position as well.
Current Diagnoses: Asthma (Can't remember), Hashimoto's (June 07), Psoriasis (March 08), Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease (Jan. 08), Fibromyalgia (Jan. 08), Crohn's (Dec. 08), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (June 12)

Current Medications: Levothyroxin, Lyrica, Advair, Cimzia, Zyrtec, and Prevacid. Back on Pentassa 12/04/12.
03-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #19
Colt

The heart condition is congenital and completely unrelated to my other conditions. If it were from autoimmune disease the valves would be narrowed from inflammation. It's a PFO, which is not terribly uncommon. Everyone has the hole when they're in the fetus but it's supposed to go away. Mine didn't. My mother has the same problem but her's is small. She still has to take antibiotics when she gets dental work and such.

But, mine's pretty damn big for a PFO. If it's small enough it's harmless, and it is in the vast majority of cases. Usually they're pretty hard to detect and they may only open at all when you cough or otherwise tense suddenly. Mine's so big I could clearly see it before the ultasound tech said a word. Not just that but it's clearly visible from all angles. It gapes open like a 3rd valve as my heart beats. I think the question is pretty much going to be risk of open heart surgery vs. risk of leaving it alone.

I think irony decided to give me a kick in the nuts to punish me for having my GI start to take the crohn's seriously.

Last edited by Colt; 03-12-2009 at 07:02 PM.
03-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #20
mRae85

OMG wow, your heart mumor is waaay different than mine then. I dont think mine has anything to do with a hole in the heart, it just skips beats or as my Dr says makes a gurgling noise but over all is nothing to worry about at all. So sorry to hear all that. Sounds like everytime you go to the Dr you get more bad news.... well i dont think "bad" is the right word to use here. That is awful. I am usually good with words and advise but this time, imma have to get back to ya sometime that's alot to take in. My best friend out in cali tho, she has addisons and she has a pacemaker due to a heart problem that was brought on by her illness. Glad to know that your heart issue is seperate from the Crohns but at the same time that gives you 2 seperate things to try to manage now. You most definatly have to keep us up to date on all of this and where it is taking you. You'll remain in my thoughts that is for sure.
03-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #21
Colt

It looks like we're just going to let it go. I don't think I'm even going to have a follow-up with the cardiologist. There's not a tremendous amount of flow through it to where it would drive my blood oxygen saturation down to harmful levels so it's probably not going to be a problem on its own. It's just going to do things like raise my risk of strokes and complicate other heart conditions that creep up later when I'm old. I'm not looking forward to the possibility of my first stroke at 40 or a heart attack at 35, but that's still a long time from now and it may not even happen. Health probabilities are an odd thing to deal with.

Last edited by Colt; 03-13-2009 at 08:32 PM.
03-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #22
TammySue62

My Support Groups:
kello82 said:
*hug*
sorry everythings so shitty right now.
i buy bulk boxes of 3x3 gauze squares and keep one tucked up in my buttcrack all the time. it helps. at least a little. depends on how much your ass wants to leak that day i suppose.
more absorbent than tissue at least, and doesnt get stuck to your butt

good luck at your appt. your in my thoughts Colt.

I had a good chuckle from your thoughts

HAVE HAD CROHN'S DISEASE FOR 30 YEARS AND STILL GOIN
03-14-2009, 03:49 AM   #23
soupdragon69
ele mental leprechaun

Hey Colt,

I have just been reading through your latest posts.

PFO eh? If its as big as you say you need to see that cardiologist for review and not leave things as they are - you KNOW this and dont need me to tell you this!

Even if the cardiologist feels it doesnt warrant surgery at this time you MUST continue to be monitored! You know it has to be monitored for any changes over the years and you may never need surgery BUT on the other hand you may need it down the line at some point.

Yes they are fairly uncommon but if your pulse rate and BP are high it may not be the stress it could be your body compensating my friend.

I deal with PFO patients where I work on a regular basis so if I can help in any way just shout ok?

You have fought so hard to date in relation to Gastro etc dont lose out on something just as if not moreso important.

Keep us posted on the results.

Thinking of you.
03-14-2009, 08:23 AM   #24
Colt

Yeah, yeah, I know. The odd thing is the doctor who reviewed my echo wasn't my cardiologist. I know that's not terribly unusual, but she told me SHE was going to look at it the next morning. The guy who did look at it made no mention of the PFO in regards to the echo showing the hole directly or the doppler image showing the blood flowing from one side to the other. He just mentioned the bubble test the ultrasound tech ordered when she saw the hole.

Atrial septum: Contrast injection with agitated saline was performed. Very few bubbles noted in the left ventricle late- could represent a small PFO or pulmonary level shunting.
As for the BP she was blaming it on the elavil as it can mess with the adrenal mechanism of heart control. I guess that's still the idea, though I know a PFO can toss your BP/Pulse all over the place trying to get the right chamber pressures.

I guess I could try to get ahold of the images on Monday and maybe ask my cardiologist to take a look herself.

Last edited by Colt; 03-14-2009 at 09:43 AM.
03-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #25
Colt

It was a little bigger than this one when dialated and pretty much right in the center, whereas this one is toward the bottom.

I have to say, too, that our Ultrasound machine is awesome compared to the POS that made this picture. Government hospitals are 1337. If I get a copy of the US pictures I'll make sure to post them.

Last edited by Colt; 03-14-2009 at 01:11 PM.
03-14-2009, 11:02 PM   #26
mRae85

I wont repeat or quote, I will just tell you to please re-read exactly what soup said about keeping up on it and not ignoring it because I agree with that 100%. I am way out of my league here in general seeing as I dont know much about this condition. I know I have a murmor but not sure exactly what that in itself even means in terms of the future or a hole in the heart or any of that because I was always told it was nothing to worry about and alot of people have them. I don't have any medical degree but it damn sure does NOT sound very safe or healthy!!!

Keep us up to date, I don't know much of what you are talking about so this is going to be something I will have to google and learn more about but you are always in my thoughts and I hope to hear something that sounds a bit more positive soon.

Last edited by mRae85; 03-14-2009 at 11:04 PM.
03-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #27
Colt

I've been told that too. Doctors always want to ignore murmurs but it still needs to be checked because it could be something extremely dangerous.

It's like blood pressure. Lots of people have high blood pressure, but I'm sure you can imagine how horrible the death toll would be if BP wasn't checked obsessively in the medical community.

Hell, people are being pushed to have coloscopies when there are no symptoms and no reason whatsoever to beleive that there is anything wrong with their colon. A murmur means there is something wrong with your heart. In this case you know there's a problem, you just don't know how bad it is. If the burden of proof for a coloscopy which is FAR more invasive is the small possibility of having a problem then a case where you know there's something there would far exceed that theshold.

It may not be worth surgery but you still need to know what it is just in case and just so you already know going in to future situations.

As many people as there that die from cardiovascular disease you would think ECGs and Echos would be standard procedure. Hell, an ECG isn't much harder or time consuming than taking someone's blood pressure.
03-15-2009, 10:08 AM   #28
AIjen

I agree with you there Colt. I've been saying for a long time that everyone should have a full-body CT Scan or MRI every year as part of their physical to screen for problems. And, of course, bloodwork. Imagine how many people could get their cancer caught early enough to "cure" it. And other stuff too. I know CT scans and MRIs are expensive, but preventive measures could probably save more money that not doing it by cutting long-term management. Of course I have no proof of that, nor have I researched it. This is just my opinion.
03-15-2009, 11:54 AM   #29
Colt

The reason you won't see that happen is that everyone has at least one thing wrong with them and that means already overcrowded hospitals and doctors would have even more work to do, and insurance companies would never allow it because it would cost them a fortune. The thing is, they're gambling that it's not going to cause any problems, or if it does they'll just fix it then when they have no choice. To the medical community there's no reason to fix a problem until it becomes a problem. If a brain aneurysm is only going to burst 50% of the time, that's half the expense if they wait and see instead of fixing it every time.

It's just like the hole in my heart. It's not causing me any serious trouble so they're going to assume that it won't cause me any serious trouble. As soon as I have a heart attack it'll be a huge deal and they'll want to rush me into surgery because now they know they can't avoid it without just letting me die in the short term. The fact that the surgery has many, many times the mortality rate once it's started causing problems doesn't really matter, because as I said, they're just going to assume it's perfectly benign.

Last edited by Colt; 03-15-2009 at 11:56 AM.
03-15-2009, 04:35 PM   #30
AIjen

Ah yes. Assumption. Yeah, I understand why it won't ever happen. But my opinion is that it will save them money in the long run. Even if the surgery for your heart will cost them the same amount if it's done now or if it's done in an emergency, it will save them the cost of the emergency room/ambulance/helicopter. In the big scheme of things, not all that much, but it's still something. Why wait? Why play Russian Roulette with someone's body? it doesn't seem quite fair. But as you say, there is risk in the operating room as well and I totally understand that too. Funny how trying to take care of one's self is such a difficult thing to do with all of the "what ifs" and maybes. I suppose this kind of thing would qualify for the word "conundrum".

I do hope they get things straightened out with your heart. I'm sure you've been told not to worry about it and forget it's there or something like that. Yeah, right. You try forgetting about a hole in your heart once. My mom told me to forget about the fact that I had Crohn's and not to dwell on it so much. Easy for her to say when she's not the one taking the huge pills 3 times a day and having bathroom issues and nausea, pain, or fevers on an almost daily basis. It's easy to tell someone to forget about it, but it sure isn't easy advice to follow. I do think my mom is starting to "get it" though.

Anyway, I wish you much luck in this new issue. Like you didn't have enough to deal with, right?

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Just feel like giving an update