Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » Healing anal fistula is now bleeding quite a bit?!?!

07-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
myriahdawn

My Support Groups:
Healing anal fistula is now bleeding quite a bit?!?!

I have an anal fistula (seton removed 3 months ago) that has been healing slow, but fairly well. I have had some issues with granulation for a little while, but I am keeping that under control with tea tree oil.

For the past month things were looking VERY promising... I have had little drainage and could hardly even feel it anymore and then about a week ago it started bleeding quite often. Bright red blood that is soaking thru a good amount of gauze and when I go to the restroom I sometimes have blood actually trickle out of the fistula opening. I called my CRS and nurse said this is all normal, but I am still worried.

How can things go from so good to all this bleeding? Is it really ok?
PS - even with the bleeding it is still not hurting. ???

Crohn's: Diagnosed 4/2011 (Ileum & Colon)
Med: Humira
Vitamins: fish oil, vitamin D, B12 & a multi-vitamin
Surgeries: 2012-2013: Ano-rectal fistula repair & repair again & etc.... 7/10/14 - got a plug/flap combo!!!
07-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
Sailorluna
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I have the same and was told it is the granulation tissue. The CR surgeon said it is fragile and bleeds easilly.

Symptoms since 98
Resection and diagnosis June 2010
3 fistulas
abscess drained 6 times (so far...)
currently 2 seton in place 1 since 9/11 the other 4/14
1 strange small air pocket with an 8 cm sinus track leading into the great unknown
methotrexate weekly
folic acid
2 lomotil
2 Welchol
B12 injections (monthly)
Remicade

_____
Goodbye Humira
Goodbye Cimzia
Goodbye Azathiprine
07-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
myriahdawn

My Support Groups:
Do you mean Granulation on the inside of the tract? I got the outer granulation totally under control! I wish I could get the tea tree oil up in there. Ha! I bet that would burn like crazy.

Will the bleeding calm down? Or once it starts are you just stuck with it? It's just so weird to me that I have had none and now so much.
07-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
Sailorluna
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I think it is inside. Some days are worse than others. Mostly its not a whole lot but I never get more than a few days without it bleeding some. If its really irritated sometimes it will bleed just on its own and sometimes there will be some clots. blech
07-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
Essieluv

When I had my seton in, I had the same thing. My CRS said it was just irritated because it was healing, and it would bleed. Just watch it, but I think it is pretty normal.
07-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Sookie's Mom

My Support Groups:
The same thing has been happening to me. I have 3 fistulas with setons since Jan 2013 and they will bleed from time to time even though they are healing.
07-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
jezer101

I'm the same as everyone else. They seem to bleed randomly. I always was under the impression though if they bled it meant it was tissue being damaged making tracs worse?

I haven't been able to have my setons removed and was told it was very unlikely they would be removed soon, and it does produce a lot of gunk, which is not very nice.
08-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
Debbie

I have the same problem also,mine has been draining and bleeding for almost 6 months,it is healing very slowly,my colorectal surgeon said the bleeding was normal so try not to worry,it will eventually stop when the healing is complete.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » Healing anal fistula is now bleeding quite a bit?!?!