• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need a workout for Rehabilitation. - Please help, Please read. Thank you!!!

Long story short, I almost died in November last year from Crohns disease and have been laying in bed ever since trying to heal. Im just getting to the point where I can get up and move around, and I want to find a low-impact workout that will help me re-develop my strength, core, chest, upper body, etc...

There is no way that I can start doing something like p90x, or Insanity beacuse of the cardio, I need strength training without the cardio. So I was wondering if anyone knows a good low-impact video that is kinda like a whole body workout. Im not looking for the cardio aspect of it, Im already loosing a LOT of weight from the crohns, im down 80lbs since November of last year.

I just need something that I can start doing that is low-key, low-impact, but with help with building strength.. Like yoga? or a yoga-ish type of short video that maybe only 30 min long or something?

Any recommendations would help, any type of workout routines, videos, programs or anything to help with my rehabilitation. Please, I could really use a point in the right direction.

Thanks!

You don't need a workout video. If anything I would get a basic barebones yoga video to get your flexibility up. You can also find this type of thing online though, youtube is full of basic yoga movements. Do something that doesn't completely zap your energy and leave you feeling dead - example do 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes in the afternoon.

I would also start walking once or twice a day (again 10 minutes each time - use your best judgment) just to get your stamina levels up.

Get a few pairs of dumbbells. Depending on your strength or size I would recommend a 5 or 10 lbs pair for lighter exercises and also probably a pair of 20 lb ones. You can also get a kettlebell between 10-20 lbs. None of this equipment is expensive if you look around for deals online. Note: Shipping can be costly because of the weight of the package for this stuff, so a lot of times buying in a store is a better idea. Shop around. Craigslist has tons of listings - buy used and just sanitize it when you get it.

I would stick to basic exercises and do only a few sets with low reps (stay under 10 reps in my opinion). For example 3 sets of 5 reps each for a heavier more taxing movement (a squat), and 3 sets of 10 reps for a lighter movement (a bicep curl). Keep your workout short under 20 minutes for sure at first. Give yourself a days rest between strength training. Start VERY LIGHT and progress slowly at first to conserve your energy.

The best things to do in my opinion are:
Squat
Deadlift
Lunges
Bench press OR chest press while lying on the floor
Standing overhead press
Push ups

Also things like calf raises, curls, and bent over rows can be added. If you are strong enough to do chin ups or pull ups those are terrific as well.

Almost all of these movements can be done with just your bodyweight, dumbbells, or a kettlebell. It's completely up to you. You can find videos on youtube demonstrating every movement I mentioned. Use your best judgment on form.

I hope this was helpful, I tried to cover everything. Everything I mentioned is deliberately NOT going to burn many calories at all. What you need right now is small amounts of very efficient exercise. Feel free to ask more questions. I can give you a workout program as detailed as you want if you can tell me a bit more about your situation via pm or here.

And you HAVE TO EAT to get more energy and improve your physical condition.

Im right there with you, I really want to try and start doing the rippetoe / starting strength routine. and set up my own little home gym and focus on the compound lifts (deads, squats, bench, and millitary press) - But I think that even this routine would be too much to start. Thats again why im trying to find a short (15-30min strength / yoga) video that uses only your body.. Like a "less insane" insanity video. lol

Even if I were to look up yogo movements, I wouldnt really know which ones I should be doing, like which are more for flexibility, or which are for strength, and wouldnt know what order to put them in..

Are there any yoga people out there that can like post up links to different movements and kinda create a little routine for me, if there is no single video I could look into.

I mean I have some little cheap yoga set I got from my mom..but it just seems so girly, I havnt even watched it yet. but is there a difference between strength yoga, and stretching / flexibility / Meditation yoga?

Hi,
A while back David posted a yoga group if you use the search bar at the top and just put in yoga David it brings it up as the first one. It's got lots of info and some downloads as well that might get you started.

kiny

You could do a bit of swimming if that's your thing, it's really good for rehabilitation, also yoga and stretching isn't too bad. I had someone from the hospital help me stretch years ago after I was in bed for days, couldn't even walk anymore, I completely recovered with stretching and a bit of light walking.

I really like Rodney Yee's Power Yoga DVDs. (especially Power Yoga for Strength and Power Yoga Total Body).

They can be a pretty good workout, but they're low impact and not overly taxing. They're good for putting your body through it's whole range of motion and keeping you active even when you don't want to leave your house.

rygon

I would try brisk walks, swimming and jogging to help increase your strenght and bulk up.
I know you said you dont need cardio, but I feel its the most important building blocks to strength training, without it you will find it much harder to put on muscle imo as it helps build up your core muscles and stops fatigue setting in so easily.

Also try http://bodybuilding.com for some routines. I use this website a lot for finding new workouts

I would try brisk walks, swimming and jogging to help increase your strenght and bulk up.
I know you said you dont need cardio, but I feel its the most important building blocks to strength training, without it you will find it much harder to put on muscle imo as it helps build up your core muscles and stops fatigue setting in so easily.

Also try http://bodybuilding.com for some routines. I use this website a lot for finding new workouts
How is jogging and swimming going to increase his strength? Jogging is probably the single worst thing he can do right now.

Side note: Bodybuilding.com forums is home to the most atrocious workout programs and methodologies you could find on the internet.

@Kel - I am going to go buy some dumbbells and a Kettelbell along with one of them big blow up workout balls to use a a bench to help work on core strength & balance. Could you post up a few links to some standard Kettlebell movements that you would recommend? I have no clue how to use of of them things :p

@Kiny - Thanks, I plan on throwing in swimming twice a week a once it warms up a bit here in south county.

@ Copeland - Thank you VERY much for the recommendation for the power yoga videos. Thats what im looking for exactly. I plan on doing Weight lifting as Kel mentioned Mon/Wed/Fri. And then Swimming and Yoga on Tue/Thurs... Sunday will either be a relax day or pure stretching + Epson salt baths / Jacuzzi

@Rygon - I get what your saying about needing cardio to help build stamina, But I agree with Kel, cardio burns extra calories, and I NEED all the calories I can keep at the moment for energy. But once I hit remission (Which iv never been in) And can start to really pack on the lbs.. then I will introduce more cardio into the routine.

PS. I am on BB.com and they always recommend the same routines for "Beginners" which is Rippetoe,or Starting strength routines that focus on compound lifts as heavy as possible (Squats, Bench, Millitary Presses, Deadlifts, and sometimes, Cleans)

Even a starting strength routine is too much for me right now, but that is what I am going to build up to and and start dong eventually. I was doing these exact workouts right before I got sick.. I actually thought that the blood in my stool was from going too heavy on squats, and that's why I didnt go to the doctors for over 4 months. Until it turned into full toilet bowls of blood.

I don't use kettle bells and it's not really a necessity. Some people like the more than dumbbells for whatever reason. You can do KB squats and deadlifts, and one armed pressing movements. However these can all be done with DB's as well. I will say KB swings are pretty good but I can't say it's worth getting one just for that.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zBIWpPfc6NY&desktop_uri=/watch?v=zBIWpPfc6NY

Note that his back stays fairly arched even at the bottom part of the motion. This is probably the most important aspect. Remember you are throwing the weight the weight is not throwing you around. If it is you picked too heavy of a weight.

This should go without saying but...take care not to hit your balls.