• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to crohns, YAY!!!

hi,
im new to crohns/UC. the docs wont pin it down. i went to the hospital in march of 2013. i had to stay 4 days to get situated. as im learning about this disease, i find that there is no hard and fast rules. so far, the only thing that has worked for me is prednisone and it causes other problems. my GI wants me to go on a drug that my insurance wont cover, and wont give me a variance and its just too expensive to afford myself.
ive had addiction problems in the past and ive cleaned up, started my own business and im doing super good.. then this comes along. its pretty annoying. it feels like i need to go through 2/3 weeks of prednisone to get a week of strength. ive put my general manager in charge of my business so that i can lower my stress level, as ive had all of my doctors state that stress causes more problems with IBD... anyway. i just wanted to introduce myself and become a part of this community.
currently on
asacol 800 HD 2pills x3 a day.
acid reducer... cant spell it.
probiotic
calcium
prednisone 30mg, this week, 20mg next week, then 10 the week after that.
mens one a day...
all i want to do is go out and ride my dirt bike, but alas thats not to be.. eating has become the enemy so its hard to eat enough to keep my energy up. uggggg... im trying to keep positive but its hard sometimes.
thanks all

Welcome to the forum! The prednisone carousel is awful, so sorry you are having trouble finding a med to help.

In relation to the med that your insurance won't cover most of the pharmcos have a program to help with the cost of a med. For instance, with Remicade(biologic drug) there is Remistart, it is not based on your finances and will cover all or some of the med. So you may want to look around and see if the med your GI has prescribed has one of these programs.

Good luck I hope you find a med that works and some relief soon!

Welcome Junkboy64 to the forum~
Clash is right about the drugs... see if it is one that has a help program. I was on Enbrel for a while when I had no insurance and contacted them and they paid all but $25.00 of it. Without the help it was 1600/mo.. so worth a try. The Enbrel was for my arthritis. I am now on Remicade, Methotrexate, Sufsalazine and Entocort for Crohns and Psoriatic Arthritis.... Fun fun.. Just getting over a horrific flare.
I wish you the best and pray they find a good med to help you control your IBD.. Hugs

Noonie

thanks for the advise. ill definitely look into it. i know the card my doctor sent along dropped it down from 1800$ to 1300$ a month.. but there is no way i can pay 1300$ a month. ill check their website and see what they offer. maybe they have something better than what the doctors office has available. thanks again.
i hope i can get this under control. i feel so adrift.