Share Facebook

07-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
prettykitty

My Support Groups:
Team Challenge?

Has anyone on the forum participated in a Team Challenge running event? I am seriously considering participating in an event next year, and I would like to get honest opinions from people who have participated.

Thanks!
Laura
07-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
Jennifer
Adminstrator

I'm not 100% sure but I think maybe CrohnsChicago has or something like it. So I'm tagging her to see if she has any insight. I never have though. Sorry for the late reply prettykitty.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
07-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I'm sure a few people on the forum must have participated at some point. I'm tagging Alliruns because I think she may have participated but if not she runs marathons and could probably give you a few good tips anyway.
07-18-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I was considering training for the Team Challenge earlier this year but right before training began I started a flare. So I will maybe try again for the Challenge next year.

I remember speaking to diesanduhr about Team Challenge. I know she has completed it a few times.

However with Team Challenge, you have to raise a certain amount of money. The amount depends on the location you want to run (Las Vegas, Napa, Hawaii, Chicago, etc....) and easily fall into the thousand(s) range since the money you pay also covers your trip expenses. But if you can't raise the money, either some or all of it, you have to pay the remaining amount out of pocket. (Think of it this way...the closer you choose to do the run to home...the smaller the quota is that you have to fill for donations). So be prepared to throw out a good amount of money if you can't meet the donation quota.

With regards to the physical aspect of the Team Challenge, earlier this year when I was thinking of signing up, I spoke to CCFA reps, and they told me that most people who run are in remission or are in a phsyical state where it is ok to run or do a combo of run/walk.

Good luck to you!

Another option if you are looking to get involved and get fit....

Just last month I participated in the CCFA Take Steps walk....The Take Steps Walk was a good alternative because it was a 3 mile walk only instead. The Challenge requires you to train a lot before while the Take Steps walk you can pretty much go into it untrained so long as you are not a physically idle person 24/7.

Both events ask that you raise money. But with the Take Steps Walk, it is OK if you don't raise any money at all....you can still walk.
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

07-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
prettykitty

My Support Groups:
Thanks everyone for your responses.

I already do half marathons, so I'm not concerned about the physical aspect of it; and I am familiar with how the program works. I think I'm more interested in whether people who have participated have found it to be a rewarding experience, would they do it again, did they have trouble raising money, etc... the participants they choose to speak at informational meetings are always super-positive about it, but I don't know to what extent they represent the average participant.

Probably my biggest personal obstacle to participation, is that I don't feel right asking people to donate money so that I can go to a fun destination race. I know most of the money goes to CCFA, but a decent portion goes to participants' travel and training. A good friend of mine used to do triathlons with Team in Training (a similar program, different organization) and she did it so frequently that it got to the point where it felt more like I was donating money to send her to the next race, instead of donating to the charity -- and I want to avoid feeling like I am putting my friends and family in the same position. Have other participants had the same feelings, and how have you dealt with it?
07-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #6
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Canada doesn't have a team challenge equivalent, so I haven't participated. If you're worried about asking friends to fun your travel, Pay your registration/travel expenses yourself and then any money you raise goes to the charity.
07-20-2013, 06:12 AM   #7
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Canada doesn't have a team challenge equivalent, so I haven't participated. If you're worried about asking friends to fun your travel, Pay your registration/travel expenses yourself and then any money you raise goes to the charity.