• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

First flare in years... can you share your experience?

This is me in a nutshell... I am 29 years old, have had severe crohns since I was 5. My childhood is foggy, as I was sick through most of it. I have an ileostomy. I am happily married and teach special education :) I dabble in the SCD diet and love yoga! My life is pretty great considering the degree of my disease.

What is going on right now...

I just developed a peristomal fistula. Does anyone else have one? How do you keep stool from leaking all over?

I recently switched from Humira (7 years) to Cimzia. I am not sure if it's working? What are your thoughts on Cimzia?

I want/need to gain weight. Any tricks out there?

I'm trying to get caught up on the buzz in the Crohns community... After a 7-ish year remission, through my 20's... I feel a little disconnected with this flare and I am trying to navigate through diets and meds... I'd love to hear what others successes are :)

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi Mzlynne, welcome to the forum. I was in remission for about 2 years but recently started flaring myself, so I can relate. I love yoga as well, and also weight lifting. I feel like, for me anyway, keeping myself in remission requires a multitude of things to work together in harmony. Exercise, diet, medication, vitamins/supplements, stress management, getting enough sleep, etc. - all that seems to play a part, and it's a really tough balancing act at times.

Did you fall out of remission before or after switching to Cimzia? I recently switched from Asacol to Delzicol, made the switch just a couple months before I fell out of remission, and I suspect that med switch may have played a part in my current flare.

As far as gaining weight, there are a lot of threads in the Diet & Fitness section of the forum here. Generally speaking, a lot of people like things like olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, nut butters (almond butter or organic/natural peanut butter), etc to gain weight. All of those things are very high in calories but also generally fairly healthy and shouldn't cause you too much digestive trouble.