• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Are These Mezavant Side Effects?

I have spent the most awful night ever. I was prescribed Mezavant xl 1200mg 2 Tablets a day.

Day 5 of taking these pills I have spent the entire night awake with stomach cramps. I kept going to the loo and passing small ammounts of faeces. (not diarrhoea) and am still in a bit of pain as I type this.

Has anyone else experienced these symptoms before?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Tracey1788. What symptoms were you having before you started the Mezavant? How are you doing now? Stomach cramps and mild diarrhea are listed as a possible side effects. http://chealth.canoe.ca/drug_info_d...0&brand_name_id=4814&page_no=2#AdverseEffects

I used to take Asacol (pretty much the same thing, mesalamine) and never had any side effects from it but some people on the forum have so hopefully they will be able to chime in and help. Hopefully your symptoms from it were temporary and you're feeling better now.

What you are taking has a form of asprin in it. If you have trouble with asprin this could be your problem with this med. I take something similar to what you are taking and I can not take high doses of it.

Thank you for your replies. Since I wrote this post I went back to my GP and was advised to stop these pills. It took 72hours for the pain to eventually subside. I took Buscopan and Dehydrocodeine for pain relief as advised.

It was most definitely a side-effect of this pill and am disappointed because I thought this would be the miracle cure I was hoping for. I have T.I inflammation and an awaiting my MRE (small bowel mri) on 05/08/13 and EUS/FNA 31/07/13 to evaluate a cystic lesion on my Pancreas, MY GI says I have Crohns.

The pain I experienced was if I was in Labour and although I have RLQ pain it has never been that bad.

I have had 2 painfree days since withdrawing from those pills but saying that my sharp stabbing pain is returning, so back to square 1 again.

I've taken Mesavant XL (2.2g daily , 4.4g if symptoms worsen) for over a year with little side effects. Apart from some pins and needles in hands and feed, although I think this could be to do with b12 deficiency.