• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crushing Crohns

Diagnosed at 17 after my appendix was removed by a Stanford gastro, I learned the nature of my torment: severe abdominal pain, no appetite, and slowness to gain any weight or stature was due to Crohn's.

Now at 34, an intestinal resection later that almost killed me, infinite bouts of shitty diarrhea, weight loss, ripping stomach pain, embarrassing social situations, and an overall lack of confidence because of this hamstringing disorder, I am proud to say I am stronger than ever and am living proof that Crohn's is no excuse to wither away into shadowy self defeating depression and sickness....

At 23 years old I was 110lbs before my resection, I now stand a solid mass of 165lbs at 5'5. Through hard work, discipline, determination, medical treatment, and resiliency I am crushing crohn's. Although I still have bouts of diarrhea, I won't let that stop me from my pursuit of happiness.

Witness the six inch scar in the middle of my stomach as proof

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98364184@N07/

Last edited:
Just wanted to say I really like this post. More people need to have an attitude like this. Crohns is not a death sentence, it's not a curse, and your life isn't going to be fubar forever.

^^^ I appreciate the acknowledgement, and definitely want to promote an aggressive attitude of conquest towards Crohn's which can be fueled by working out!!!!

I've had my moment's of self pity, and even now catch myself wondering how strong I could be in the gym (and in life lol) without this disease and proper digestion. But I refuse to let it prevent me from reaching my strength goals, and am extremely proud of the physique I have obtained in spite Crohn's!