• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Thiazolylaminomannosides As Potent Antiadhesives of Type 1 Piliated Escherichia coli Isolated from Crohn's Disease Patients.

The more and more I am reading it seems that perhaps AIEC is a causative of some cases of crohns, where as perhaps MAP is responsible for other cases, or some other infectious agent.

kiny

They know it's there, they can find it in tissue a lot lately, they know it's causing inflammation by invading immune cells, they know it becomes resistant very fast to antibiotics, they have the genome sequence of LF82, they even have an AIEC mouse model now that mimics crohn's disease, what no one wants to say yet is if that's it...crohn's disease is just infection by AIEC in some people, it's taking advantage of autophagy defects in a susceptible host and it's that simple...just an infection. But it's possible that it is that simple. Getting rid of it will be a lot harder though.

Here is a pic that shows how it attaches to an ileal cell. LF82 is the most studied AIEC type, since it was recovered from a crohn's disease patient and then rediscovered in many other people, but there's a number of different AIEC types.

kiny

The first one was found in an ileal lesion. They did a bigger study with 60 or so patients later on, almost all were from the ileum but they recovered some from the colon too.

Antibiotics that could kill AIEC like cipro are actually most effective in ileal disease, it works in colon disease too, but far less good. And the bacteria will become resistant anyway.

AIEC also invades through peyer's patches, which are in the terminal ileum.

kiny

Haven't followed it, I couldn't find any info about it at first. Maybe it changed now? I will try to read about it.

Trysha

Staff member
Adaptive Immunity www.sinobiological.com

The adaptive immune or specific immune response consists of antibody responses and cell-mediated responses, which are carried out by different lymphocyte cells, B cells and T cells, respectively. B Cells are the major cells involved in the creation of antibodies that circulate in blood plasma and lymph, where they bind specifically to the foreign antigens. Cell-mediated immunity does not involve antibodies but rather involves the activation of macrophages, natural killer cells (NK), antigen-specific cytotoxic T-lymphocytes, and the release of various cytokines in response to an antigen. A key feature of the adaptive immune system is memory, the development of immunological memory, in which each pathogen is “remembered” by a signature antibody.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SSI
Dr Hal Gunn has devised a vaccine of a common enteric organism from what I have read.
His system is based on SSI--Site Specific Immunomodulation of the Innate Immune System.
This stimulates the body's own immune system in a natural way.
It looks rather promising., and it will be most interesting to see the results of the clinical trial now in progress in Vancouver Canada.
There is a link to his system on the Experts---Crohn's Forum

Life is getting rather exciting in these fields of endeavour.

Well, for me at least; SSI Vaccine did NOTHING for me,so I guess I don´t have a problem with E.Coli. At least I´ve been tested for MAP and I´m severely infected, so that´s what´s being targeted.

Well, for me at least; SSI Vaccine did NOTHING for me,so I guess I don´t have a problem with E.Coli. At least I´ve been tested for MAP and I´m severely infected, so that´s what´s being targeted.
Do they have the anti map trials where you are located? This drug is currently in phase 3 in the u.s and will likely be out in 2-3 years.