• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira working but now constipated?

Hello,
I am happy to report that the Humira seems to be working really well....within a few days the general ache I always walk around with was gone and things were going well...but, now I seem to be struggling with constipation. Not good for me...this is accompanied with horrible embarrassing gas that is hurting people around me! I even took some gentle laxatives in am effort to save my family and it didn't help much at all! Any one else go through this? Ideas?

nogutsnoglory

I'm happy to hear you are feeling better. Constipation is a listed side effect of Humira. Try drinking lots of fluids and prune juice.

I agree with Noguts about the hydration. I would add that you should get a dog on which you can blame the noxious gas. That works in my house.

Did you hear about the constipated mathematician?

He worked it out with a pencil.

Thank you, thank you. Try the veal. Please tip your server.

my little penguin

Staff member
DS uses lots of pears , v8 fusion juice and lots of miralax .
But he was constipated before humira but not on remicade .

Good luck keeping thing moving.

I just started Humira a week ago and am having the same problems! I am feeling a lot better overall... but, and I've never thought I'd say this, I would really like to have a BM soon!
The gas is an issue as well... luckily I have my own office at work or this would get really embarrassing!

I've been mixing some generic Miralax in my morning smoothie and drinking twice the water I normally do, and still there's been very little happening. I'm not blocked up, as there has been some progress, but nothing really substantial.

Glad to know I'm not the only one..!

I have the same problem and I asked my GI about it the other day and he told me that it is ok to take Muralax once a day. He also told me that I am prone to getting strictures and it is possible that I have narrower parts of my intestines, so I do the Muralax once a day and the constipation is gone!