Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » Pentasa side effects

07-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
ktj2013

Pentasa side effects

I am a new member, and have just been diagnosed with Crohns. My consultant has prescribed me with Pentasa. I started taking these about 2 weeks ago. I have to take 4 x 500mg tablets twice a day. Once in a morning, and the last batch at night.

Since starting on these tablets a couple of nasty things have occurred since last Thursday(18th Jul)

diarrhea- although a couple of days ago i took an Imodium and that seems to have regulated things.

Stiff / painful neck causing thumping headache

I went to my doctors, could only see a nurse, and she confirmed that my glands appeared to be swollen in my neck. I am taking paracetamol, which doesn't really take the pain away. Ibuprofen works better but I've read this could interact with Pentasa.

I am trying to speak to my consultant, but he hasn't called me back yet.

Has anyone else suffered from these side effects?

Apologies if this is a duplicate thread.
07-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
Axelfl3333

I,ve been on pentasa for ages it doesn't,t really do much for me it doesn't,t stop the the trots it's to reduce inflammation which eventually helps I have to take loperamide(Imodium)as well as other odds and sods,saying that that I feel that the trots are a bit better but I,ve learned foods which set me off and avoid
07-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
Axelfl3333

P.s stay away from neurogen
07-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
Ouchithurts

I am a new member, and have just been diagnosed with Crohns. My consultant has prescribed me with Pentasa. I started taking these about 2 weeks ago. I have to take 4 x 500mg tablets twice a day. Once in a morning, and the last batch at night.

Since starting on these tablets a couple of nasty things have occurred since last Thursday(18th Jul)

diarrhea- although a couple of days ago i took an Imodium and that seems to have regulated things.

Stiff / painful neck causing thumping headache

I went to my doctors, could only see a nurse, and she confirmed that my glands appeared to be swollen in my neck. I am taking paracetamol, which doesn't really take the pain away. Ibuprofen works better but I've read this could interact with Pentasa.

I am trying to speak to my consultant, but he hasn't called me back yet.

Has anyone else suffered from these side effects?

Apologies if this is a duplicate thread.
Hi, take the same dosage as you in the beginning gave me severe headaches and swollen glands in the neck, they go away eventually. Hang in there
07-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Axelfl3333

P.p.s that was meant to be neurofen,spell checker

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » Pentasa side effects