• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Rectal Pain

Just diagnosed with peri rectal abscess. Doctor did a small cut. Helped a bit with the pain, the day it was cut but the pain is back and I can still feel the lump. I was given antibiotics (Septra) for 7 days, stool softener and pain reliever. My question is, is it normal to still have the lump? The cut is over the lump and I can see a little drop of drainage going on. I have no pain on my rectum but the lump is giving me the pain. I am so worried. I was told to do sitz bath for 3 to 4 times a day, how many days should I do the sitz bath? Is there going to be a problem if I do more than 4 sitz bath a day? Any suggestions to speed up the disappearance of the lump?

nogutsnoglory

You can do as many sitz baths as you like. Your doctor must have lanced your abscess but if you aren't draining properly and coupled with the antibiotics and pain it may not be effective. I would call your GI and ask what the next step should be.

Trysha

Staff member
I agree with the above reply.
If the abscess fails to drain properly no amount of antibiotic will resolve it.
Call your doctor for further action
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha.

Is there anything I should do to induce drainage? I have been doing sitz bath like 5 to 6 times a day already and giving it hot compress. The pain in the lump is subsiding and it has gotten smaller and the area not as swollen. Is there anything I can do to keep the cut open? My follow up appointment is in a weeks time so for the time being, getting crazily worried that the cut will close and still has not drained completely.

nogutsnoglory

Besides sitz baths I can't think of anything you can do. It depends on whether they did a good job and if your body cooperates.

It sounds like you are doing everything right so far. Just keep up with the antibiotics, hot compresses, and sitz baths. If you get a fever or chills, call your doctor ASAP because that can be a sign that the abscess is still being a problem and that it needs to be taken care of quickly so it doesn't progress into anything else. I don't know if this is scientifically true or not, but when I walk around a bit (very light, nothing strenuous. Maybe just a walk around the room a couple times a day if that's all I can manage) my abscess drains a bit more. And I keep some gauze next to it, or wear a panty liner, just to catch all the drainage so I don't get a rash. If you do get a rash though, put some A and D cream or Calmoseptine on it. Good luck, and I hope it clears up for you soon. Abscess are evil little devils!

Thanks, I have been trying to move around a little to induce a bit of drainage. It hurts to just even move, I can not even sit and it hurts when I cough. I went to see my doctor and I was put in another kind of antibiotics in addition to an antibiotic shot. If it does not drain completely, is there a chance it will heal because of the antibiotics? Its been almost 2 weeks since it was lanced, the lump is not as hard and not as big but it is still there and it still hurts especially right after bowel movement. The sitz bath and hot compress helps a bit, but only for a little while.
Does any one had a lump that eventually went away without being lanced again?

I am going through a similar problem right now. Had an abscess that burst on it's own and then went to the doctor to have it lanced. It healed within a couple days. On followup, the doctor said to "massage" the area to help to stimulate draining (plus regular sitz baths). A week later, it burst again during a sitz bath. Since then, the size has gone down, but it's been draining for over 2 weeks, some days heavier than others. No idea if this is normal or not.
So I don't really know the answer to your question other than I feel your pain. Doctor said they won't know if it's a fistula or not until 4-6 weeks. I can hardly wait!

Went to the doctor today, looks like a have a fistula and the fistula is causing the abscess. I was so bummed. I was hoping that my abscess will not turn into a fistula, when all the while I might have a fistula. It is not definitive yet, but it looks like it from the result of the culture. I am scheduled to see a surgeon to see what needs to be done. It is over 2 weeks already and I can still feel a lump, it is getting softer and smaller but is still a lump and it hurts after bowel movement. It takes about an hour or 2 before the pain after BM subsides. I still cannot sit straight and can not walk straight after BM. It is not only the pain that I have to deal with but can't stop worrying about what is going to happen next. Thanks for the forum for letting me vent.....

I am still in pain. It is still draining but there is still a lump that does not want to go away. I was put on Flagyll today plus another antibiotic. Is the antibiotic supposed to treat this? The pain feels like I was back on day one when it was lanced. Can I squeeze or press it so it drains more? Any word of advice is appreciated.....