Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » What do you do with used Humira pens?

07-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
lgpcarter

My Support Groups:
What do you do with used Humira pens?

Sort of a stupid question, but how do you dispose of used Humira pens? Pharmacy didn't have sharps container, public health wanted to charge $15 for one. Was thinking of taking used ones to dispose of at hospital, but keep forgetting and now have quite a collection!

Seton placement (2) and fistulotomy December 2013. Setons removed July 2014.

Laparoscopic Right Hemicolectomy July 2016, 25 cms removed

Current meds: Entyvio every 8 weeks, Imuran 50 mg, Flagyl and Cipro 500 mg twice a day
Previously: Remicade, Humira, Simponi, Pentasa, Sulphasalazine, Entocort, Stelara, Methotrexate, Prednisone
07-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
Jennifer
Adminstrator

I used a sharps container that I got at the pharmacy. Is there another pharmacy you can go to? They all have sharps containers and it doesn't have to be the pharmacy where you pick up your prescriptions (at least not in the USA). All I do is ask for a new one and they hand it over and I walk out. When its full you drop it off at any of the pharmacies.

Edit: You can ask for more than one at a time as well.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
07-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
lgpcarter

My Support Groups:
Thanks! Might have just been a crappy pharmacy/pharmacist, then. Will try that tomorrow.
07-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Hope you can get one. I did a google search to see if there was some weird law about them in Canada and found a thread on another forum where people were admitting to putting their needles into plastic bottles and throwing them in the trash or recycling bin. That's just flat out dangerous and irresponsible.

Is your Humira delivered to you or do you pick it up at the pharmacy? Mine was delivered to me and with the Humira came alcohol wipes and a sharps container. If yours is delivered perhaps you could call the company that delivers them and request a sharps container (if its free but I don't see why it wouldn't be).
07-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
You should be able to get a sharps container by calling your speciality pharmacy. I have instructions to dispose of them by mail but I just bring them to my GI and they deal with the used syringes and pens I have used in the past.
07-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
Careyearl

My Support Groups:
Hi lpgcarter:

I go to Safeway ad they give me the sharpies container. As well contact humira as they will send you the container. I was using Costco as a pharmacy but they don't give me the same service as Safeway. Sometimes paying a bit more gives you a bit more service.
07-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
PsychoJane

My Support Groups:
Here in Quebec, most pharmacist will give away the "normal" (yellow and translucide) bio-hazard container but will charge for the one you need for chemo. So It was 20$ for methotrexate (red, opaque with seal) container but free for other type of needle. If I wanted to get a free chemo one, they were given for free in local health center. I don't know if there is such service in your province but if that rings a bell to you, it may worth a try. I assume that any organisation that helps people with drug addiction would probably have some to deliver for free as well or at the least you could probably drop your pen out there.

Currently taking: Omega-3, D-3, med-free for the time being.
~~Oh! n sorry if what I write seems strange at times, English is not my main language!~~

You'd like to chat and feel facebook would ease this point,
send me a private message and i'll do so =)
07-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
lgpcarter

My Support Groups:
Thanks everyone! Jennifer - I totally agree that throwing them in the regular garbage is totally unacceptable.

I do pick up the pens at a pharmacy (Pharma Plus) so will try there again, and if not, will try another other. Worst case, I spend the $15 and get one from the health unit.

Laura
07-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
Essieluv

When I was on Humira, I called the Humira hotline (not sure of the number right now, sorry) and asked about Sharps containers. They actually sent me one for free, and whenever it got full they would send me a box with a new one and postage supplies to mail back the full one.
08-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
MikeinBklyn
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Here in NYC you can drop the pens off in a sharps container or another container at any city run hospital, they have a drop off in their lobbies.
08-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #11
Mountaingem
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I put them in an empty bleach container and then returned them to my local hospital's oncology ward.

I WILL STAY STRONG
I WILL FIGHT
I WILL WIN

Current Meds: Cimzia, Methotrexate, Prevacid, Sertraline, Nortryptaline, Prednisone, Atenelol

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » What do you do with used Humira pens?