• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Post Op Pain Relief Options?

annawato

Staff member
I am reposting this for Ang71 who had the following query. If anyone can help with thoughts and suggestions it would be appreciated

"Been diagnosed with crohn's for 13 years. Going in wed 31st July for my 3rd bowel resection, had my last one 5 years ago!
Can anyone tell me what is the best pain relief out of epidural, morphine pump, tap block? I've had the morphine pump last two ops but would like to try something different and better!"

I had an emergency resection last year due to a perforated bowel.
I seem to remember that I had an injection in the base of my spine (I assume it was an epidural) before the operation and afterwards I had a pump for a few days. I was full of infection due to the bowel perf and also I had a huge abscess so the doctors seemed to think that I needed strong pain relief. I was in hospital for 10 days and from about day 5/6 I was only then on tramedol and then paracetamol.
Hope this helps & good luck for your surgery.

valleysangel92

Staff member
I had a laperoscopic hemicolectomy and at first I had a PCA morphine pump. It was ok but only if i remembered to keep pressing it every 5-10 mins, it seemed to wear off very quickly and made me drowsy and i had a lot of nausea. When they took me off the PCA they gave me tramadol and paracetamol and i actually found this much better. Ive also had IV tramadol in the past and comparing the too I'd say the tramadol was better than the PCA, it lasted longer and I didnt have to constantly re-dose meaning I could sleep without pain waking me.
Good luck with the surgery, I hope it all goes well :).

I had Ileocaecal resction .. had morphine pump for first night and day. Was allergic to tramadol.. didn't like feeling druggy on oral or injected morphine so ended up mainly on iv paracetemol which was manageable!

Btw they actually tried to give me Ibuprofen i was like REALLLYYYY!!!?!

annawato

Staff member
Its incredible what they try to put you on. I was put on an nsaid without realising last time i was in hospital. It was only when I went to get a refill from my GP and she nearly died that it had been subscribed for me!

afidz

Super Moderator
While I was in the hospital for my last surgery I was given high doses of an anti-inflammatory drug (not sure which) through my IV. Out of all the surgeries I have had, this was by far the least painful(it was also the biggest). I barely used my morphine pump and they ended up discontinuing it the second day because I wasn't using it. As a result of not using the pain meds frequently I was able to go home sooner and I didn't have withdrawal symptoms when I went home

I got a Dilaudid pump. It works longer then Morphine for me and last time I was on Morphine I threw up and got kind of red in my arm when other times that never happened. I also like to take an anti nausea iv thing just in case. It sort of worked at first but then I got reaaally itchy from it...so I wanted to get off of it. They also gave me IV paracetemol and I dunno if that worked or not. It seems morphine works better for me but I dunno why I got red in the arm that one time..ughh.

Thank everyone for your reply's..
my op got cancelled after me waiting 6hrs so they have rebooked me for wed 7th August. I'm think I'm going to go with the epidural this time round but who knows I still may end up changing my mind when it comes to deciding before I go in..

Hi guys had my op yesterday all went well. I had the tap block instead of the epidural and I must say I had no pain upon waking and slept all night they only gave me the 16 hrs dose instead of the three day one, also got the morphine pump if i needed it but i didn't need it until the tap block wore off and today they started me on OxyContin.. I would defiantly recommend the tap block I loved it!