• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Lumbar colostomy

PsychoJane

So, I appear to be reading an atlas of ostomy (this is what procrastination can do when you have to hand paper on totally unrelated subject... xD) and, well, I just saw there are some colostomy that can be done oriented in the back.

It seems like an anatomically possible position even though it seems to me that there might be something complicated regarding the strength of the back muscles.

I was therefore wondering if any of you ever had such a procedure and If so, what was the motivation to do it this way rather than having it done frontally. I assume I'll find answer in my book but I haven't read it yet. But I'm curious!

I feel it must be pretty tricky to take care of it but at the same time and lean on it while seating.

Feel free to share your experience if that means something to you

PsychoJane

Wow this will be my "Interesting facts" Ostomy thread:
Apparently the first colostomy concept was brought up by a guy name Littre as early as 1710. I wonder what was their bag... possibly some animal tissue of some sort

annawato

Staff member
Sounds impossible to me!
However as to interesting facts, I was reading about a woman who used a tin can that her husband fashioned. It was attached with a leather belt made from a horse harness if I remember correctly. I can just imagine how isolating it must have been for her to live this way. If I can find the link to the story I'll post it. There was also an article about all the different appliances (sorry Susan) used in the last century. They were kept in I think a museum in Canada. More research for you Psychojane! :)

edit: the story about the woman having to live with no ostomy appliances is called mabels story and can be found on the following blog if you are interested.
www.livingbiggerwithcolostomy.com

Sorry if this is boring to everyone and that I have hijacked your thread PsychoJane. I find it all fascinating and makes me really appreciate what we have today. More to follow below....

Last edited:

annawato

Staff member
Also this recollection of an ostomate.

I often hear some ostomates complaining about their appliances, whether it be size colour or shape, and think to myself they don't know how lucky they are given what ostomates in the early to mid-60's like myself had to wear.
I first became an Ostomate in 1968 at the age of three. Unlike today, there wasn't a choice between appliances back then, one size fitted all, so to speak.
The pouches, or bags as they were called back then, were made of thick rubber, similar in shape and size to a hot water bottle and just as thick. You were issued with two bags every six months and four flanges (or wafers as they are called today).
The pouches were reused over and over on alternate days - one was placed in a bowl of disinfectant overnight and the other worn. We had no self- adhesive flanges. We brushed a cement onto the rubber flange and around the skin of the stoma, then pressed it against the skin until it adhered to the body. Micropore tape would then be placed around the flange for added protection.
The next process was to place a metal butterfly ring on top of the flange. This was used to support the belt that had to be worn tightly around the waist because of the weight of the Urostomy bag.
There were no such things as seals, so leaking was a common occurrence. What takes minutes today (to change a leaking flange) took a whole lot longer. The flange had to be removed as well as the cement used to adhere it to the body. Both the flange and skin had to be cleaned before the flange could be re-applied.
When I look back over the last 44 years, life for Ostomates has changed for the better. It is pretty amazing stuff given the different choices of appliances available to us today when you compare what was or wasn't available in years gone by.

PsychoJane

Wow, that is quite impressive Anna.
Thanks for sharing. Just in the 14 years I've been ostomate I've seen already quite a few improvement on the appliance either was it from the fact these companies were not accessible here and now are or well, with the new innovations of the company.
I mean, I had millions of leak with my first appliances, now I pretty much never have and those I have are happening because I save money waiting longer kinda thing.

I think the funniest thing that was on my mind through the whole stoma process was the fact that, during my teenage, it was the peak of the how is it called already... The idea about the maximum of our petrol access and how it would decline. Hubbert peak or something like that... I don't know anyway, I was afraid that we would lack resources and that maybe, one day, I could not access appliances lol! Now I tell myself we would just have to go and dig on the 8th continent (garbage accumulation in the pacific) and recycle lol!

annawato

Staff member
Haha, I never even thought about that with resources running out. We could set up a company on some idyllic pacific atoll collecting trash for stoma appliances!
The thought of having to live like Mabel with a tin can attached to my stomach. OMG.