Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Starting Humira - chicken pox test

08-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
elrafantas

Starting Humira - chicken pox test

Hi,

I am about to start Humira and my doctor has ordered a blood test to confirm whether I have had chicken pox or not (and also the TB and hepatitis blood tests, and a chest X-ray). My parents are fairly sure that I have not had chicken pox - I can't remember. I just wondered what this will mean, will I have to have a vaccination before I start? I have previously been on infliximab but I don't think they checked for chicken pox before I went on it!

Thanks in advance for any advice
08-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
Miss Underestimated

Just a guess - if you have had chicken pox you might need the shingles vaccine before starting humira.
08-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
sam357

My Support Groups:
Chickenpox can be quite severe if you catch it whilst on Humira. The doctors are just checking to see if it could potentially be an issue for you. It may just be a case of you making sure you do not have any direct contact with anyone with chickenpox.
08-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
elrafantas

Much thanks for your help I had the blood test and it turns out I've had it, so I'm good to go, yippeeee!
08-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
sam357

My Support Groups:
Good luck!!

Hope it works for you and you don't get any side effects from it.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Starting Humira - chicken pox test