Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Granulomous Colitis - Crohn's Subtype?

08-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
pmitra0123

Granulomous Colitis - Crohn's Subtype?

My understanding is that there are subtypes of Crohn's and that one is Granulomous Colitis and that this subtype only affects the colon. Is that true? In this type of colitis, the upper GI upstream of the colon is not likely to be affected?

My disease is in the rectum, colon, and microscopically in the TI. I also have a couple of granulomas. Can I still have granulomous colitis with microscopic involvement of the TI?

Thanks!!
08-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
araceli
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hello. I am not a doctor. My understanding is that when Crohn's is in the large intestine is called Crohn's Colitis, Small intestine is Crohn's enteritis and usually involves the T.I when is on both the small and large intestine is called Crohn's enterocolitis. It is possible that Crohn's starts in any place of the digestive system and then move to other places, and also to have the disease everywhere. I think granulomas only appear in Crohn's and not in Ulcerative colitis. I am not a Doctor so it just my opinion. I hope someone else with more knowledge answers your question.
Current meds.
Remicade since Nov. 2012
Supplements
5000 Vit. D, Multi-Vitamins with Iron
Currently in REMISSION :dance

Mom/ 16 boy
Amplified musculoskeletal pain
Prior. Prednisone, sulfasadine,
Currently. Celebrex, gabapentin, amitriptyline.
08-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
Tired

My Support Groups:
Granulomatous Colitis is a Crohn's colitis. It is possible that later it extend to the TI.
08-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
Clash
Forum Monitor

Here is a break down the different locations and their terms:

Ileocolitis: Ileocolitis is the most common type of Crohn's disease. It affects the small intestine, known as the ileum, and the colon. People who have ileocolitis experience considerable weight loss, diarrhea, and cramping or pain in the middle or lower right part of the abdomen.

Ileitis: This type of Crohn's disease affects the ileum. Symptoms are the same as those for ileocolitis. In addition, fistulas, or inflammatory abscesses, may form in the lower right section of the abdomen.

Gastroduodenal Crohn's disease: This form of Crohn's disease involves the stomach and duodenum, which is the first part of the small intestine. People with this type of Crohn's disease suffer nausea, weight loss, and loss of appetite. In addition, if the narrow segments of bowel are obstructed, they experience vomiting.

Jejunoileitis: This form of the disease affects the jejunum, which is the upper half of the small intestine. It causes areas of inflammation. Symptoms include cramps after meals, the formation of fistulas, diarrhea, and abdominal pain that can become intense.

Crohn's (granulomatous) colitis: This form of Crohn's disease involves only the colon. Symptoms include skin lesions, joint pains, diarrhea, rectal bleeding, and the formation of ulcers, fistulas, and abscesses around the anus.
Source
dx March 2012 CD

CURRENT MEDS: MTX injections, Stelara

Dx May 2014: JSpA
8/2014 ileocecectomy
9/2017 G tube

PAST MEDS: remicade, oral mtx, humira
08-07-2013, 01:10 AM   #5
pmitra0123

Yeah guys - I understand that it can attack anywhere in the GI from mouth to anus. But, I was wondering if it is more likely to stay in the colon if it is currently granulomoutos colitis or Crohn's colitis. Or is it equally likely as any Crohn's patients to spread everywhere to mouth, stomach, GI, etc?
08-07-2013, 01:23 AM   #6
PsychoJane

My Support Groups:
Hmmm I don'T think I ever encountered specific statistic on that subject. There must be some... I just can't think of anything as of now. Otherwise... all I can share is that I had granulomatous colitis as my first/second diagnosis (they thought I had UC at first). For 10 years I had in mind I was "cured" after the removal of my colon... I had no reoccurrence for that whole time but it unfortunately came back in my case.

Currently taking: Omega-3, D-3, med-free for the time being.
~~Oh! n sorry if what I write seems strange at times, English is not my main language!~~

You'd like to chat and feel facebook would ease this point,
send me a private message and i'll do so =)
08-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
pmitra0123

I see - where did it come back to? Did you do an illeostomy? A Jpouch?
08-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
PsychoJane

My Support Groups:
It came back in several part of my upper GI: few ulcerations through duodenum and jejunum and severe fistulizing disease at the terminal ileum. I got that part removed last year and again I'm fine now and the rest of my bowel seems to do fine right now.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Granulomous Colitis - Crohn's Subtype?