• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newbie here! I'm Katie, 25 :)

Finally decided to join instead of just creep on posts.
Don't have much support and could really use some!

Diagnosed UC last month after a month of bloody diarrhea and a colonscopy w/ biopsy.
GI wants me to do a mri (or whatever the donut looking machine that looks at your insides is) because of severe inflammation. She thinks I may have Crohns too. I disagree.

Currently prescribed:
20mg prednisone
4.8 Lialda
200mg Zolof, sertreline - depression anxiety since August 2012

I am using Samples though as I can't afford the $200 copay.
This week I start to taper the prednisone.
I will also be lowering my Lialda to try to make samples last longer.
Plan to drop to 2.4 starting this week :(

I only have my husband and a couple friends close by. Not close with parents. Only husbands Grandparents are in same city... but very supportive.

I have been having nonstop headaches since starting Lialda.
Body aches make for a hard time sleeping about 3-4 nights a week.
Current symptoms also include soft serve poop, lots of mucus, some blood.
Mostly body aches and headaches and some days worsening depression.

Nothing like a good kitty cuddle to make things seem somewhat better tho!

I miss my whole grains and veggies. Was a vegetarian for 5 years and very sad that most veggies are out for me now... and beans! And spice. Always loved spicy foods.
Also one beer and I'm in the bathroom for an hour! Sorry delicious microbrews.

What a rambly post. Please feel free to comment or message me or anything.
I really need some proactive, positive people in my life right now.

afidz

Super Moderator
Hello!
First and foremost, for your enjoyment: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=12296
What leads your GO to believe you have Crohn's, why do you disagree?
I don't know very much about Zoloft or Lialda, but be sure to talk to your doctor about your symptoms. Maybe there needs to be a different cocktail of meds.
Here is another link for mental health support, feel free to talk about anything and everything you need to, all of us are pretty understanding when it comes to depression :http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77
I kind of know where Appleton WI is, my uncle lives there. He is the Executive Chef at the Machine Shed in the area. I have never been there though, I have only been as far north as Waukesha.
One more thing, once you start to feel better, you can slowly start to introdice veggies and beans back into your diet. (very slowly)

Machine Shed! The servers wear overalls and flannels, lol.

I have to take Lialda (mesasal....mine?) Because I'm allergic to Sulfa drugs and the other cheaper option is sulfa, boo.

My doctor thinks Crohns because half way through my colonoscopy she met an inflammation wall that she couldn't get to the second half of my colon (rest of transverse and ascending.) She really didn't give me any reason why besides the inflammation.

I don't think I have Crohns because since this flare up started in June I've had pretty clear cut Uc symptoms over crohns symptoms.

My GI doc doesn't have very good bedside manner.
She seemed impressed/surprised at all the info I had coming into our first appt together after my colonoscopy. I don't think she's very good, but I'm poor and that's who they stuck me with.... so i dunno.