• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fistula advice

HI all, I'm a 27 year old crohns sufferer and had surgery to remove part of my bowel, the only problem I had is that a fistula formed, I'm on a course of tablets called sixmp, but I was just wondering if physical exercise could help close the fistula, has anyone else had experience of a fistula and what kind of treatment was used? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

I've had a lot of fistulas. I had to be put on Remicade to make them go away. It worked for a little while but they still came back. I've been put on Flagyl recently and that made all of them heal up. When I have one, I put an antibotic cream and a bandaid on it since it hurts when I walk. Make sure you change out the bandaid regulary though!! And clean the fistula a lot.

Its the 2nd time I've had one, so frustrating, mine is at the bottom of my scar, nreally awkward place as it is also in line with my waist line, makes it awkward to wear certain clothes, did u get backache too? My back hasnt been the same since my 2nd operation last december

I get mine in the crease of my thighs which is really uncomfortable and painful. All the ones I've had have left scars. I didn't get my fistulas from having an operation though. Mine just appeared all of a sudden and won't go away.

I've had mine since last april, well it went away gor a few weeks afterthe operation but came back, I'll suggest flagyl to my doctor hopefully he can sort something out, thanks

PsychoJane

Do you know if your fistula is directly linked to your crohn? By that I mean, let say you had a resection, it is possible for a fistula to form due to a leek at the anastomosis site. Then it's more surgical than crohn related. I believe these have more chance to be cleared with antibiotics than the one strictly related to crohn (inflammation + pus collection that tries to reach a cavity or the outside of your body). Generally I would be given Cipro+flagyl for at the least 2 weeks to try and manage them. At some point I had antibiotics for months to keep them in proper condition. Otherwise, anti-tnf and normally immunosuppressor like 6mp or AZA are suppose to help keeping them close when they are crohn related.

Yea I had a reversal last december and it just didnt heal rightly, the connection is from my bowel to the scar bit, and is coming out through there, not a pretty sight