• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

So Scared About my symptoms, past antibiotic use

Hi,

I feel like a fraud posting here as I have not been diagnosed with Crohn's. I've been having panic attacks thinking that I could possibly have Crohn's.

I took Tetracycline for a year and a half. My dermatologist assured me it was safe. He kept giving me refills, and my parents took it for years when they were younger.

Since 4 months ago I've been suffering with abdominal pain, occasional diahrea and nausea. The pain is a burning sensation or like someone is trying to eat my intestines. Doesn't happen all the time but seems to be coming more frequently.

I've done so much research and am worried I could have developed Crohn's from my antibiotic use. I don't know what the odds are but I have seen studies linking Tetracycline use and Crohn's. I just wish I could go back in time and change things.

I've had a colonoscopy, bloodwork and ultrasound and everything was okay, except my B-12 was low which I know is a sign of Crohn's. But the doctor said it was unrelated to my stomach issues

Just very scared and deeply disappointed in myself for not doing my research further.

You are all so brave to deal with this disease. I feel that tetracycline should not be given out for acne, the risks are too high.

I just wish I did research before taking this stupid antibiotic.

I'm not supposed to be on here posting cause it makes my anxiety worse. I was in the hospital last week cause my undiagnosed stomach condition was causing me so much anxiety.

Most of my family and friends think that the tetracycline could not have caused this and that I need to move on, but the pain can be great sometimes and the mental anxiety as bad.

kiny

Hiya,

Stop worrying please. The chance that an antibiotic causes crohn's disease is a rounding error in most studies, 3% more than controls. So put the idea that you did something wrong, and all the "what if's" out of your head, it's the past, it doesn't matter anymore.

Since the issue is in your stomach from what I understand, I don't know why you're worrying about crohn's disease.

Low B-12 can come from a million and one things, trying to guess where it comes from is called hypothesis generating, doctors will advise you not to go look up lots of stuff online if you're doing that, because like you know, you're trying to self-diagnose yourself this way which will only make you even more nervous.

If your doctor advices you to take an antibiotic, do so as suggested.

If you're in phyiscal pain, tell your doctor, and listen to your family, there is nothing to get worked up about, it doesn't help, have some faith in yourself, it will be ok.

Don't feel like a fraud. A lot of people come here without a diagnosis. There's a thread for people still waiting for a diagnosis here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=13113 .

There's no evidence that antibiotics cause Crohn's. They can cause stomach upset, but it's temporary.

There are many other possible causes of your symptoms besides Crohn's, so even if Crohn's has been ruled out you need a good doctor to look for other causes and provide you with treatment and symptoms management.

Try taking a good probiotic for 6 weeks or so like "Align" and see if it doesn't help you. It will put back the good bacteria the antibiotics killed. You need a balance. My gastro told me to only take them 6 weeks and see if they do help.

Ok anxiety can cause so many things and make things worse. Having a colonoscopy should help you to feel better about not having Crohn's. Actually when I went in to have my first colonoscopy my Dr was so surprised that I had crohns he thought for sure it was IBS. Oh and IBS also can give you the same symptoms you describe. Maybe concentrate and read up on IBS I bet you will learn a lot!!