Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » New user of Mesalamine(What to Expect???)

08-10-2013, 12:52 AM   #1
deep_hazra

My Support Groups:
New user of Mesalamine(What to Expect???)

Hello Everyone,

I had been suffering a lot with GI symptoms like Nausia,Abdominal Pain,Fatigue,Weight Loss & semisolid stool from past 8 years.In this time period I have lost 20 kg weight.The doctors have previously diagnosed with IBS.

However this year I went to a Gastroentrologist in Kolkata,India who found that Vitamin D & Vitamin B12 to be very low.Also a chunk was taken from my Terminal ileum for biopsy & after the results the doctor concluded I have mild crohns.

Now he has put me on Mesalamine Delayed release tablets 400 mg (2 x 3times) daily since 1st August 2014.

Can anyone tell me how much time will the medicine take to work & what r the side effects because since I have been on Mesalamine I am having a lot of fatigue & weakness.Is this side effect normal.

I have had a horrible 8 yrs as all doctors used to diagnose me with IBS & everything was in my head but I always felt I was not being diagnosed properly.This disease has badly affected the quality of my life & I even stated having Depression.

Now that I have been diagnosed properly I am determined to get the disease under remission.Therefore please post ur inputs & help me out.
08-10-2013, 03:37 AM   #2
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
Hello there
I am very glad you have found your way to the forum. You are most welcome :-) I'm also glad you have got some answers after 8 long years. Unfortunately, there are quite a few people on the forum who were misdiagnosed with IBS.
Mesalamine is quite a common first med to be put on, especially in cases where the disease is determined to be mild. I can't really recall any major side effects, but that's because I was put on a steroid first and those have major side effects!
One thing I did find ( on Mesren which is a Mesdalamine derivative ) is that, as warned on the drug leaflet, I did burn a lot easier in the sun so had to stay out of it as much as possible.
I'm not sure if fatigue and weakness are common side effects - they could be caused by the disease itself - but I'm sure there will be some other members along soon who also have experience of the drug.

Previous: Prednisolone, Mesren, Omeprazole, Infliximab, Azathioprine
Current: Pentasa, Librax, Warfarin
Helen x
08-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #3
lizbeth
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hello deep_hazra

I've been on the medication since diagnosis 9 months ago and haven't really noticed any side effects, although like Grumbletum I was on steroids too. Overall I don't feel any different than before I started melamine so I would say it hasn't given me any trouble.

I'm sorry that you have gone for 8 years with your symptoms, hopefully now you will begin to get better, good luck and best wishes and a very warm welcome to the crohns forum.
08-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
prettykitty

My Support Groups:
Hi Deep,

I also have mild disease that was initially thought to be IBS but was determined to be Crohns, based on biopsy of tissue from the terminal ileum. I have now been on Pentasa since April 2009.

It took a couple of weeks before it kicked in. Since you just started the medication on 8/1, I think you're still in the window... do you have a follow-up appointment scheduled with your gastro? If you're still not seeing any improvement in another week or two, you'll want to raise that with your doctor.

I have not experienced any side effects from the Pentasa. Grumbletum mentioned sun sensitivity -- I have not had this issue. Although, I am very fair-skinned and prone to sunburn anyway, so I think it would be hard to tell the difference!

The only thing is the pentasa granules in my stool! I don't know if the formulation you take is similar to pentasa -- pentasa is a capsule full of tiny granules, many of the granules pass all the way through, giving me speckled poo. It was unsettling at first, but as I learned from this forum, it is totally normal!
08-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
deep_hazra

My Support Groups:
Thank you everyone for all the inputs....I fell really blessed to have found this forum as Crohns is still a very rare disease in India so there is really no one to share my experience & pain with when it comes to tackling this disease here in India.

Big Hug to everyone....
08-11-2013, 01:21 AM   #6
Samboi

My Support Groups:
Hi Hazra
I had about ten great years of remission taking mesalamine.
So live it up whilst you can!
Hope it works as well for you as it did for me.
Good luck!
Trying Vedoluzimab - running out of options
Neupogen

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » New user of Mesalamine(What to Expect???)