Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » How bad is a catheter?

08-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
alouise09

How bad is a catheter?

So I have to possibly get surgery in a few weeks. That means I have to get a catheter. I'm only 22 and have never had one before. So how bad does it hurt? Is it uncomfortable once it is in? I'm freaking out!
08-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
Crohn's gal since 1989

My Support Groups:
They put a catheter in before I delivered both my kids, didn't bother me at all. 😄

Diagnosed 1989
Asacol,Pentasa and Entocort (didn't work in 2005 and didn't work now)
Done with Prednisone 09/07/13
Azathioprine (Imuran)150mg no longer working
Developed allergic reaction to Humira injection!
Currently trying Remicade with Methotrexate
Still trying to get into remission!

Ileocecol resection surgery
September 14th, 2013.
55cm small bowel removed!
08-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
Tired

My Support Groups:
Once they put it in, you forget about it.
08-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
afidz
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Most of the time, if its for surgical purposes, they will wait until you are asleep before they put it in, and your mind will be everywhere else but there after surgery. When they put it in, they inflate a small area of the tube with air to keep it in place, and when they take it out, they use an empty syringe to suck out the air and it comes out. You don't even really feel it.
Ankilosing Spondylitis
Inflammatory Arthritis

Failed meds:
Humira
Remicade
Asacol HD
Cimzia
Methotrexate
08-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
alouise09

Yea I'm pretty sure they will put it in while I'm asleep for the surgery. Once I'm awake though, will it feel weird or uncomfortable being up there. Does it hurt coming out?
08-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
guitarjamie03

My Support Groups:
I just had surgery earlier this year and had to have a catheter for about a week. They will put it in once you are asleep, so you won't know it is there until you wake up. You can't really feel it when it is in, but It is a little awkward when they take it out, but not painful. Best of luck on your surgery!
08-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #7
alouise09

Thanks, that makes me feel better! I just don't like tubes and stuff in me! An IV is uncomfortable enough to have to worry about! I don't want it getting pulled on or anything! Ouch!
08-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #8
valleysangel92

My Support Groups:
I barely noticed my catheter.. didn't even realize I had it until I laid on the tube. The only time I really felt it was walking around with it, but it wasn't uncomfortable, just strange. Taking it out was easy, felt a tiny tug when it was deflated and then nothing. I was really nervous about having one too, but afterwards I wondered what I'd been worried about. Honestly, you'll actually be glad of it when you wake up and don't have to keep going back and fore the bathroom from all the fluids you're getting.

Nicola
coeliac disease/Osteopenia /Crohns/Arthritis/
laperoscopic hemicolectomy 25/06/ 2013

Meds- Vedolizumab, sulfasalazine, Lansoprazole, Vitamin D, prochlorperazine, Oramorph, MST, B12 shots My journey with crohns: http://glutenfreecookiemonster.wordpress.com/

Allergic to - inflectra, aza

Non CD meds - Gabapentin, paracetamol, ventolin
08-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #9
Johnnysmom
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I didn't even notice it.

Good luck with your surgery!! Let us know how you are getting along. (((hugs))))
6mp 50mg every day
Allopurinol 50mg -discontinued per new G.I. on 11/01/12
Multi Vitamin
Vitamin D3 1000mg
Prayer
08-14-2013, 02:39 AM   #10
JMC

As other people have said, they put it in while you are under GA and once it is there it is not that uncomfortable. The only issue I had was with it draining properly as it is quite easy when you are in bed to lie on the tube or get into a position where it is not working. You will know about this though as the pain in your bladder will be excruciating when it is full and this is quickly relieved by getting it to drain again. Best of luck.
08-14-2013, 05:06 AM   #11
alouise09

Thanks for all of your replies! That makes me not as nervous about getting a catheter! Now I can just be nervous about the surgery and the NG tube! Eeckkk!
08-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #12
Sunshine Cat

My Support Groups:
It's much better than having to go to the bathroom when you are very sore from the operation!
08-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #13
Marx

Good luck on your surgery!

They'll put it in while you're asleep and I didn't even feel mine when I woke up, just the annoyance of having it connected but no pain or discomfort whatsoever. When they're pulling it out they deflate with a syringe (which you won't feel at all) then pull it out. It doesn't hurt but you get a little stingy feeling for a bit.

With a temporary bag

Current meds - Azathioprine, omeprezole

Previous meds - budesonide, prednisolone, infliximab, omeprezole
08-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #14
alouise09

I'm just thankful I will be asleep when they put it in! That is the scariest part!
08-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #15
rob101

My Support Groups:
I was still awake and I didn't feel any pain !.
08-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #16
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Catheters and NG tubes don't hurt coming out. It feels weird. Hard to describe. It only lasts for a couple of seconds. I'm sure you'll do fine. Best of luck with the surgery.

Visit Crohn's and Colitis Canada:
http://www.crohnsandcolitis.ca/site/...tis_Canada.htm

Living in Ontario with no drug benefits?

Trillium Drug Program:
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi..._trillium.aspx

Dave
08-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #17
Crohn's gal since 1989

My Support Groups:
I thought theNG tube coming out felt like when you accidentally get water up your nose when swimming.
08-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #18
plaidknitter

My Support Groups:
I had a catheter when I had a c-section for my daughters birth, and I was actually pretty sad when they took it out! It didn't hurt going in or coming out, and it was sooo nice not having to get up to pee. Getting up to go to the bathroom after they took it out really hurt.
08-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #19
Ginger is her name

My Support Groups:
Neither tube is a big deal. If you feel like you need to per when your catheter is in, it could be pinched...call for help if that happens!!! Or it may need changed...either way...easy, non-painful fixes

And the NG tube will be placed during surgery. It doesn't hurt to have it taken put...a little weird, but there isn't any pain.

Good luck!
08-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #20
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I've been worrying about this too. I'm having surgery soon and am terrified of having a catheter and an NG tube. I've never had either before, but I have had three cystoscopies (camera into the bladder) and I fainted from pain both times I had it done without anaesthetic. The one time I had it done during another surgery and was under general anaesthetic, I obviously didn't feel it when it was being done, but afterwards when I came round when I peed it burned terribly and my urine was full of blood for a couple of days. It's one of the worst procedures I've ever had and I never want anything inserted in my bladder again. I have similar pain from gynaecological testing.

Has anyone had a catheter who's also had a cystoscopy? Is the catheter much less painful than a cystoscopy? I was told beforehand by the doctors that cystoscopies aren't painful, so I'm not sure if the pain I feel is abnormal - which is why I'm worrying about having a catheter, as even if it's painless for most people, I'm worried that might not be the case for me.

Also, when you have a catheter, do you still feel an urge to pee?
08-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #21
valleysangel92

My Support Groups:
It shouldnt be painful even with your history, catheter tubes are soft at the end and very flexible. I have pain during gaeny testing but had none with the catheter. I also have a long history of bad UTIs .

The catheter constantly empties the bladder so the bladder doesnt fill up. Any urge to go could be because the catheter is being pinched or the container needs emptying so tell your nurse if that happens.
08-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #22
plaidknitter

My Support Groups:
If the catheter is draining properly, then no you do not feel the urge to pee.

I think the equipment used for cystoscopy is stiffer than a regular catheter, but I haven't personally had one. From what I've seen of other bladder testing on my child, the catheters for tests are somewhat different from a run of the mill Foley catheter. I am fairly uncomfortable during gyn testing of any sort but didn't feel the catheter once it was in place,

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » How bad is a catheter?