• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

SCD and sleep issues

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone that is on scd has experienced sleep quality issues due to the diet? I've been on the diet for awhile and have definitely noticed my sleep is much more broken through the night.

how long have you been on it? it could definitely be your body getting used to changes, I get disturbed sleep due to flaring as a symptom of CD. Im in QLD btw, and wondering how the GSK trial is going?

Hi Joshuaa,

My Gastro doesn't bag SCD but he did say that a diet high in protein and low in carbs would cause sleep disturbances but I thought I'd ask others on SCD because Dr's are always a bit biased.

As for the trial drug, I've been on the drug for 4 weeks and still haven't noticed any change but the trial nurse said I should give it a full 8 weeks at least to see if it helps.

Do you take naps during the day? Your body is used to burning sugar for energy so it doesn't surprise me that eliminating most sources would cause fatigue or insomnia while you adapt.

As far as high protein, I haven't heard of it causing insomnia and I was taking in 2 grams per pound of body weight for years.

Joshuaa, on this trial You go on two x250mg capsules morning and two x 250mg capsules at night. However one of the doses might or might not be a placebo but one of the doses is definitely the active drug. So I'm either on 500mg once a day or 500mg twice a day.

Hi Kel, I think you're right it might just be an adjustment issue maybe I'll give it awhile longer and see if things improve.

I always have sleep issues when on a low-carb diet... But I am a poor sleeper anyway, to be fair. I am not familiar with the exact science of it, but there is a reason why a high-carb meal makes you sleepy and sluggish. On the contrary a low-carb meal makes me feel energetic, which is great, but not so great if it means only getting 4 hours sleep per night. The SCD is difficult for me for this reason.

I've not heard of the SCD diet causing sleep issues, but it would not surprise me if that happens. It is a lower carb diet, and with that can take time for your body to adjust.

Many that begin low carb diets will supplement with magnesium. This is helpful to combat muscle fatigue that can develop. Mg is also beneficial for a good nights sleep.

Dr. Eades had an article that might be of help. He goes into detail on suggestions he gives patients when they begin eating low carb. In it he has a mention on taking magnesium.

"Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II"

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...ks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-pt-ii/

Also recall this in the news recently, with mention on magnesium and its importance for a good nights rest:

"3 nutrients linked with a better night's sleep"

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/07/29/3-nutrients-linked-with-better-night-sleep/

Hi Helena, I agree totally on one side we need scd to keep our Crohns somewhat controlled but on the other side extra energy that comes from low carb high protein can impact sleep.

From what I've read all meat protein has loads of an amino acid called tryptophan as well as other amino acids. This Tryptophan converts to serotonin which is a very important neurotransmitter. Serotonin then Converts to melatonin at night. Melatonin is the chemical responsible for sleep. Low melatonin = bad nights sleep.

Carbohydrates stimulate your pancreas to release insulin, which clears the way for more tryptophan to enter your brain. This then triggers your brain to manufacture melatonin and serotonin, which help you to feel more relaxed and sleepier.

Continued......

The problem with to much protein is that the other amino acids in protein compete with tryptophan and negate the amounts of tryptophan that is available to be converted to serotonin. Instead the abundance of the other amino acids that are floating around convert to neurotransmitters that excite and stimulate.

Crampygut - let us know how the magnesium, ZMA works out. I take magnesium, have for awhile, but don't know if it or other items taken helped most with improved rest. When I began taking magnesium I also changed my diet similar to the SCD, plus began using other supplements useful for sleep. Melatonin is for sale in America & I take 3mg of time release in the evening.

I have a few relatives that rely largely on taking magnesium in the evening for a good nights rest. It works very well for them.

It is kind of cute also in that recently I purchased one of those alarm clocks that simulates sunlight. I believe it is called a SAD light. It's great, it does a good job of waking me up. Maybe not the correct way to describe it, but the bright light removes melatonin from the system. The cute part is the cats come into the room in the morning anymore. When the light turns on, and gradually increases in intensity, they begin purring away. The two of them have become the sound part of the wake up light clock. :p

Not to post to many articles, but saw on Emily Dean's sight a nice write up about the importance of light and dark on a good nights sleep, not only for animals and humans too.

"Sunshine and Sad Hamsters"

http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com/2013/08/sunshine-and-sad-hamsters.html

I guess before I forget, I have found also that when I eat chicken and eggs I sleep poorly. Both are trigger foods for me too so not surprising that I would have a restless night from that.

It's in general. It can take a few days of eating chicken and eggs before I become ill to the stomach I've found.

It takes ruffly a day though for my sleep to become poor after eating chicken and eggs. It's doesn't matter what I take or do, I'll have a restless night.