• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Protein Shakes. Article.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Not about IBD so just pull from it what is applicable, but seems to be a good basic article about adding proteins into a diet:

THE vitamin and supplement industry is worth about $1.5 billon a year in Australia.

Protein shakes were once the domain of elite athletes to prepare and restore their muscles before and after training sessions, but they are now used by ordinary people looking to eat lean, bulk up at the gym or even as meal replacements.

However, nutritionist Cyndi O'Meara says you should ditch that protein shake and fuel your body with natural foods.
"Always check the back of your protein shake packet or powder," she said. "Most of us just look at the nutritional labels for fat and sugar break-down, but that doesn't matter nearly as much as what goes inside these shakes."

That's easier said than done, though. A quick glance at most protein shake bottles reveals a big cross section of random letters and numbers.
"They are actually code for an enormous range of synthetic vitamins and minerals and other substances like non-gluing agents that help your body process these 'false' foods," she said.
"If it's a real food your body will recognise it and know how to process it. You are much better off fuelling your body with natural foods, as close to the real thing that you can get."

According to Ms O'Meara, the protein craze kicked off in the 1980s with body builders, and thanks to movies such as Rocky, and back then people focused on eating raw eggs.
"This has gone out of fashion given the rising problem in monitoring food standards, but from a nutritional point of view there is nothing wrong with eggs - they are a perfect and whole protein," she said.

Over the past 20 years there has been an increase in the use of synthetic colours, flavours and additives. Ms O'Meara said these products were unnecessarily complicated and most can be easily replicated from natural ingredients.
For example, the whey ingredient that features in the more expensive protein powders can actually be made from straining natural yoghurt.
"Pour the yoghurt over a muslin cloth. The grey, cloudy liquid that comes off it is the pure protein. You can add that to a smoothie with fruit or nuts," she said.
Organ meats like kidneys and offal are another great source of protein, vitamins and nutrients.
"They have really gone out of fashion now, but they are really excellent sources of nutrition and protein," she said.

It's also essential to listen to your body.
"Once you have cleaned it out of all the foods that are doing you harm, your body will actually tell you very clearly what it needs," she said.
If you do insist on taking a protein powder, Ms O'Meara recommends products made from hemp or Inca Inchi.
Inca Ichi is made from a seed found in South America. Once it's cold pressed, you are left with an oil that is a pure form of protein.
"Again these are derived from natural food sources so your body will manage the digestion them effectively," she said.

Above all, Ms O'Meara recommends a balanced and whole approach to fitness and nutrition.
"If the rest of your diet is crap and you are swallowing a pile of supplements or shakes, they will not work," she said.
"It's like when people ask me what foods they should be eating before a big race. And I always tell them, eat the same thing you eat every other night. If you are committed to your health, you need to be making good decisions every day, not just before a sports event or a marathon."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...ds/story-fneuz9ev-1226698844757#ixzz2cB7jeYG9
Dusty. :)

When I rejoined a gym a few years back, looking to gain some lean weight, I had a few people suggesting I try drinking a protein drink after working out. I tried a few but found they tended to slightly upset my stomach, made me feel chilled for some reason, and moody too.

In the end I passed on the protein drinks, and concentrated on eating healthy. I made good progress in the gym that way, gaining 40lbs ruffly. In the end I believe, there isn't a substitute to healthy meals.

Kev

Not sure if it is germaine (maybe it is Tito?).. I've never done the protein shakes per se, but after my oral surgery... initially when eating solid foods posed real problems, I bought a quantity of those (I won't use brand names, who wants a lawsuit) bottled meal supplements/replacements.. to 'ensure' I maintained a good caloric intake. Is that clear?

The contents read more like a chemistry test than a food label, but they tasted OK. But, if I drank more than one of these a day... I would pay for it with an urgent need to use the washroom. Since starting LDN, I only use the bathroom 1 - 2 times a day, perfectly normal. Everything formed properly. With the onset of diabetes, things loosened up in this regard, but still livable. But, if I add more than 1 bottle of these other products to my daily intake, my output becomes... torrential??? (trying to be specific without being too gross). So, these products scare the ....... out of me (literally and figuratively). OK?

My father drank them when he was battling cancer and they upset his stomach terribly after prolonged use. The Hospice nurses warned us that would happen. Because of my dad's medical situation it was the best answer to his solution. But for young people who are trying to grow or adults trying to gain weight and get healthy I am not sure the benefits out weigh the negatives.

nogutsnoglory

I agree Kev it sounds more like a mad scientists list and that the ingredients creep me out with many protein shakes. Unfortunately so many artificial sweeteners and isolates of proteins are being used to create the shakes. These properties are not food in the traditional sense and its not surprising the body has a reaction like some GI distress.

Kev

I had never really given these products much thought. I think I vaguely recall suggesting to someone on here years back with absorption issues they try them. Now that I'm verging on the geritratic set myself, I figured sooner or later I'd end up trying them. But after my recent experience with them.. (like, I never finished the 6 pack that I bought) ...I don't see them adding to my life enjoyment in my latter years ahead.

The bizarre thing... these things are stockpiled in the 'Health Food' section of our local grocery stores... along with the 'natural' products, the gluten free stuff, the vegetarian stuff.. AND they can't seem to keep the shelves stocked. They sell like hotcakes. So, is my experience rare... or common.. and if common, who is buying all this stuff and how do they cope? I mean, if someone was constipated, looking for a nicely flavoured laxative... this is just the ticket. But, unless you wanted to live in a washroom, forget it