Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Cimzia/Certolizumab » Cimzia and Pregnancy

08-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
Cimzia and Pregnancy

Hi! First time visiting here and posting. I hope somebody can give me their opinion.
I was Dx with Crohns in 2005 and was started on Remicade after 1 year of the 5 ASA drugs that didn't work. I kept flaring and would have to go on Prednisone-which I hated.
Anyway, I have been in remission pretty much since then. I am currently 21 weeks pregnant and have been continuing my Remicade.
My GI wants to switch me to Cimzia in the next couple weeks-before the 3rd trimester. I haven't spoken directly to her, but her nurse said that Cimzia will not cross the placenta or into breast milk where Remicade will. According to what I have found today online that isn't true. They both seem to be equal from what I have found. I have only spend today researching, so maybe I am finding misinformation.
Anyway, any of your thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!
08-21-2013, 11:48 PM   #2

My Support Groups:
Cimzia is not mentioned as crossing the placenta. I would confirm with the makers of Cimzia.

"BIOLOGICS. Infiximab (Remicade®), adalimumab (Humira®) and certolizumab (Cimzia®) are biologic compounds approved for the treatment of both Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis (infliximab only), are all considered low risk. It also does not appear in breast milk. However, both adalimumab and infliximab cross the placenta in high levels late in pregnancy so your doctor may want to give the last dose in the middle of your third trimester."
08-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
Does anybody have any specific experience with this drug and pregnancy? Thanks!
08-25-2013, 02:40 AM   #4

My Support Groups:
Hi Nursenancy, I've never been pregnant so I don't have any experience but I found a thread where a member was pregnant while on Cimzia (they also had a healthy baby while on Humira): There are other threads where members are on other biologics like Remicade who also had a healthy baby:

Be sure to talk to your doctor about the risks involved and keep us posted.
Diagnosis: Crohn's in 1991 at age 9
Surgeries: 1 Small Bowel Resection in 1999; Central IV in 1991-92
Meds for CD: 6MP 75mg
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel (endometriosis), Tylenol 3 (Osteoarthritis), Zantac 150mg 2/day (acid reflux), Klonopin 1mg (Panic Disorder), Imitrex 25mg (migraines), Zofran 8mg (nausea)
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 19 years and counting.
08-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
Thanks Jennifer!
10-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #6

My Support Groups:
I was healthy enough that I could go off of Remicade when I got pregnant and was able to stay med-free for quite a while after delivery. My GI was fine with me staying on Remicade through the pregnancy and they have had enough healthy babies delivered to moms on the drug, that I would have been okay with it too if I would have HAD to stay on.

I guess I am wondering how many people have been studied using Cimzia since it is a newer drug? I agree that getting in touch with the manufacturer is a good idea and maybe try searching some academic journals for studies. Go to your local college/university library if possible and they can help!

Diagnosed in with Crohn's in large and small bowel in 2000.

Seton placement (2) and fistulotomy December 2013. Setons removed July 2014.

Laparoscopic Right Hemicolectomy July 2016, 25 cms removed

Current meds: Entyvio every 4 weeks, Imuran 225mg, Flagyl and Cipro 500 mg twice a day

Previously: Remicade, Humira, Simponi, Pentasa, Sulphasalazine, Entocort, Stelara, Methotrexate, Prednisone

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Cimzia/Certolizumab » Cimzia and Pregnancy