• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

A 5 year battle with myself

I was diagnosed with Crohns five years ago (when I was 23) when I was brought to the ER for agonizing pain in my abdomen..over the last few years I have been given steroids, anti-inflammatory medications as well as Remicade. Last year I was denied health insurance and took it upon myself to control my disease with diet until Obamacare was active, but unfortunately have done a poor job. I have gone from 125lbs to 108lbs in the last few months and have been either throwing up most of what I consume or the other end is taking the brunt of my situation. My good friend who also has crohns told me to find a forum to talk to others in my position or with similar issues SO here I am. Not everything in my life is that bad..I have a beautiful son and a loving husband.

hi.i understand completely. i am sorry you're going through a hard time. i often feel like i should do it on my own. going to the drs having test and now my current issue being allergic to the meds is so stressful to me. are you on any specific diet? i look alot into natural healing. but if our mind body and spirit aren't on the same page it becmes difficult. i havent been to dr or taken meds in a yr and a half.currently flaring.im scared.mm has worked for me but cant have it where i live. good luck to you.

Dear Plantluvr,

My diet is still (even after 5 years) trial and error. Trying to eat more fish and chicken rather than red meat. I do not handle anything acidic very well and i have a terrible craving for sugar all the time which creates a problem. My husband bought a vitamix which I am using but havent found a recipe that doesnt "overwhelm" my system. I am pretty sure I know what you mean by mm and if I am correct it helps me too. Usually. This last flare up it didnt do much but help me sleep. AM I BECOMING IMMUNE?!?

hi.i understand completely. i am sorry you're going through a hard time. i often feel like i should do it on my own. going to the drs having test and now my current issue being allergic to the meds is so stressful to me. are you on any specific diet? i look alot into natural healing. but if our mind body and spirit aren't on the same page it becmes difficult. i havent been to dr or taken meds in a yr and a half.currently flaring.im scared.mm has worked for me but cant have it where i live. good luck to you.
What is mm?

hi. its medical marijuana. maybe you need a different strain with higher cbd. it helps me with other things other than my crohns. i understand cravings. i went from vegetarian to eating all meat but usually prednisone induced. i want to eat all organic but cant afford it. and its hard following a diet when everyone else can have what they want and and trying to cook several different meals to suit everyone is impossible. i have a 3 yr old girl whom i have on a strict diet until we moved and dont have money or options. maybe look at some natural diets specific to crohns. ultimately its up us what we eat but its so hard to change due to cravings? have you ever had your thyroid checked? i have hyperthyroidism. made me crave sugar lots

I think it's my own stubborness and stupudity which allowed me to indulge in things I know I shouldnt be eating. Also what you aaid about how hard it is when everyone else can wat whatrver they want. I just have to buckle down and get it going. Thank you plantluvr for so much support. .. its really nice to have someone to talk to.

Goodmorning and hope you are well. i know im so happy to have found this site as ive never really been to talk to ppl about what goes on. i can but i feel they dont really care. the only one who was ever there for me and comforted me my mom passed away 3 yrs ago. my dad always tells me just to get a job even after long hospital stays. ive been on disability for 6 yrs and got it my 1st time i applied. i dont think that would have happened if i wasnt disabled. i have several other medical issues as well. my husband quit caring and were having a rocky rd. my dad makes me feel like a failure. im doing the best i can to be the best mom i can be and to me that is my job. as far as foods diet drs and meds at times i can be so stubborn. its just a choice and sometimes i have the hardest time making it. but the more i look up monsonto and food ingredients the more i want to change specially for my kid and her diet to. discipline is hard.im allergic to so many meds i dont know what to do. but i keep going as that all i can do. sorry for venting.glad another day is here no matter how i feel. i hope you have a great day.:hug:

I am on the SCD diet. It has helped me very much. My problem was extreme inflammation and joint pain. I was in a wheelchair before Christmas. I am not walking and swimming, and my weight is normal. I hope you find what works for you. I tried several diets before SCD.
I want to encourage you. Don't think of your diet as things you can't have. Look at your food as something that will heal you. Stay away from fake food, snacks, junk. As my doctor says, "Eat the Rainbow!" Colorful foods. {hugs}

I have had crohns for give years as well and I have found that if I dont eat beef at all that I feel so much better. I also tend to stay away from anything that is straight milk like ice cream. Cheese is okay now and then. Eating lots of chicken and turkey and salad works best for me. Now if I try to eat beef I get very sick so I just dont bother with it anymore. I am about to run into a similar situation with our healthcare running out I wont be able to afford humira until I find another healthcare so until then I will have to end treatment... I am worried incase I do get sick. I am in remission now and part of me would love to come off it anyway and stick to my azathrioprine but the unceetaintly of not knowing if illness will ensue is putting me off..

It's not stubborn or stupid to eat the occasional food that may light the touch paper ,a life spent eating rice and chicken gets really boring when your flare up ends and it will,try,carefully to re-introduce a more normal less boring diet,I,m easing back into salad and veggies which I really like,but in small amounts and touchwood it's been mostly ok,my kingdom for coleslaw.cheers