• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Trigger Point Injections with Humira

I have had back surgery 19 years ago and have had bas muscle spasms since. I informed me pain management doc that I started H. I explained that H can lower one's immunity. He suggested that we stop the injections which are a combination of cortisone (cortcosteroid) and lidocaine. He said that together the to drugs would lower my immunity too much.

I have done some searching on the net and people take the injections while on H with no problem.

Anyone here have experience with this?

Last edited:
I realised you needed some help here as there are no replies. Unfortunately I have no experience with this but I felt bad to leave this... I hope someone can help you :)

It's riskier - I think the docs don't want the liability. If you get an infection, you would have very little resistance to it. If you really want to take that chance, I'd bring it up again with my pain doc. If he doesn't have a plan B, let him know you understand the risk and would rather have the improved quality of life without the pain.

I've been in a similar situation but there were alternative drugs available.

I know this post is a few months old but years back I had trigger point injections that did not contain a corticosteroid... I believe it was lidocaine only. It kept my back pain away for awhile. Ask if there is an alternative like that if this is still an issue for you! Good luck.

As a follow up. I had a few rounds of trigger point injections with 0 problems. On the flip side I need to get a few epidural injections to try to quell the terrible siatica I have been having. I've suffered with a bad back for the past 37 years, nothing new or due to Humira.

That's good that you were able to get them with no problems. Hope the rest gets sorted out. With this disease... Who needs any extra pain!!!!!