Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Irritation around stoma.

08-25-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
annawato

My Support Groups:
Irritation around stoma.

I've come to accept that I will always have some irritation around my stoma. Probably 1/8' of raw red skin that stings like hell when I put on a new bag with paste carefully placed around the hole. Or worse when liquid output seeps onto it. owwwwwwweeee.
But I was wondering if everyone has this. Should I be accepting it as part and parcel of having a stoma?
What is other peoples experience and what do you use for it? I use paste and when its really bad I put stomahesive powder dabbed with barrier wipe over the raw bit. This helps the initial sting factor but doesn't heal the skin. I also always use barrier wipes over the whole skin area and the rest is looking pretty good if I do say so myself.

you name it, i've tried and failed it! currently on- waiting to see whats new and reducing pred
temp. ileostomy reversed feb 2011, new ileostomy, nov 2012
4 resections plus removal of adhesions etc, recurrent intestinal abscesses
lyme disease, depression, sacroileitis, chronic pain and......Crohn's..........
08-25-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
Crohn's chic

My Support Groups:
I can totally relate to your pain. The stoma pastes I've used usally contain alcohol which will cause more pain to the raw/irritated area. My ostomy nurse has given me some dressing material to cover the irritated skin which helps a lot. I too, do the "crusting" method with the stoma powder/skin barrier. I find the dressing material promotes healing and relieves a lot of the pain.
08-26-2013, 12:25 AM   #3
annawato

My Support Groups:
Hi crohns chic,Do you know what the dressing material is called? How do you apply it on that little bit around the stoma? Or is your irritation more widespread?
08-26-2013, 12:37 AM   #4
Crohn's chic

My Support Groups:
It's called hydrofera blue. It's a bacteriostatic ostomy dressing. It comes circular so I cut it in half. Once it's cut, you wet it and squeeze off the excess water. I place it right under my stoma where my skin is badly irritated. You don't need to use the "crusting" method when using this dressing either. Not only does it promote healing for your skin, but really helps with the painful output too.
08-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #5
annawato

My Support Groups:
Thankyou. Do you find you have trouble sticking the flange to it cos its wet or do you cut the flange larger to allow for it? Or is it like paste and the flange jsut sticks?
08-26-2013, 01:11 AM   #6
Crohn's chic

My Support Groups:
I had no problem with the flange sticking to it. You don't need to cut your flange any bigger when using this dressing. Just put the flange directly over it. You'll be able to cut the dressing as small/ thin as needed to cover the area which will help too.
08-26-2013, 05:34 AM   #7
hainman

My Support Groups:
I have this too,basically the stoma nurse said to me it was the poo burning my skin as a result of me cutting my bags flange to big,so she said to keep it very tight to the stoma and the adhesive on the bags wont affect the skin as they use a skin friendly barrier thats used in wound healing,so far ive changed 2 bags cut very tight and no burning or stinging,
08-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
I don't think you should accept it as normal, Anna. I know you've suffered like that for a while. I've had great success with Brava paste strips that you mold around the stoma rather than using traditional paste from a tube. The regular paste just burned me more and never stayed for more than a day before it seemed to disappear. I hope you will find something soon that will fix your situation.

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
08-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
DMac

Hi annawato

You shouldn't have to endure the burning around the stoma. I too used paste for a short while when I first had my stoma and I found it to be rather useless. I tried a number of products subsequently, but found them to be too finicky or just not fixing the problem. Salts do a fantastic product called Dermacol Rings/collars. I can honestly say that I have never experienced so much as a leak whilst using them. The ring/collar has a raised part that fits snugly around your stoma (they come in different sizes) and it prevents any leakage from seeping through.

I would absolutely encourage you to get hold of that product, because I believe it will immediately stop the leakage and burning. And no, I don't work for Salts I just appreciate the product. Wouldn't think of ever putting on the bag without one. All the best.
08-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
Ang71

My Support Groups:

I'm still in hospital been here two weeks now and they still haven't got anything to work for me.. Every stoma bag they have tried leaks! Now I have all the red soreness around my stoma and where ever the poop runs.. I'm going to as my stomal nurse about the hydrofera blue, I have not been offered that as yet., they just keep putting the sudocream, powder and barrier spray.. The photo I have supplied is from two days ago.. I am open to any advice.. I have a Iliostomay..
08-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #11
Crohn's chic

My Support Groups:
Hi Ang71. Wow! I look at your poor stoma and mine starts to hurt for you. When I had my ileostomy surgery in May, it looked simular to your pic put not quite as bad. I ended up in the hospital for 17 days because they couldn't contain my leakage and it started causing issues with my incision line. They almost had to apply a wound vac to my incision, but luckily they didn't need to. Defiantly ask your nurse about the dressing I mentioned above, but my nurse used it when the irritated area was a lot smaller than yours. I know exactly how you must feel and I'm sure at this point you'll try anything. I sure hope you're getting some good pain meds while youre there because I know how painful it is. Good luck with everything and you're in my thoughts.
08-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #12
Ang71

My Support Groups:
They have me hooked up to suction now.. So no poop stays In the bag and leaks I'm still freaking out cause this was done yesterday and it still leaked! But fingers crossed this one works.. So until they find something that works I'm hooked to suction lol..
10-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I also have raw red skin around stoma and some grey patches. I tried stomahesive powder and barriers to no avail.

I now put on boudreaux's butt paste (extra strength) which is 40% zinc oxide. Most diaper rash ointments are less than 20%. I am hoping this will clear it up. The wafer had a bit if trouble sticking but I tried to put a little and taped down the border. I'm on day 3 with this experiment with no leak yet.
10-29-2013, 03:47 AM   #14
Ang71

My Support Groups:
I used curash baby rash powder it worked in 2 days all redness gone I also sat out in the sun for 5 min each day.. I swear by it...
Before

After
10-29-2013, 04:47 AM   #15
Samboi

My Support Groups:
Oh wow. That looks very painful.
My scar has a very distinct mark where my skin was burnt regularly by output at the bottom of the loop.
I used flexible barrier rings, but the output burnt through it after a day or two.
Trying Vedoluzimab - running out of options
Neupogen
10-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #16
Ang71

My Support Groups:
The before pic was when I got home from hospital it was a lot worse than that while I was in hospital the stomal nurse & doc's couldn't find anything to help heal it, then I get home and use the powder & in two days I fix it. Wish I thought about the powder when I was in hospital would of saved myself from having a mths worth of pain...
I'm using an oval barrier ring, stomahesive paste & paste strips also the curash powder and using the barrier spray on top of that & a belt. I get 2-3 days out of my bag now sure beats 1 day...
10-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #17
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
wooHOO!! So glad things are getting better for you!!!
10-31-2013, 02:59 AM   #18
Ang71

My Support Groups:
Thank you 😀 never though i would ever get a bag to stay on but I got there in the end now just have to wait for my reversal!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Irritation around stoma.