• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just started Humira today!

Hi everyone: After trying prednisone and being on Imuran for the past three months with no change to my Crohn's, I finally started Humira today. I had my 4 loading injections today. The nurse did the first two and I did the second two. I almost passed out after the second injection--felt very light headed and nauseous. The nurse told me that was a common occurrence. I laid down for a bit and she suggested perhaps I go home and do the other two myself later in the day at home, but I was determined to have it all done this morning. Waited until I was feeling much better (about 30 minutes) and then did the last two myself. It was actually less painful when I did it myself and had no reaction at all. I have a bit of a hive where the first injection went in but not at the other three at all. I was so apprehensive about the shots in the first place I'm just really glad I got them all done today! Now I will just wait and see if this will start to help me in the next couple of months!

Well done, welcome to the club!!

I got really stressed about doing the jabs, but really I made a meal out of it, it really isn't that bad, just goes against the grain - injecting yourself!!
If it was a pill it would be so easy, and you wouldn't worry so much.

I've been on Humira for a couple of months now, and I think it may be working. I failed with the Remicade, had an allergic reaction.
Just keep an eye on your injection sites. I have had reactions there, and now take antihistamines before, and ice any inflammation.

My Dr is adding in Azathioprine to the mix, so hopefully it will all work and heal my fistula.

Well done again, it does get easier, just set some time aside and take your time x

The anxiety is worse than the actual shots.

You'll will get used to it. Give the injections some time to kick in.

Best of Luck!!

Today was my second set of injections (2 loading doses). It still hurt a bit, but not nearly as bad as last time. Haven't had any improvement yet in my Crohn's symptoms, but I know it can take up to 12 weeks to start working. After these 2 sets of loading doses, the biweekly injection won't be too difficult!