• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Entocort

My doc just put me on entorcort 3x's daily is this a long term treatment like remicade? I've been on it for about 4 days and I can already tell a positive difference in the way I feel I just don't wanna have to come off it in a few weeks and be right back to feeling bad

valleysangel92

Staff member
Entocort is a mild steroid, it has the benefits of being safer and better tolerated than prednisilone which has a large amount of side effects, but many find it doesn't have the same control over their condition. Steroids aren't really a long term treatment option so your doctor may put you onto something else as a long term treatment option.

nogutsnoglory

Entorcort

Steroids like Entocort are a bridge (temp) therapy to improve symptoms short term till your maintenance medication kicks in. You need to discuss a long term treatment with your doctor. Steroids cannot be taken long term because of the host of side effects such as damage to the bones and other parts of the body. Entocort has been approved for use up to 8 weeks (http://ibdcrohns.about.com/cs/prescriptiondrugs/a/entocortfaq.htm)

I'm happy you are feeling relief and hope you find a good long term therapy.

What's the best way to take entocort I have to take it 3x's daily I've been spacing them out but I heard its recommended to take all three pills first thing the morning?

I also have to take flagyl 3 x's a day and prilosec once a day and vitamins in there somewhere too so I'm just trying to figure out the best way to take all these meds it's getting crazy!! Lol

valleysangel92

Staff member
I was always told to take the entocort in the morning when I get up and to take the whole dose together. I was told the same with prednisilone

Thanks ill start taking it that way tomorrow it's hard to space all these pills out they got me on so many now. If can take those three together in the morning that would really help. Thanks for the reply uve been a really big help these last couple days I really appreciate it!! I'm just kinda afraid the affects of the anti inflammatory well wear off if I take them all in the morning? My worst times are at work about mid day. What kind of vitamins r u on?

valleysangel92

Staff member
No it won't wear off, it builds up in your body over a few weeks and then you just keep taking it to keep it stable, that's why you shouldn't just stop taking them without tapering.

I'm not taking any vitamins at the moment, all my levels seem ok (except maybe iron, getting that rechecked soon) . I was taking a multivitamin with everything in it twice a day when I was first diagnosed. You can get them in supermarkets. I had them on prescription though because I can't have any with calcium in

My doc prescribed me d3 and some kinda magnessium vitamin that putsch up to 9 pills a day I'm just having a hardtime figuring out when to take everything I like the idea of all three steriods in the morning I wonder about the flagyl I'm taking its a antibiotic I wonder if I can take those together?

valleysangel92

Staff member
I was on IV antibiotics in the hospital when I was on prednisilone and it didn't cause any problems, but if your in doubt it won't hurt just to give your IBD nurse a call and double check. Generally the leaflet that comes with the medications will have a list of any medications that you should avoid while on them.

I would probably take the steroids in the morning, the vitamins in the middle of the day then the prilosec in the evening with an antibiotic with each.

That sounds like a good plan to me I'm gonna get on that schedule tomorrow and see how it works out I've only been on entocort for 5 days its been working for me but for some reason it's almost like I'm having a down day today? Is that normal to have ups a down with this med? When I was on remicade I was good tell the next treatment maybe I haven't given it enough time to build up in my syst yet? Who knows thank you again!!

valleysangel92

Staff member
Yeah it's normal to have up days and down days, I was told entocort can take a few weeks to have its full effect so just keep trying with it

valleysangel92

Staff member
Yeah I was on it a few months. It worked ok but every time I tried to come off it I flared again . I had surgery because my doctors decided that meds weren't going to be enough for me.

Ive been on budesonide for at least 3 months. Ive been told I have inflamed colon wall discovered during colonoscopy. Ive been paying $25 month for med but in Nov have to go on Medicare and even with high option medical coverage will cost $400 month. I cant afford that. Not sure what to do