• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fecal calprotein high in my seven year old need to quizz folk if no one minds?

Hi ,
I have had UC for over 15 years and arthritis in my spine for 3 yrs.
this is not about me though , I am under control ish but general don't have I me to think about my ails, I really need advice nd thoughts or my seven year old daughter. G is the second child and has an older sibling 10 , another sister 4 and a brother 3 all from same gene poole .
G has been ill for many years , started itch acte tonsillitis followed by glandular fever. Always had the odd tummy problem nd always aching knees.
We are under Gt Ormond St Hospital Rhemotology department as local hospital referred as pediatrician suspected Vasculitis .
Bloods really show nothing exciting.
Symptoms
Mouth ulcers
Aching knee and ankle joints - sometimes lead to onset of agonising pain that lasts got ten minutes to five plus hours?
Eye sight over night became blurred and the muscle in one eye stopped working with the other, on second pair of specs . She had a severe headache and then this happened.
She has rashes that appear and nodules left behind at sight of pain.
Now we have had a lot of test and where in hospital on the 22 July where a stool sample was taken . Get to that in a mo.
consultant mentioned she thought it could be Bechets - a very rare vasculitis .
On the 9 th August her bowel stopped working . Saw GP - movical. Nothing ! Stabbing pains and really ill, didn't eat , move , just was in agony . Took to hospital and they gave morphin for pain and tried an enema , didn't work. Then she was put on 12 sachets of movical . Four days later I had to manual remove blockage . She felt sick , hot etc.
we have been waiting for bone marrow and mouth ulcer biopsies to be done, when last week I got an email telling me her fecal calprotein was high and that she would see what gastro thought. Within a day I recieved a call and she is now having endoscopy , colonoscopy and bone plus ulcers together.
I am really behind the times and had never heard of this test ? Checked it out and suddenly felt like CROHNs was hitting me in the face. I know a lot about my illness but not much about this evil?
Could it be , do you get agonising pain in varies joints body parts.
Please if you have any thoughts let me know , grateful for any info x

Do you know what her fecal calprotectin level was? It can be high from other things besides Crohn's, is she treated with NSAIDs for her joint pain?

The association between NSAID use and high fecal calprotectin concentrations has been reported previously (25)(26)(27), and although another study has shown conflicting data (4), we suggest that NSAID use should be discontinued some weeks before FC is assayed to assure higher specificity
source

Joint pain can definitely be an EIM(extra intestinal manifestation of CD) and fall into several categories of dx(either running concurrently with active disease for some arthralgias and independent of active Crohn's disease with others)

My son does experience joint pain with his CD flares and it affects his knees most often but has affected his hips and ankles as well. He was once hospitalized due to the severity of his joint pain and lack of a bowel movement for a week. The lack of bowel movement was due to a med he was taking for a cough but the joint pain was related to his CD.

There are also EIM's of the eyes related to Crohn's Disease. Some that come to mind are episcleritis, scleritis, Uveitis, and another that deals with the retna. If you use our search box and the key words EIMs you should find some threads that will give you more information on all of the extra intestinal manifestations of Crohn's Disease.

I hope you find some answers quickly!

Thankyou , no I took of NADS as didn't help so just on regular mess and cosine for when really bad.
I don't know the level but from experience with hospital they never say high unless really high.
That's interesting you say bout knees as G always has acute pain in right knee.
All so confusing , looking forward to a dif diagnosis.
I wish you your family and son well x

Catherine

From what I read a high reading is a reason for moving forward with gi testing more quickly.

Hopefully you will find answers quickly.

Have a look a the parents forum.