• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Having awful cramps right now what can I do!!

Help I'm having awful abdominal cramps right now this is very rare for me its been a long time since I've had cramps this bad what can I do to ease this without going to the er!!!

valleysangel92

Staff member
Do you have any other symptoms?

I use heat if I have cramps, either a heat patch or a wheat bag popped in the microwave.

If this doesn't work peppermint or ginger can be very soothing

No just severe cramps above my belly button and below its coming in waves not a steady cramp like its coming and going? Does that sound normal its been years since I've experienced cramps like this!'

valleysangel92

Staff member
Keep an eye on it, don't ignore it if it gets worse or you begin to vomit or you have trouble passing stools.

Pain is never 'normal' it is a sign that something is wrong.. Have you eaten anything different or changed medications or anything like that?

This past weeks I've learned to take cramps seriously. Don't wait too much, mine was internal fistulas and abscesses. Ended losing 40 cm of small intestin and 40 cm colon.

The only thing I ate different today was a banana and some apples? I asked my parents and they seem to think the pain is typicale of gallbladder problems?

But anything like this I normally write off to Crohn's but this is pretty bad! I'm afraid if I go to the er ill be there all night and they want figure anything out. Just to add this I'm 2 days off of a 10 day course of flagyl maybe this has something to do with that?

valleysangel92

Staff member
Sometimes things will be crohns related

But this isn't always the case and the unfortunate thing is that when we have a chronic illness there is a tendency for every symptom we experience to be attributed to that even though it may not be the case. I understand the reluctance to go to the er but whether this is crohns, gallbladder or something else it shouldn't be left to its own devices. If you choose not to get help tonight, at least keep an eye on your symptoms and act if things get worse.

Thanks guys I'm waiting on results from a ct scan but my blood work seemed ok elevated white blood cells but that's normal with Crohn's

Ok here's the deal after getting my blood work done my urine tested and a ct scan they determined it was inflamation due to Crohn's which is crazy to me I've never had cramps like that before the pain was unreal!!! Anyways they gave me steriods and put me back on flagyl and put me on a 3 day liquid only diet. I'm guessing the entocort isn't going to work for me or maybe I haven't given it enough time? Who knows ill calls gi amd see what he wants to do about it. Thanks for the prayers and well wishes guys!! Oh yeah no obstructions just inflamation so that's good!!

valleysangel92

Staff member
So glad there isnt an obstruction! I've had some pretty severe cramps before, double-you-up kinda pain. My GI said that it's common with inflammation since the food has to fight its way through more, causing more forceful contractions of the intestines.

Entocort takes anything from 2-6 weeks to have a full effect so it may just be too early for it to have had any major impact yet.

That's what I'm hoping I'm feeling better today just really weak I still don't understand if I have Crohn's in my large intestines why does my small bowels inflate as well? But it's always been that way for me. Still unreal the pain I was in I've never experienced anything that intense before everything hurts on me this morning like I was in a fight or something. Thanks for the support you guys r awesome!!

Well after reviewing my ct scan my dr order a upper gi series and may I add that drink was awful!!! But the doc said he want have the results tell Monday??? Hopefully if it was something serious they wouldn't wait that long!!! Yet again something to worry about I'm so tired of this and so is everyone around me I know I bugging the piss out of them!!

valleysangel92

Staff member
Well after reviewing my ct scan my dr order a upper gi series and may I add that drink was awful!!! But the doc said he want have the results tell Monday??? Hopefully if it was something serious they wouldn't wait that long!!! Yet again something to worry about I'm so tired of this and so is everyone around me I know I bugging the piss out of them!!
Try not to worry so much about it, those tests are fairly routine and if there was anything major you'd be told sooner, don't panic, it's not good for this is illness.

Also my stomach pain has went from cramping really bad to vibrating? Lol I guess like its struggling to digest my food and bellow my belly button feels really bloated and I just feel yucky all over hopefully my doc can stop this before it gets out of control I can't afford anymore time off of work!! And thanks again for listening to me complain u guys r a big support!!

afidz

Super Moderator
SOrry to hear you aren't feeling well
The cramps do sound typical of Crohn's. How long have you been on Entocourt? (sorry if you said it above and I missed it)
Like Valleysangel already said, heat helps me. I will put a heating pad on my stomach or go sit in a hot bath.
Another thing that MAY help, if you can get a hold of your GI tomorrow, ask him for an antispasmodic med. (Bentyl works for me) it reduces the cramping. I have heard this doesn't work for everyone but it does work for me.
Hope you get answers soon and feel better

I know this may sound crazy, but I'm gonna throw it out there because it really has worked for me... I have an inversion table, I lay upside down for about 5-10 min and it feels like it unclogs whatever was clogged. You just have to be very careful, I wouldn't invert completely and have someone there to help you. (( And just as a warning, some people have increased blood pressure and can be at risk for passing out or stroke))
Has anyone else ever tried this?? I sort of think it might kinda do what the ng tube does, sort of decompress the area and then allow stuff to move through again.
Again, I know it sounds crazy, but I know it has worked for me.

I've been on entocort for around 4 weeks. I've stopped cramping now I'm just nauseous and have lil to no appitite with sinus problems and ear congestion? I basically just feel sick all the time now is this normal of a Crohn's flare? Also I can't get rid of this indigestion?

afidz

Super Moderator
The sinus and ear problems might be allergies, I always go through this when the seasons start to change.
But the indigestion is normal (that doesn't make it acceptable). Again, your GI might be able to prescribe something for that or give you a suggestion as to what you can do.

Yeah cause the indigestion was the first thing the tech saw I'm on prilosec 40mg a day I don't get the standard heartburn anymore just back wash with no heat a lot of mucus in throat and chest discomfort from time to time not a real big issue just bothersome

And it's driving me crazy that I haven't heard from my doc yet about my upper gi series!! I'm a worrier and nothing's worse to a worrier than waiting!! I just keep telling my self if it was serious they wouldn't wait tell Monday to tell me atleast that's what my wife is saying I mean if it was to serious the test they ran on me at the er would have picked it up I would think? Geez I gotta stop this dang worrying ahhhhhh!!

valleysangel92

Staff member
You do need to stop worrying, I understand it's difficult but a few days isn't that long really, if you keep getting worked up like this you are going to make yourself ill and you'll end up back at the ER. Please try to relax, do something to distract yourself and remember that these tests are routine, they are done all the time. If it was serious you would of been kept in hospital in the first place

valleysangel92

Staff member
Would you like to inbox me so that you can talk through your worries and get them out of your system rather than being worked up?