• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Puffy cheeks

Hey guys I'm sure many can relate

I used to have amazing skin and jawline curve (was a amateur model) then after predisolone I have got these pimple scab things which are reseeding however my puffy cheeks are not my last dose of pred was 50mg 2day then 35mg2days then 25mg2days then 15mg2days then 5mg2days and I am so angry that I have been off for 2 weeks and my cheeks arnt returning back to normal any help?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Try reducing your salt intake (any soda or salty snacks) and see if that helps at all. Prednisone makes you retain water so hopefully the puffiness will go down soon. That was a pretty short course of steroids so it shouldn't be too bad. I actually didn't notice any of the face puffiness until I had been on it for a few weeks to a month+ at 50mg. Hopefully your skin clears up soon as well. :)

My puffed up face went back to normal very fast, just a few days I think - so I'm not sure if it helps you to know that or not! It will go down though.

Unless, did you gain a lot of weight when on prednisolone? It can increase appetite so a lot of people gain on it. If you have put on some weight, it might be that your face has got a little fuller unrelated to puffiness from retained water. In which case if your appetite goes back to normal your face should also return to normal as you lose the weight, but that kind of weight would take longer to go than puffiness.

It took my sons face about 2 weeks to return to normal.

My son gained a lot of weight too, but he needed it. I would say about 3 lbs of it was just water weight which went away in that 2 week time period as well.

I think we all have a love/hate relationship with Pred!