Share Facebook

03-26-2009, 03:55 AM   #1
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
Orthodontic treatment

I've read the recent threads on mouth ulcers... but I don't want to hijack anything, so I've set up a new thread
This is something I'm genuinely undecided on, so I might as well get some opinions from you lot

At the age of 53 (doesn't time fly) I've been thinking of getting some teeth straightened.. just a couple of teeth at the front on my bottom jaw... not very noticeably, but as I've recently had a tooth extracted, there's now room for the remaining teeth to spread out a bit

The questions are: although I've not suffered badly with mouth ulcers, I have had them from time to time... not sure how having my teeth wired up will affect this. The bad news, the dentist has said I'll also have to have my top teeth wired, to make sure my "bite" works properly... so it'll be the full "Jaws" effect

I'm also not sure if I can really put up with this... it should be OK on my good days, but I don't know if I can deal with it on my bad days (like today, in fact). Ten years ago, I would have had it done, no question, but I'm not sure if I've got the energy now. What I really don't want is to pay out a load of money and have it done, and then have to have the braces removed after a month due to repeated mouth ulcers, or just due to the fact I feel cr*p

On the other hand... if I don't have it done, I'm now going to a new dentist who is big on preventative care and hygeine and stuff (for those in the UK, that'll be a private dentist, as I've discovered they're hardly more expensive than an NHS dentist). And I've recently cut down hugely on my intake of tea... which means I'll have gleamy white teeth anyway

May sound like I've already decided not to have the work done, but I'd still like it... I should have had it sorted when I was a kid, but didn't

Cheers everyone
Thanks for your time
03-26-2009, 05:10 AM   #2

hey Steve, talk about coincidence lol

i've just come back from my dentist (yet again), & while waiting i was reading a leaflet on invisible tooth straightening.. it's called Invisalign. apparently it's pretty painless, no wires, no allergy to metal issues. i don't know how much it costs in comparison to traditional braces, but it might be worth looking into.

good luck!
03-26-2009, 06:33 AM   #3
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!

When I was little, they had wax that you roll in a ball and could put over the braces if they were rubbing your skin. That helped a bit.
03-26-2009, 06:49 AM   #4
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
Thanks for the replies

MBH: I think if there's any chance it might rub my skin it may put me off before I even get as far as needing the wax. I had a sharp bit of tooth following a filling, and until I had it filed down again I was getting constant mouth ulcers in that spot

Ding: My new dentist has mentioned Invisalign... in theory it seems ideal. It will cost an extra 1,000 (gulp), but she has said it works best on teeth that don't need too much straightening, and I'm just about on the limit, so it may not work.
03-26-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
Hi Pen. This shouldn't be as bad as you described. The top brace and the "bite" bit was purely to make room for the adjustment of the bottom teeth. Really quite undecided about the whole thing, but I am beginning to go against the idea.
I've used "Bonjella", which must be similar the Ora Gel on mouth ulcers, and it usually cleasr up mouth ulcers really fast... before they appear if you go with the warning signs and slap it on quickly
I have known people who have had to go with the "having your jaw moved" option... sounds horrendous
03-27-2009, 03:49 AM   #6
RafHam

Hi Agent

I had braces a few years ago at the same time that I suffered from mouth ulcers. The wax that MBH mentioned is very useful for those. I found it more annoying than anything but I got used to it. It sounds like the ulcers aren't too bad so I would definitely go with it if it it's something that you'd like to do. Re the invisalign (sp?), I looked into them and I was told that they are only appropriate for minor adjustments.
03-27-2009, 03:58 AM   #7
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
Cheers RafHam. What you say about the invisalign fits in with what I was told... shame! It's "make you mind up time" on Monday... now I'm tending towards having it done!
03-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
NatalieMT

I had Invisalign treatment, it only took 32 weeks so you can imagine that it was only to fix minor problems, I only had my upper arch done as well. Total cost was near enough 3000. It wasn't painless though, each of the trays were tight to begin with and my teeth did ache for a while whilst they adjusted. So it wasn't without pain, put it that way. But my mouth wasn't rubbed or gums/tissue aggravated in anyway. Apart from if I didn't wear the trays for say a night out, because in order to keep the trays on in the correct position, they do fix tiny blocks to a couple of the teeth. Trust me it felt like sharp bits of coral poking me! I was offered a bonded retainer afterwards but opted just to wear the non fixed appliance at night.

I'm glad I went through with treatment though because my teeth were always an aspect of my appearance I was never happy with.
03-28-2009, 06:52 AM   #9
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
NatalieMT said:
I'm glad I went through with treatment though because my teeth were always an aspect of my appearance I was never happy with.
Think that's the important point really. I've decided to see the orthodontist, and unless he/she comes up with something really awful... like Pen-style jaw surgery, I'll probably have it done. Surely it can't be worse than prep followed by colonoscopy or barium enema (although it does go on longer!)
10-06-2009, 05:29 AM   #10
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
Heh! heh! Brought this thread back from the dead!
It got delayed a while due to me feeling a bit unwell (surprise! surprise!) but I had this done yesterday. Now I've got my jaw full of ironmongery and I look like a Cenobyte. Everyone tells me that after 48 hours something miraculous happens and you feel normal again... waiting for that to happen, then maybe I can eat something instead of spreading it all over the place.

Interesting what you subject yourself to in the name of vanity, but it's nice to feel well enough to be vain!

... I wonder what happened to Pen's post... has she expunged herself from history?
10-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #11
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
It's relatively minor stuff... the guy was complaining that he hadn't had anything "challenging" all day... I said that was OK by me!
Just got some metal tabs glued onto my bottom row of teeth, and then got it all wired up. Thought I was doing fine until I had to eat my lunch today... it was like chewing on broken glass, and the teeth at the back, where the wires are "anchored", hurt like hell.
The wax works really well, but it just gets ingested when I try to eat anything.
I've heard of other people having the broken jaw treatment... not sure if I'd put up with that... I'd just have to remain ugly but interesting!
10-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #12
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
Congratulations Agent X, I am the proud parent of a tween in braces. Most treatments she has, leave her with very little pain. Some months are worse than others but it usually only takes 48 hours for her to feel like new again. Tylenol usually does the trick.
If you can suffer through Crohn's you will come through this with a shining beautiful smile!
10-07-2009, 02:30 AM   #13
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
Hi IMP
Can't help feeling that if you can put up with crohns this should be a piece of cake (mmm... cake!)
The feeling that my mouth is stuffed with razor wire has passed. I reach the magic 48 hours late this afternoon... it's 8.30 in the morning here. Can't wait!
10-07-2009, 09:41 PM   #14
Wiles

There was a point where braces were being considered for me when I was a teen but my doctor told me I shouldn't because of my Crohn's. Let us know how it works out, I'm a little self conscious about teeth and am interested in getting them done someday.
10-08-2009, 02:37 AM   #15
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
Hi Wiles
I was worried about the crohns... because of the possibility of mouth ulcers and also because I didn't want an added complication on the days when I was feeling crap. But so far so good (after three days)
If you're thinking about it I think you should just get an assessment and see what is involved. Mine turned out to be quite simple and only involved the lower front teeth... should take about ten months I'm told. If it was complicated I might not have done it... but you need the information to make a decision. The desire to improve self-confidence is pretty motivating
I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheers
05-11-2016, 11:36 PM   #16
daviesmith

When I was little,I go to Davie Braces and they had wax that you roll in a ball and could put over the braces if they were rubbing your skin. That helped a bit.