• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Undiagnosed but scared

Hi all :banana: I'm Athena and I don't have a diagnosis yet but I am confused and scared and :confused2:

first, my dad was diagnosed with Crohn's when I was a baby, so I have seen it most of my life. 3 years ago he was diagnosed with colorectal cancer and that resection left him with an ostomy so Crohn's and IBD terrifies me.

I have had bowel issues my entire life, and when I was 21 (26 now) went to a GI who told me that it was irritable bowel and I needed to just get over it and learn to live with it. The following year I saw another GI who wanted to do a colonoscopy but I had fissures so I had to wait until those healed and because of what I had been told before and when the fissures healed I was feeling a lot better, so I was like, who need a colonoscopy? Hah, NOT ME! But recently my bowel issues have been taken to the next level and have changed from what they were 5 years ago.

Since about June, I have had diarrhea almost constantly, which even taking multiple Imodium doesn't really help. I get bad abdominal pain and cramping; last weekend my abdomen was so tender I couldn't lie on my stomach and I am a stomach sleeper so that was fun. I also get heartburn so bad that even water burns going down. I will get sore throats from the reflux, and this week I have had this one spot in my chest that when anything passes by it the pain is so bad I want to cry. Some OTC meds relieve the severity temporarily, but it is so little relief it really doesn't make a difference. I have been getting sores in my mouth, and they have been occurring more frequently, making eating painful even when the other stuff isn't going on. I have been living on Ensure lately because it is the only thing that doesn't really bother me because I have no appetite all the time and am nauseous most of the time. I have lost 10 pounds in the last month, have anal skin tags (diagnosed by my last primary and the last GI I went to...five years ago) that make even the good days where I am only in the bathroom four or five times irritating at best. I get the sensation when I go to the bathroom that I am not fully emptying (and often, am not). I will go from being okay temperature wise while I am in my apartment to having to put three layers of clothes on and get back into bed while still having chills (and I live in Texas...it's not exactly cold here, especially right now) but other nights I wake up drenched in sweat in the middle of the night when the temperature in my apartment is 70 degrees. I don't know why it didn't occur to me until a few days ago to check my temperature but it didn't and I have consistently been running a fever of 99 to 101 (sometimes a little higher, but not often) while I am not otherwise sick. I am also constantly fatigued; I come home from work and am in bed by 6 or 7 pm and have been sleeping through my alarm and am still tired.

I have a GI appointment in two weeks. I can't go any sooner because new job and it isn't like they know or care how sick I am. I am far away from all my family and I am scared, so that is mostly why I am posting here without a diagnosis. :ybatty:

Last edited:

nogutsnoglory

Hopefully it isn't IBD and something that can be easily fixed but the best thing is to be in the know. With knowledge of the issue you can tackle it with the right treatment.