• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to site. questions about stricture and meds

Hello,
My name is Marg and I have been newly diagnosed with Crohns and have a couple of questions to anyone who can offer some insight. I saw a gastroenterologist seven years ago and he said that I might have UC as I was having some symptoms of bloating, gas and abdo pain. He put me on prednisone for a couple of months and it seemed to help. After that I just dealt with a few of the symptoms and went on living my life. There never was a real diagnose due to his operative report from my colonoscopy. I had another colonoscopy in 2009 and he said everything looked fine. I have been on no meds whatsoever. Recently, I had a blood test that showed severe anemia which then led to a stool test which indicated fecal blood. I had another colonoscopy this time but with a different gastroenterologist as my previous one retired. The doctor mentioned I have a 10cm stricture in my transverse colon. He has started me on a 2 month dose of prednisone and told me I needed to decide on either Imuran or Methotrexate. I am so scared about going on either one of these as I read all the possible side effects. I don't know what to do and I have nobody to talk to about this and that is why I decided to join this forum. Are there any other options for me? I am so scared and don't want to have an ostomy bag. Is there any one who has had a resection on the transverse colon and not needed an ostomy bag. Will these meds just treat my symptoms and not repair the damage. I am so frustrated as I and my gastroenterologist feel I slipped through the cracks.
Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks so much in advance.

Hi Marg :) my name is Keagan, 23 year old guy with Crohns for about 23 years lol. I too have strictures in my transverse colon, I was on remicade for about six months and i started to reject it. It's actually a really long story, but to help with your question, they basically will only mask the problem and help in slowing progression. Surgery is the only option as far as I know that can take it away. Hopefully I will be having mine soon

If the stricture is due to an inflammation then the meds that were suggested can work to eliminate the inflammation and prevent scarring/permanent damage. If the stricture is scar tissue instead of inflammation then there is no med that can reverse the damage of scar tissue and surgery may be a needed at some point. The presence of a stricture doesn't necessarily imply immediate surgery, the GI should do testing to determine if the stricture is from inflammation or scar tissue or both.