Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Mucus discharge soiling underwear

09-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Mucus discharge soiling underwear

I read that some mucus from the butt is normal even with an ostomy because the body doesn't know the but isn't being used.

I seem to have quite a bit of mucus discharge that is making my underwear wet. Does anyone else have this or might it just be normal in the beginning?
09-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
BowelMeOver

My husband is currently wearing a sanitary pad to keep his boxers dry. He wonders when the humiliation will end.

Unfortunately, these mucos drippings are not only common, but are to be looked at in a positive light, as it means everything back there is working as it should. It's near impossible to think of it as something good, but the right frame of mind can make it a little less daunting.

I hope everything else is settling in nicely.
Contrast enema + flex scope 11-18-2013 = approved for reversal!
Reversal scheduled for December 19th. Egads!

Sometimes hope is the best medicine. Don't give up!
09-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
Mountaingem
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I read that some mucus from the butt is normal even with an ostomy because the body doesn't know the but isn't being used.

I seem to have quite a bit of mucus discharge that is making my underwear wet. Does anyone else have this or might it just be normal in the beginning?
Noguts, if I could I would just grab and hug you! You have been going through so much

I've had a similar problem, it is normal in the beginning but in small amounts. You need to let your GI know about it, it might be an infection or another flare. I'm sorry you are suffering, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

I WILL STAY STRONG
I WILL FIGHT
I WILL WIN

Current Meds: Cimzia, Methotrexate, Prevacid, Sertraline, Nortryptaline, Prednisone, Atenelol
09-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
Nyx

My Support Groups:
I have mucous back there all the time and my stoma is almost 4 years old. I just wear a pad all the time and that seems to do the trick.

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

09-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
Jimena

My Support Groups:
Am i weird cos i haven't pass mucus not even once since my operation (2 months ago)? I do have mucus and bloody mucus coming out of my loop-colostomys "the other" hole though. But not from my bum.
Colon removal and ileostomy 2015 -> So far so good

And after every stoma surgery, nasty Pyoderma Gangrenosum around my stoma.
09-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Aw mountain thank you!

I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one. With all the abscess discharge this summer I was afraid this might be a sign that's still active or new ones formed.
09-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
I pass mucus several times a day, but it never leaks out. I have good sphincter control. Kegel exercises can help unless there is something else going on.

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
09-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
PsychoJane

My Support Groups:
I pass mucus few times a day, I guess anytime I go pee. If I accumulate it over time I am subject to accidents (I notice the difference when I'm on the road and using public toilet... the fact I give the priority to "squatting-pee" lol, makes it that I don't "drain" myself often enough and it can leaks). I did not have perianal disease prior to my surgery so I am guessing that this could make it a bit harder at the beginning. I was also advised to do some kegel exercises to keep all the muscles in shape when I got the surgery.

Currently taking: Omega-3, D-3, med-free for the time being.
~~Oh! n sorry if what I write seems strange at times, English is not my main language!~~

You'd like to chat and feel facebook would ease this point,
send me a private message and i'll do so =)
09-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I have a seton in there so not sure I can do legal exercises or if it's wise.

Right now just wearing pads to catch any mucus or residual post surgery junk.
09-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
valleysangel92

My Support Groups:
Ngng I'm sorry I can't help with this but I really just wanted to send you support, I've seen you've had a rough time lately and just wanted to let you know your in my thoughts. You've always been so kind to me and you are one of the people who inspired me to fight this thing. If you would like I will add you to my prayers. I am really hoping things turn around for you soon *hugs* .

Nicola
coeliac disease/Osteopenia /Crohns/Arthritis/
laperoscopic hemicolectomy 25/06/ 2013

Meds- Vedolizumab, sulfasalazine, Lansoprazole, Vitamin D, prochlorperazine, Oramorph, MST, B12 shots My journey with crohns: http://glutenfreecookiemonster.wordpress.com/

Allergic to - inflectra, aza

Non CD meds - Gabapentin, paracetamol, ventolin
09-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #11
annawato

My Support Groups:
I only have mucus once a month if that and its quite firm. I am a bit worried now I have a seton how i will pass it but I'm sure the body will figure it out.
For those of you who have daily mucus was your disease in the colon and/or rectum? I'm curious whether those who have TI disease pass as much mucus or whether its cos of medications I'm on to slow my gut. Ie its constipating my colon as well as slowing output.

you name it, i've tried and failed it! currently on- waiting to see whats new and reducing pred
temp. ileostomy reversed feb 2011, new ileostomy, nov 2012
4 resections plus removal of adhesions etc, recurrent intestinal abscesses
lyme disease, depression, sacroileitis, chronic pain and......Crohn's..........
09-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #12
Nyx

My Support Groups:
All of my disease is in the lower end of my system. Not sure if that's why I have more mucous or not. It doesn't bother me at all, and I seem to have no other problems so I'm not worrying about it.
09-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #13
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
My concern is there is some light poop brown and yellow tainted stuff with the mucus sometimes. I'm hoping it's not abscess.
09-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #14
annawato

My Support Groups:
My mucus can be poop stained. I think what happens is that when the bag gets overful at night with output and gas excess output gets pushed down into the colon. It doesn't always happen but when it has I know its cos I've had one of those overful nights.
Perhaps its old blood and pus draining from your seton? I had mine put in Monday and have had pus and blood come out of it. Not sure if this is normal - I just assumed that its doing what a seton is meant to do, draining pus from the abscess and fistula. Am I wrong thinking this? Should I be chasing up the doctor for antibiotics?
09-26-2013, 02:53 AM   #15
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
I only have mucus once a month if that and its quite firm. I am a bit worried now I have a seton how i will pass it but I'm sure the body will figure it out.
For those of you who have daily mucus was your disease in the colon and/or rectum? I'm curious whether those who have TI disease pass as much mucus or whether its cos of medications I'm on to slow my gut. Ie its constipating my colon as well as slowing output.
My disease was most severe at the tail end of the colon and rectum. However, since I've had all of that removed, I am assuming my mucus production is strictly due to the J-pouch I have (though not being used), which is all small intestine connected to just a few centimeters of rectum.
09-26-2013, 02:54 AM   #16
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
My mucus can be poop stained. I think what happens is that when the bag gets overful at night with output and gas excess output gets pushed down into the colon. It doesn't always happen but when it has I know its cos I've had one of those overful nights.
Perhaps its old blood and pus draining from your seton? I had mine put in Monday and have had pus and blood come out of it. Not sure if this is normal - I just assumed that its doing what a seton is meant to do, draining pus from the abscess and fistula. Am I wrong thinking this? Should I be chasing up the doctor for antibiotics?
I don't know a whole lot about it, but I do believe your theory is correct on all points.
09-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #17
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
But if the bowel is diverted I can't see it being pushed through the colon unless there was a perforation.
09-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #18
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
If you have a loop ileostomy, one end of your small intestine is still connected to the colon and it is possible for some output to get squeezed into that tiny bottom hole (or section) of the stoma.
09-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #19
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Ah ok I have a loop. So I can expect occasional poop I guess.
09-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #20
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Possibly. I've heard other people mention that it happened to them, though have never experienced it myself.

I've had mucus come up from the bottom end of the stoma, and when I had a barium enema, the contrast flowed up into my bag, but I've not experienced output of stool go through to the anus.
09-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #21
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
The bottom of the stoma? Yikes were you infected?

Since I have the loop, one produces poop and the other makes mucus or just watches the other stoma lol.
09-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #22
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
No infection, just mucus from the bottom portion that just sort of spills out from time to time. I tell ya, my intestines like to make a lot of mucus. My stoma nurse has commented that I have a very very wet stoma. If I don't wrap gauze around it when I do bag changes, sometimes it will drip from just the outside.
09-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #23
Nyx

My Support Groups:
@2thFairy...mine's the same. Very mucousy and wet.
09-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #24
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Glad I'm not the only one!!!!
09-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #25
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Same here. We should get swimsuits for our stomas.

Wet N' Stinky suckers.
09-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #26
annawato

My Support Groups:
I havent had mucus come out from the bottom end of the stoma into the stoma bag but I have had poop ooze out. It was a bloody nuisance as it just oozed under the baseplate as the colon opening is level with my skin. Hasn't happened often but when it did I had trouble changing the bag as I had poop coming out of two holes! Ones enough!
09-27-2013, 06:52 AM   #27
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Ugh... wow. Now that's a true bummer!
10-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #28
Crohnzie Girl

My Support Groups:
I still have mucous leaking out my bottom jus like it did befre my surgery. I jus spoke to my surgeon about this. I asked him why is this still happening bc I thought that I wouldn't have to worry bout this once I had the colostomy. And he said that my colon is still intact so I will always have mucous leaking back there. Where a pad so I don't ruin my undergarments....OR.....have another surgery AMD remove the rest of the colon and no more problem with leaking mucous. Well, my answer was, ok pad it is! Lol. But yes, my disease is all in the very end of the colon and rectum. So maybe my sphincter maybe completely damaged.

Colostomy since 2013 best thing for me!

Looking for support and sharing stories.
11-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #29
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Having just had ileostomy surgery, I remembered seeing this thread. A couple of days after my surgery, I passed a solid stool. The next couple of days, this bloody black mess. In the following days, I passed completely clear mucus, a few times a day. It would give me the same urge as if I needed to have a bowel movement, but required no straining (I used to have to strain a lot, even with diarrhoea), as soon as I sat on the toilet and relaxed my muscles, it would slip out.

The nurses, doctors and stoma nurse all told me this is all completely normal. The past four or five days, I've passed nothing from the back passage at all - it seems the mucus has stopped. It's such a huge relief knowing I'm never going to have to pass anything that way again!

The advice I was given, though, was that usually, mucus clears up after several weeks (it seems I've stopped passing it now, but I'm bearing in mind this might just be a temporary absence at the moment) - they said it almost always reduces to nothing or next to nothing. I'm guessing the type of ostomy you've had and where you have active disease still may be a feature though.
11-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #30
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
There will always be some discharge of dead skin cells coming in the form of mucus but I'm told it will slow down when the fistulas start closing.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Mucus discharge soiling underwear