• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Surgery Time

i will be having the ileostomy done pretty soon, i just have to call on monday and schedule a slot.

today we got down there and my GI looked at me for like 2 minutes and could see how bad i was, so we collectively saw no point in infusing tysabri today. i told him i was ready for surg, but not to remove my entire colon. he understands i believe, but would choose differently for me. but like we've said all along: not his choice.
he called up my surgeon right then and there and got me in to see him right away. today was the FASTEST they have ever done anything lol, usually it is a big waiting game. anyway, we saw the surgeon and he seems to support my decision more than the GI, he sees the big pic-that im only 19 and who knows what will happen. but, he still stressed the fact that a total colectomy would be more ideal, but a temp will work nonetheless.
he drew pictures on my belly (yay!) lol and outlined where the incision and such will be. then showed me some types of pouches. filled out pre-op forms. and done.

so were, pretty much all set, just have to see when my parents can be off work next week and everything.
i feel very confused right now. but almost excited. and its very weird to feel that way, but i am excited to not have to poop 437148713 times a day. i cant even imagine.

i will probs have a bunch of questions for the osotmy peeps on here, but ill search it up first and see if answers are already here.

whew.

I'm sorry you need surgery. I will be keeping you in my prayers for a safe surgery and a quick recovery. Hope you feel better soon. Keep us updated

Good Luck Kello, it is time for you to feel better. I never had a temp ostomy but had my share of surgery so I understand the feeling of excitement, it is almost like okay lets get it done and over with so you can really start living your life again.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Good Kello! You need to get a break here, and this is just the thing for you. Especially since it's reversable. I wish you the absolute best of luck! Keep us posted!!

best wishes for you kell, i can only hope your surgery gives you as much relief as i've had.

hugs
xx

Good luck Kello

I've had a temp, and though mine was an emergency one which was reversed, I can definitely see how much relief it can provide. Keep your head up and keep us informed.

Good luck kello, you will feel the benefit of your ostomy as soon as you come round from your op. I had a temp done in 98 it reversed itself in the space of 3 weeks and 2 weeks after that i had surgery again to tuck the stoma back inside,getting the ileostomy in the first place was the best thing that i ever done,it gives everything inside a chance to heal.If i can answer any questions or be of any help feel free to get in touch,but i think you'll find things getting alot better for you from here onwards,keep us posted on your progress and remember onwards and upwards we cant let the old crohn beat us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:voodoo: :tongue:

Kello
You seem to have a very good attitude to all of this, which already puts you 99% on the road to recovery, in my humble opinion. We're all sending best wishes and thinking about you (that should cover the other 1%)

Yay Kello!! I am so happy for you that you will soon be getting some relief! I'm sure everything will turn out all right and you will be feeling so much better soon. Keep us posted and good luck!

thanks for the love and encouragement everyone
i really really cant even explain how much it means right now. im like bawlin my eyes out! im so emotional right now i feel like im on pred.

ill update when ive got my surgery date. i hope its this week. been barfing and pooing up a storm :(

Sorry to hear you are feeling so rough. Hopefully the surgery will ease some of that for you. Good luck - I'm sure it will all go successfully and to plan. Thinking of you. Xxx

Good luck. I am sure you will be feeling better soon.

I became sad when I admitted myself to the hospital for my resection. I had the strange feeling like I was succumbing to defeat. As if crohn's had beat me, and now I was having to surrender and be "admitted." But seven days later I was allowed to leave the medical facility and in due time I returned to civilian life.

aw good luck with the op, Kello. i will be thinking of you - let us know when you have a definite date!

like has been said, i agree that it is now your time to feel better, to regain your quality of life - keep that positive attitude up hun, it is the right attitude. the Crohn's attacks you're suffering right now are soon to be a thing of the past :)

thanks to the rest of you guys for your replies too :)

well Tuesday April 7th is the day. about a week away
7 more days of pain and throwing up? ughh.

hey i dont have to do a prep though! i thought it was weird but she said no. wohoo made my day

No prep????

YIPPEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

The count down to kello's relief.........

.....eight days ........

Good luck, girl :)

I know what you mean about waiting... well sorta... I'm always waiting for my next Remicade... always saying "really... two more weeks of this?"

I hope you make it alright... dunno if you get mouth sores or not but just keep the Calmoseptine, Oragel Mouth Wash, Tylenol, Heating pads, rice, applesauce, blankets, and wipes close by.

Good luck chicka!

Hey Kello I ahve also had the ileostomy done, Had it from Week before thanksgiving till July. so if you have any questions feel free to ask. I know that i felt SOOOOOOOO much better the day after my surgery. Just remember to get those braces rubberband if you have this type of pouch with the clip. It is so helpful with keeping the pouch closed. This is basically what i had, it was good to have the cut to fit size because sometimes the stoma would be larger or smaller then others. http://www.medicalsupplygroup.com/OSTOMY/1_PIECE_DRAINABLE/COL5901/product.aspx I hope this might help a little, There is also some skin barrier stuff that comes in this tube that helps from stopping the stomach acid from damaging the skin just below the stoma. Also one BIG thing i learned in the hospital...... DON"T WATCH FUNNY MOVIES!!!!!!!!! laughing makes you hurt so bad first few days.... at least for me it did cause the came in with the camera above my belly button and had the ileostomy about 2 inches over to the right and 2 inches down. Let me know if you need anything

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
You got a date - yay!
And lookie - Mark had it done and had the reversal too?
Kello - I hope this makes you feel so much better!!
Good luck!

katiesue1506 said:
well... don't break a leg :)
*OR team drops kello while moving her and breaks her leg*

haha lmao i hope not!
thanks everybody!

@mark- haha i already have a billion of those little rubberbands from when i had braces years ago lol. i thought about throwing them away so many times, but never did. glad i kept them. and i dont know if i can not laugh for a few days, esp. if i feel better!

@katiesue- yep i get mouth sores. ive never tried the orajel though, i will look for that. and yes i keep all those things nearby, along with the percocets lol. theyre my only salvation atm!

kello82 said:
*OR team drops kello while moving her and breaks her leg*

haha lmao i hope not!
thanks everybody!
Funny you should say that, The OR staff didn't break my leg but with my first surgery I was in peds, I was sixteen, and the tables were small and I am five foot eight and I was too tall for the table and my head fell off the table and I hit the back of my head, all while unconscious. I woke up after surgery with a huge lump on the back of my head and thought for sure that I woke up with a brain tumor. It's funny now, not then.

it'll be great for you Kello.

I've had mine done now 4 and 1/2 months.
I went to see my surgeon yesterday and he asked my if I wanted a reversal yet, I said "Hell No".....

I've never felt better, I'm going to give it another 6 months and maybe reverse it then.

Like the others said, if you need advise when it's done, PM me or post here.

The only reason i had mine reversed was because i wanted to date without having to explain that, and be able to play sports and stuff. Other then that it made me feel tons better. However the whole bag filling up with gas thing at night was the worse.

Mark33180 said:
The only reason i had mine reversed was because i wanted to date without having to explain that, and be able to play sports and stuff. Other then that it made me feel tons better. However the whole bag filling up with gas thing at night was the worse.
That is a pain in the... well... side Mark:ylol2: :ylol2:

I sometimes get scared I'll roll over and burst it. But they're robust suckers.

@mommy- oh no! thats horrible! didnt they tell you? "umm miss, we dropped your head and thus you have a large lump." they shouldve said something!

ahh mark and dan! you guys are giving me that image from "Date Movie" i think where the giant pimple explodes everywhere lmao! unh! :( lol
ok but serious question now- does the gas depend on what foods you are eating or something? like, just how some people get gas from certain foods that others dont. is there anything to help with it? and why did it only happen at night mark?
and can you hear farting noises when the gas comes out of you, as in causing embarrasing situations.....

i think im gonna be like you in a few months dan "hell no." after years and years of painful poos and hours spent in the bathroom, i dont think i will be in a rush to regain that body function :D

thanks everyone else for your replies too. i will continue to update.

and jed, haha no that will not be me! if the give me a gown with no butt cover i will complain till their ears fall off

kello82 said:
ahh mark and dan! you guys are giving me that image from "Date Movie" i think where the giant pimple explodes everywhere lmao! unh! :( lol
ok but serious question now- does the gas depend on what foods you are eating or something? like, just how some people get gas from certain foods that others dont. is there anything to help with it? and why did it only happen at night mark?
and can you hear farting noises when the gas comes out of you, as in causing embarrasing situations.....
Let see Yes it does make the farting noises sometimes very quietly sometimes kinda loud but it gets kinda funny too. As far as the gas i don't know about if some foods cause more gas then others but i did notice that when i laid down it tended to produce more gas i don't know if that more because of physics, laying horizontal makes the gas flow more easily in the natural direction instead of flowing down against gravity. But i know there were several nights that i would wake up in the middle of the night and not have and "substance" in the bag but it looked like it was filled to the brim with air. and it was an easy thing to fix open release gas and close. just makes you have to change your sleeping habits and i had to sleep on my back.hard to sleep on my side when i had it.

Last edited:
ohh poo. i am a side sleeper. i never sleep on my back.
eh whatever. if i get to sleep with out tummy pains then i will lay any which way i need to!

thanks mark

just go to sleep knowing that you're not going to be woken by stomach cramps, marathon dash to the toilet, straining etc etc.... and it won't matter one bit which way around you're lying.

i'm a side sleeper, almost foetal position actually, and still do sleep this way even after my surgery.

hehe ok i guess sleeping positions are a personal preference
i guess i will just have to see then.

but yes, i will sleep like a rock no matter WHAT when those toilet marathons are gone.

lol ding fetal position for me too! on my side, legs bent up a bit, and arm under pillow :)
and then i switch when my hip falls asleep lol, so skinny that they go numb at night!

You can hear the farts, but you barely hear them unless your in a very quiet room.

The pouch fills up with gas at night time because the little filter at the top gets wet, cause your laying down. So the air doesn't get out easily, like it does during the day.

Oh, by the way, the filter works a treat, there is never a smell, that was something I worried about.

Ask to see different options, there are lots of different types of pouch.
I use a clip on pouch. It has a baseplate that stays on for up to 7 days, then I simply clip on the pouch each morning. That only takes 30 seconds to do.
Changing the baseplate can take me up to 20-30 minutes. I like to make sure I do it right.

Also, ask for different products. There is a variety of things to help you on the market. The best thing I found is a ring made of a almost marzipan (?) substance. It goes around the stoma and seals the baseplate.

If you want, I'll post the product numbers of my items for you.

ok, that makes me happier about the farts :)

dan does that mean that you change your bag every day? i thought it was every few days or so...

yes please for the product information. even if i cant get the exact thing, ill have an idea of what to look for/ask about.

i have heard about 2 other products:
i read somewhere about something that you place in the bag and it helps to absorb something. hmm im not sure if it was air? or excess liquid? does any of that sound right? what would you want to put in the bag? i think i read it on random internet searching....
and do you put any type of cream around the stoma to prevent any irritation from the output? is that even a common problem really, or just some people?

im sure i will have more questions.....lol but thank you this is so helpful

You can get sachets that make the output less watery,but I don't bother using them. I find that it just leaves a small hard lump in the bottom of the bag, surrounded by liquid.

It depends on what you've eaten, the output can be either very watery or like a soft BM.

There are sprays that can be used inside the bag to reduce smell, but again I didn't find them any good, and there are no issues with smell, unless you're emptying the bag.

The stoma itself, is actualy the inside of the small intestine, folded over. So it cannot get irritated in any way. It is used to dealing with BM's.
The place I find that can get irritated is the skin around the stoma.
But I use the marzipan rings that I mentioned earlier, since I started using them, nothing leaks under the baseplate onto the skin.

I do change it everyday, but like I said, it only take about 30 seconds. It just clips off and I clip another one on.
It's best to change the bag part everyday, because, as I mentioned earlier, the filter gets clogged overnight because your laying down. I found that as well as gas going out the fliter, some fluid can also leak out onto your clothes. But changing the bag every morning stops this.

If you decide on a 1 piece system, it's harder to change it everyday. You would probably only change every couple of days then. Thats why I like the 2 piece system.

I'll get the product numbers of my equipmnt for you to look at and decide for yourself.

okay yeah thats what i meant about the cream- to protect your skin that is not intestinal. but, makes sense that if you have a good baseplate/ring seal whatever then you dont even have to take the chance of irritation.
and i have heard a tad bit about 1 or two piece systems as well, it really does sound like the 2 piece are more convenient. and hey if all you have to do is change the bag in the morning and take 30 seconds and not worry about a potential leaky ness, then that sounds smart to me.

i was thinking about getting some of that Poo-Pourri that was discussed somewhere for the smell of emptying the bag :) i feel like i will be paranoind about that at first.
but my poo smells something terrible now anyways lol! thank you poor digestion.

does emptying the bag smell any worse than a regular poo?

Oh, I nearly forgot.

Talk to your surgeon about prolapse.
You have to be very careful after surgery, don't go lifting things for a few weeks, up to 6 weeks even.
Don't be afraid to let your parents/friends lift things for you.

I made the mistake of thinking I was fine, I started lifting my son and carrying boxes etc around the house. My stoma prolapsed, basically, it popped out about 3 inches further than it should.
This is a problem with a temporary stoma.

I had to go to hospital and get it pushed back it, in under anesthetic.

I now wear a support belt, purely for my own mind. It's an 8 inch wide, Velcro elasticated belt that goes around my waist.
They don't like us wearing this for a few weeks after surgery, to allow the abdomen to settle down, but it's fine after that.

Like I said, I only wear it for my own piece of mind at work.

No, it's no worse than our normal excretions....!!! Except first thing in the morning, when the bag as gas in it.
Actually it's probably better. during the day there is usually no gas in the bag, as it goes out through the filter. So it goes straight into the water where it's sealed in. So usually no smell.

I normally knell down on one knee to empty. It means it cannot splash everywhere. Unless, of course I'm in a public toilet, no way I'm knelling down in one of those....;)

danman said:
Oh, I nearly forgot.

Talk to your surgeon about prolapse.
You have to be very careful after surgery, don't go lifting things for a few weeks, up to 6 weeks even.
Don't be afraid to let your parents/friends lift things for you.

I made the mistake of thinking I was fine, I started lifting my son and carrying boxes etc around the house. My stoma prolapsed, basically, it popped out about 3 inches further than it should.
This is a problem with a temporary stoma.

I had to go to hospital and get it pushed back it, in under anesthetic.

I now wear a support belt, purely for my own mind. It's an 8 inch wide, Velcro elasticated belt that goes around my waist.
They don't like us wearing this for a few weeks after surgery, to allow the abdomen to settle down, but it's fine after that.

Like I said, I only wear it for my own piece of mind at work.
very good point Dan. also, no lifting for another reason - i gave myself an abdo hernia about 6 weeks after surgery by carrying the vacuum cleaner upstairs :(

ooo good to know, those things sound really bad :(

i already had a couple things on the risk/complication list that i will ask about as far as how to be careful and what to watch out for. it is

-obstruction
-hernia
-prolapse

-? any other things that this surgery gives you an increased risk for? im sure there is lol.

it sounds like much can be avoided just by being careful though. not lifting things like you both said, and watching your diet, etc.

Good luck Kello with your surgery. My thoughts are with you and hope everything goes well. Your attitude is an inspiration to me and I look foward to hearing how you get on.

Yay - my first post !
Just wanted to tell you I also had a temp ileostomy - it was an emergency after a resection burst and I have to say I reacted pretty badly to having it 'forced' on me. I had it for only 6 weeks and fortunately the reversal worked. That was 5 years ago and now in retrospect I think it wouldn't have been the end of the world if it had been permanent - these thoughts usually occur when I'm in 3 minute warning mode , desparately trying to avoid an 'accident' in my pants lol. It should be much easier for you as you know what to expect and have had some time to get used to the idea.

Wishing you all the best with the surgery

Hayley

Welcome to the forum Hayley.

Kello,
I was talking to one of my neighbours a while back, she's a nurse in a surgical ward. I was telling her about my experiences in hospital and described an obstruction I had on the third day after surgery.

She explained that this is very common. It happens most people after their illeostomy. The intestine becomes very inflamed and swollen, causing a temporary obstruction.

She said that the nurses in her hospital call it "Third day syndrome" :)

For me, the docs put in a small drain which worked a treat. I didn't even feel it going in, there's no feeling in the stoma. It stayed in for 24 hours and then everything was fine.

Just another wee thing that came to mind.

I don't know how it works in the States, but I had consultations almost every day with a dietition, before and after surgery. She explained all the foods to avoid for the first 4 weeks after surgery. It was really helpful.

hi hayley! another welcome to the forum. im sorry that you have your ostomy out of an emergency. man, it took me 4 years to finally get myself comfortabld and accepting of this idea, i would have been one unhappy camper if i didnt have that time.

danman- thanks for all the product links! i need to make a shopping list lol. im gonna get on the internet and start getting ready to order things, that way im not waiting too long after surgery to get them. though i know i will have everything i need from the hospital, but the more convenient items will be nice to have sooner than later. that is also good information about the obstruction, i will definitly be on the lookout for any weirdness.
the dietician is a great idea! i dont think i will be able to see anyone beforehand, trips out are really that bad. but i will ask to see someone in the hospital.

4 more days!!!!! lol mark yup yup. im so excited. and scared ah! but more excited i think :)

ah i thought of a question during one of my bathroom breaks while sleeping last night, but now i forget!!
bah, ill be back when i remember what it was. thanks guys!

i remembered!!

ok so mucous? surgeon told me that i can still expect to have the urge to go to the bathroom as the colon continues to make mucous (maybe blood) and will spasm and stuff like that. i expected that, it wasnt a suprise to me. he said maybe 3-4 times a day i would have to go.

what about you guys? how much comes out and is it a huge annoyance? i mean the urge to go only 4 times a day is a walk in the park compared to what it is now, but i am just wondering.

I had my ostomy for 12 weeks and I think I only went 2 or 3 times. It's actually a funny feeling because you get so unused to pooing that you're not sure what that sensation in your butt is. It comes out as 1 or 2 solid clumps.

That was just my experience and if your doc says that you will go 3-4 a day then obviously that is also possible.

Edit - Having said all that, about three days after the surgery to reverse it I barely made to the toilet the let out the most horrendous D ever. This was despite the fact that I was totally cleaned out and I hadn't eaten in 5 days. I don't know how much it was, but you could probably measure it in litres. I was probably just making up for the fact that I hadn't expelled much of the mucous in 12 weeks.

Last edited:
Hey Kello!

Sorry I've been out of commission for so long, I had a partial bowel obstruction/two day hospital stay on Monday so I missed this whole thread! Congrats on finally having an answer, I know I felt so relieved when I just knew what was going to happen.

Thoughts on above comments: all of what has been said above is true. Here are my two cents.

1. Make sure you have a Wound and Ostomy Care Nurse (WOCN) you can contact quickly, they are life-savers.

2. Hernia belts are both helpful to prevent prolapse and hernia, but also to keep the bag on more securely. I wear mine all the time.

3. After the first couple of weeks, don't be afraid to experiment with other kinds of bags, the companies will send you free samples. DO NOT SETTLE FOR A BAGGING SYSTEM THAT IS ONLY OKAY!

4. After my surgery, I had an ileus, which occurs when your bowels sort of get paralyzed from the shock of surgery. Though it was horrible at the time (week and a half with an NG tube down my throat) it really wasn't then end of the world. I think these kinds of obstructions or ileuses are the most common post-surgical problems.

5. When the nurse tells you (a) to get up and walk or (b) to wear the squeezy boots while in bed, DO! Blood clots are no fun and crohns patients are more prone to them (I speak from experience. :)

6. Go to www.uoaa.org discussion pages. I know I've recommended them before, but in terms of advice on how to deal with any problems, they are invaluable. HOWEVER, don't let the site freak you out. Much like here, people post on that site when they are having problems only. They don't come on and say, hey, I haven't had a problem in months.

7. Get yourself some sort of small, discreet bag (a make-up bag would work) that you can put a full ostomy change in and throw it in your purse or backpack when you leave the house. Especially in the first few months you may (won't necessarily) have to make some changes in public locations. Don't worry, its not as bad as it sounds as long as you have a change with you.

Okay, that's all the thoughts I have right now. It's all going to be okay! Life moves on, you get used it, and you'll feel SO much better!
Erin

I had mine when i was living in the dorms at school, so the public thing can be a little embarrassing at times but you end up getting over it

hi Hayley & welcome to the forum :)

Kello - re the mucus.. because the remainder of your colon & rectal passage is still a living part of you, although not 'connected' it will still produce it's own excretions which will pass through your rear end. if i remember rightly, this happened quite often just after surgery, probably as your doctor said about 4 times a day, but in time it settled down and hardly ever happens, i'd say round about once every 2 weeks or something.

i presume the amount and frequency may depend on how much colon is left following your surgery. but don't worry about it - it's certainly nothing compared to what you've been coping with recently!

Wow only 2 days left. How are you feeling Kello? Excited? Nervous? Anxious?

With what you have to deal with now, I imagine you can't wait to get it over and done with. Let us know how you're getting on. Good luck.

re the mucous- allright. definitly not a big concern really, bc anything will be 100x better than the amount of time i spend on the toilet now lol.
and as far as how much colon will be left, it will all be there. they are not planning on cutting out anything, just stricly doing the separation. (i suppose if theres an emergency or something looks wrong they will remove if they need to, but that is not in the procedure)

@pen- aw im sorry that my approaching surgery is making you feel unsure of your own treatment. you are trying to get cimzia, right? if i remember correct. that has a chance of working i really hope it does. i know you have had a lot of surgeries, i would hate to see you lose more intestine...

@erin- ooof sorry to hear about your obstruction. glad to hear youre back though! those are all really great suggestions, thanks! i have browsed the uoaa pages a lot recently, just reading about questions and posts from newbies like i soon will be. mostly about clothing haha! it is good to hear tips from other teen girls about how to be discreet. thanks for the peace of mind about that people only post when they have a problem, thats very true and i hadnt really thought about it. it is a little scary you keep seeing titles like "HELP! obstruction!" "hernia!" "leaking!" etc, and so it seems like something awful is bound to happen. but, there are plenty of people out there with few problems too.
we are working to find an ostomy nurse here in my area whom i can form a relationship with and be able to see quickly. my med team is in nyc, about 2 hr away from home for me, so a close by contact is a definite must!
and i DEF have done a lot of looking online at different bags and systems and will be sure to not settle until ive got the one thats right for me. i am hoping to see if mini pouches will be a good option for me. im pretty tiny, so the reg size bags are like the size of my entire abdomen itself!

@mark- i havent felt too worried about the public bathroom thing. maybe, is it a little differnt for guys and girls? girls have the ability to throw all our ostomy supplies in our purse and carry it into the stall with us, empty/change the bag whatever. and plus most restrooms usually have a mini trash bin in each stall for the other girly problem, so that means no walking out of the stall with a handful of weird looking ostomy supplies. and girls are known to take forever in the bathroom anyways!
yeah i can see how as a guy it might be pretty impossible to be discreet.

yuppp 2 days to goooooo!
ahhhhh! that is a cry of happy nerves :)

Great to see your sooooo positive Kello, keep it up.

As far as mucous is concerned, I've been Bagged (thanks Jed) now for over 4 months, I've only pass a BM twice in that time.

I haven't really had any urge to go to the bathroom at all. But I suppose everyone is different.

I have a local lady as my stoma nurse as was said earlier, she is a Godsend. She has so much practical advise. My surgeon is a 4 and half hour drive away, so it's great to have someone close by, if I need help.

Well, kello, tomorrow is the big day. I will be thinking of you and just know everything will go all right! Let us know how you did as soon as you feel up to it.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Good luck tomorrow Kello!! Do you know how long you will be in the hospital? Let us know how you are as soon as you're able. We'll be thinkinaboutcha! Hey - did I just make up a new word??
Try not to go through facebook/Crohn's forum withdrawal while your in there - I know it was hard for me just overnight on Friday, haha.

day before my op i drank a lot of beer, ate mcdonalds and KFC all day, and smoked to many cigarettes:D just in case i couldn't do it again for a while.

thinking of ya kello, take care you:)

you really can feel the love for kello in this thread.

definately a forum favourite.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :queen:

awwww guys that was the best :) post after post of lovin' :D i love you guys so much

well so obviously im alive :)
everything went really well. was in alot of agony immediatly after waking up, took them 4 hours in recovery to find a pain med that worked. so now im loaded with diuladad (sp?) and its pretty hard to even make sense of the keyboard atm lol.
but i wanted to get on here and say that all is well. todays plan is to remove the catheter, get up and walk a little, and then theyll let me start some clear liquids.

i am gonna go, but ill be back to explain more when i can see haha. and sit up a bit more....typing with one finger right now.

and for all the pain im in from th op......i dont have ONE agonizing poop cramp in me :D cannot even express what thats like!

Ahhhh I'm so glad all went well and you're even back here already! :)
Take your meds, get stronger, and keep us up to date with your recovery
when you feel up to it.

Big hugs~Nancy

aw Kello! so happy to hear from you :D and i'm delighted to hear it's all done & you're sounding ok! looking forward to your updates.. take it easy, i don't want to hear you've been running round the ward making cups of tea for everyone (like i used to haha) xx

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Kello!!!!! Yay! Feeling a teeny bit better already?? That's amazing! Just what you were going for huh?
Danny Gokey was thinking about you all night - he stunk cuz he couldn't keep his mind off of you.

Yippeeee! No more poop cramps :p

Get better soon and keep one eye closed when trying to focus while on the 'happy' drugs...lol

**HUGS**

Oh Kello, I am so happy all went well! I've been thinking about you. I hope the recovery will be an easy one for you. Let us know how you are doing when you can!

well i got home yesterday afternoon. tried to get online here to post, but internet wasnt working.

i am now off of those crazy drugs, so now i can type again.
the surgery went very well. everyone was happy with my speedy progress and how quickly my stoma functioned- i had poo/gas output on the first nightand they seemed very excited about this. my surgeon even said that he had done 3 other ostomy surgeries on the same day as mine and i was winning :D hehe
not much else to the hospital story- just waited until i could eat and pee and walk and then they said ok go home.

ugh but i still feel pretty bad. but the overall torn apart feeling in my abdomen has gotten better. right after surg i was in soo much pain. i have never ever EVER said 10 when they ask you to rate your pain, but i was 10 10 10!! i woke up when they mpved me from the OR table to the stretcher and i remember my legs shaking cause i was hurting so bad and they kept telling me to take deep breaths and i was like eff you it hurts to breathe! it took them 4 hours in the recovery to get me under control. ANDD!! omg the person next to me needed an xray so the guy came over and just threw one of the lead aprons across my abdomen! my mind was screaming but i couldnt even talk. ugh :( then i told my dad and he went over and gave the person in charge a piece of his mind. they didnt apologize. aholes.
well thats my horrible surgery story.

but it is better, yes. the staples are definitly the worst. i am eating better too-its weird i feel hungry, but then when i eat it feels gross going down, but then im hungry again when i stop. bah. im just trying to eat a lot of little bits.

the worst is that i am STILL hobbling to the bathroom. its so awful :( the mucous is practically spewing out of my colon still, so i have to hold my butt with one hand to prevent leaving a trail on the floor, hold my staples/stoma/bag with the other hand, all at the pace of a snail. and if my bag is a little heavy, forget it, it feels like my stpales are gonna fall out. my incision is really close to my stoma so my bag adheres to the incision. ow.
i had a big mucousy explosion into the toilet earlier so i hope that helps.

ugh i guess i am just exhausted. i am thankful for no more poop cramps. but the gas cramps- oh boy, those suck. and the mucous and the incision. its all a little much right now.

well, i guess this post was a bit of a downer. sorry. i know soon ill feel super though and forget about all of this. gotta get there.......

oh god. i just choked on my spit and it was horrifying. ive been lucky enough to avoid coughing/choking/laughing, etc so far. frik this!

Hey Kello.

Welcome back to the land of the living. How is the recovery going? I hope you take it easy for a while until your body fully heals.

Take care!

Dan

just so glad your at home to get your recovery underway properly kello.

life after surgery is never easy, but you sound like your fighting hard, congrats.

just make sure you take it nice and easy. and whilst its a horrible thing, i found a bucket next to my bed at night was helpfull to stop me needing to run all the way to the toilet if there was massive urgency.

better having something smelly to clean than hurting your surgery points.

take care lil one, thinking of ya.

aw Kello...

these are just the very early post-op nasty adjustments, they will pass, and soon that pain level will completely subside, along with the other things you're experiencing right now.

i think Jed's idea of a bucket is a good one. i remember feeling that even walking to the bathroom was like a marathon hike which i really couldn't face but had to..

have you been told about having a cushion to hug tight across your stomach for when you cough or sneeze? and if you know you're going to cough or sneeze, bring your knees up towards your tummy, & hold the cushion with your arms across it.

you've just brought such a clear memory back to me.. after my last surgery, lying in the post-op room, and this nurse peered into my eyes... i mouthed "it hurts", and she just said "press your button dear" really cheerfully. what? my brain couldn't even fathom what a button was at that point, nevermind comprehend that i had a pcas in... all i knew was hurt hurt hurt!!!

re the stoma flange sticking to the incision, can you cut a little of the adhesive area off, so that it doesn't cover your scar?

glad the stoma's working ok, and that you're eating... you'll be fine, just takes a bit of time.