• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Crohn's Forum-had it for 20 yrs

This is my story........
I've never joined a support group or really talked to many people about my Crohn's, I'm a pretty private person but I guess I'm ready. I'm 39 yrs old and was diagnosed with Crohn's at 18 after having a fistula with abscess to the abdominal wall. I had 3 surgeries in 3 months & they finally fixed the problem with resection. A few years later I had my first experience with partial obstruction (crazy vomiting, bright green bile) and was in the hospital for a few days with NG tube. Since then this has happened many times, sometimes I throw up and I'm okay, sometimes it's just terrible pain that comes and goes and finally resolves by itself after a few days? I was up all night last night with these same symptoms again with my stomach so distended it felt like it was about to burst, Horrible! If anyone has any experience with something that helps this I would love to hear it. My GI Dr said he couldn't get the scope through on last colonoscopy. I was wondering if they have to wait until there is a major obstruction to do something about it? That's pretty much what he told me. No surgery unless they absolutely have to. I have cut out a lot of foods from my diet thinking they're the cause but after reading some things online maybe it just happens no matter what you eat with strictures? I currently have multiple perianal fistulas (fun) and have started a whole list of meds including Humira but for the last few years I hadn't been on anything. Well, that about sums it up. Thanks for reading and I welcome any advice.

Welcome to the forum. I don't have anything to add or comment on, sorry. I have not had these experiences, but I wanted to bump this so hopefully someone with experience will comment. Have a look around the site. Hope you can find some answers.

Webtrician,
Welcome.
I had very similar symptoms/episodes as you. I ended up having a bowel resection and that helped a lot.
It has been ten years since my resection. I still take a lot of meds, and I have another stricture now, but as long as I am SUPER careful what I eat, I seem to be able to keep things under control. But, my diet is pretty limited and takes a lot of work.
When I do get a stricture now, (and I know this sounds crazy) but I have found an inversion table helps me. It seems like it "unplugs" whatever is plugged. (there are cautions you have to take with inversion table)
They don't like to do surgery, but it is better to do a planned one than an emergency one. We finally decided to do mine because my quality of life was so poor.

Thank you so much for your responses. I'll have to look up the inversion table as I've never heard of that before. So after 3 days of no food and lots of worry and feeling terrible, I think everything seems to be getting back to normal with this "could be" partial obstruction?! So glad. I'm so thankful I'm a stay-at-home mom, don't see how I could work with these problems. I would love to hear about your diet since I'm always unsure of things. I've been pretty careful about food but maybe not enough?