• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newbie and side effects of budesonide?

Hello my name is Amy, I have been struggling with IBS symptoms and possible Crohns for 4 years, I was 16 when it all started with extreme abdominal pain they hospitalized me for a week did a lot of tests including a colonoscopy which didn't show anything. I kept going to a GI they told me that it would probably show as Crohns as I got older, at 16 I didn't know how to deal with possibly having a disease I was angry at my body for it and turned to self harm and drinking to deal with it. I'm 19 now and just this past week had a colonoscopy it showed ulcers my GI officially diagnosed me with Crohns. My flare ups have been getting worse at times I cant leave the house cause I have no control over my bowels. I have a rash all over my faces and eyelids as will this is new for me from years of flare ups I have never gotten the rash before its embarrassing. But the whole reason I decided to join the forum is because I have been on budesonide to help during the flares, but I see my GI again in couple of weeks to talk about going on another medication I thought it would be good to have a place to go and talk to people about side effects and what they found helped them. Right now on the budesonide I cant sleep at night and my moods have been really low I'm struggling to keep control of my self harm yesterday I was really stressed and started drinking again. I know this is not helping my flare up no one has to tell me that. But I cant find much info on budesonide. Is depression a side effect?

Hi Amy,
I'm new here too - just joined today. I have previously been on budesonide and didn't suffer from any side effects - although I've been very lucky on that front with most of the drugs. However, I have had times when just the whole symptoms of Crohn's have left me feeling very low. Sometimes it's been hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and as you've said some of the symptoms can be crushingly embarrassing and that can take it's toll.

Luckily (or not!!) I've been through enough ups and downs over the years to be able to tell myself truthfully when I'm feeling bad that it will get better. Maybe not as quickly as I'd like, but in time.

If you think you might be experiencing depression as a side effect I would talk to your doctor about that ASAP. Crohn's is hard enough without adding side effects to the plate.
Hope you get the answers you need.
Kate

nogutsnoglory

Sorry you are feeling side effects from the drug. Steroids are only meant to be used short term to deal with a flare but ultimately you need a maintenance drug.

Entocort (another name for what you take) generally causes less side effects than prednisone because it's mainly released in the small intestine. http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=fe6530ef-1b23-451f-1290-0e3ef02ec1b5

I would urge you to discuss a maintenance immunosuppressant or biologic drug with your doctor so you can begin to want off of the steroids.