Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » Pentasa vs Salofalk vs Asacol

09-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
Daunting

Pentasa vs Salofalk vs Asacol

Hi everyone

I have crohns of the ileum, and I am presently on pentasa and entocort.

I am having a hard time swallowing the stupid pentasa pills, and I was wondering if there are any alternatives that could help with the location of my crohns. I remember being on Salofalk with my previous Gi but i do not recall if it was helping me or not, but as for some reading I have done it appears that Pentasa is the only one for that area, is this true.
Is there an alternative.

And I do know that i cannot crush or break the pentasa tablets as they will not dissolve in its respective area.

Thank you.

B12 injections started on 14/03/2013
Astmatic (ventolin when needed)
Paxil 15mg started again 18/09/2013
Synthroid .075mg
Lomotil as needed
Xanax to sleep when needed
Doctor switched me from Salofalk to Mezavant
Not sure why
09-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
Patricia56

You could check with your doctor to see if it comes in a capsule. My son had it when he was first diagnosed and the capsules could be opened and the little caplets inside could be taken by mixing with applesauce or pudding, etc.

Otherwise you have my sympathies.

What are they going to put you on while you're doing the entocort for a maintenance med? Entocort is for getting you into remission and shouldn't be used long term for maintenance.

Nothing I say here should be construed as medical advice. I am not a doctor. These are just my opinions.
09-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
Daunting

HI

I am not sure, I think he was thinking of trying to keep me on entocort for the long term which I am okay with, the side effects of entocort are minimal compared to the other drugs and he has said he has had other clients who have been on entocort for the long haul, he will just monitor my bones to make sure there is no osteoporosis starting, but i am also taking calcium supplements at the moment as well, trying to help with the sideeffects. I am rather scared to try the other medications, so I am comfortable with staying on the entocort for a bit with another 5ASA.
09-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Hey Daunting,

Matt is on Pentasa and in Oz medications come with a leaflet from the manufacturer. It states this:

How to take it

Swallow the tablets whole without chewing or crushing. You can also place the tablets in 50mL of cold water, stir rapidly and drink immediately.
Do not cut, crush or chew the tablets.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...e/fpcpentt.pdf
I imagine from the appearance of the tablet it contains small ?granules and hence why crushing, cutting or chewing would destroy the structure of the active ingredient.

Dusty. xxx
09-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Oops, didn't see your other question.

Pentasa tablets are designed to be released throughout the small and large bowel.

Salofalk is designed for release starting near the terminal ileum so if you have disease isolated to the terminal ileum it will also be suitable.

Asacol is large bowel only.

Dusty.
09-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
Daunting

Thank you dustykat, I may ask my Gi next week to try Salofalk again.

I cannot believe the different types of information on the internet nothing seems to be the same, I found one website that says that Salofalk is only for the large bowel, another said that Asacol is good for the TI, and than again I found another site that completed contradicted that.

Its amazing, the misinformation out there --- I think I will just ask my GI, but yes my first GI did put me on Salofalk, I don't recall how much it helped tho, but it cannot heard to try.
09-26-2013, 05:27 AM   #7
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Yep, the internet can be a godsend but then again it can be a bloody nightmare!

Pentasa is targeted to be released along the length of the small and large intestine.

Asacol is targeted for release in the large bowel, and Salofalk and Mesasal are targeted for release in the end portion of the small intestine (terminal ileum) and the large bowel (colon).

http://www.ibdclinic.ca/uploads/1207...ion-m68856.pdf
Dusty.
10-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
Daunting

HI All

I had my apt with my GI and he has switched me to Salofalk, he said that Salofalk is known to treat the terminal ileum and wants me to try it as, I am having a real hard time swallowing the pentasa, and I have been bloated more since starting the pentasa. Don't know if this is common or not, but i always tend to get the werid side effects of any given medication.
Thank you Dustykat you were right about Salofalk.
10-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update Daunting.

Good luck with Salofalk! I hope it does the trick...without side effects!

Dusty. xxx
10-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It's the same drill with the Salofalk - don't chew or crush. Been on it since 1990 with no side effects except for a bout of nausea the day after I started on it - not sure if that was a side effect or not as I haven't noticed it since.

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.
10-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #11
Tikell

I just started the Pentasa a few days ago. It seemed really daunting taking 6 capsules a day and they are so big......so I have just been opening them up and putting the little grains on my tongue and swallowing with some water. I hope that is okay?
10-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #12
Daunting

Hi Tikell
I was told never to crush or open or break, as the coating is very important its allows the medication to dissolve in the proper locations. This was my big problem, because I keep choking on them, I am almost done my bottle of pentasa and will be going on Salofalk for next, hoping I can swallow them easier, my Gi says that the Salofalk has a bit of a coating that should make swallowing easier.
Hope 0so. but before you continue taking them as you do, I think you should talk to your pharmacist or your GI.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » Pentasa vs Salofalk vs Asacol